Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
and is it really worth paying $110 - 140 to get it??
I need some quick advice so I can think about buying this latest version.
Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like long games that involve resource chains, logistics, and optimization? If "no" to any of those then don't buy it. If yes to all three then it's your perfect game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do, I do, but is there another game that could scratch that same itch for less $$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
If you’re unsure, try Cannes. It has been called R&B lite. Also made by Splotter Spellen.

And it’s very, very cheap ($10 and $12) on the BGG Marketplace.

Ugly as hell, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any game in the top 250 that is somewhat comparable? If not in actual similar mechanics then perhaps in general feel and dynamics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two threads less than an hour apart. I wonder if this game is now available or something...

What makes this game special?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordell Stetson
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A common suggest here is Neuland (be sure to play by the original rules) which is a game I enjoy. I can't compare the the two however because I'm still waiting for my copy of R&B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Neuland quite a bit. Its a different game for sure, but it asks some similar questions and is worth digging deeply. I certainly wouldn't call it light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I would broadly characterise Neuland as Roads & Boats the Personal Combat Game. The details are wrong of course, but it gets to some of the core characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Karen, you might also think of it this way:

If it is NOT for you, there won't be a reprint for several years to come. The game is popular enough that you at least will get the same amount of money back (I reckon) when you will resell, if not more...

...and I am guessing that the 140 is including the expansion, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
...and I am guessing that the 140 is including the expansion, right?

Nope

Won't be available with the expansion for anything less than $150 here in the US. (With $160-170 being more typical)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I paid about 150 at the fair, at their own booth, and I reckon that even 170 for a US import sounds fair (recalculated into Euros, that is).

If you can get it for less than 170, even better, but I would recommend getting the expansion, as well. If only to have the whole shebang (it adds quite a little bit of complexity to an already complex game, as well as a 5th and 6th player). Or to have an even better selling argument later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the best way to consider it is as the love child of Ora et Labora and Empire Builder (which is partially true; Uwe Rosenberg has always said Splotter was an influence, and EB is of course about transit and route building). If you like those two games and wish there was something to do with all the things you're moving in EB, or if you play O&L and wish there was a reason to move all those pieces around before turning them into other things, then you'll definitely love Roads & Boats.

Only you can say if it is worth it, but to me, R&B is a classic and remains one of the most elegant designs in gaming. For having very few rules that need to be remembered, the game carries an enormous amount of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ziemba
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am facing that same question so I bothered a friend who has the 3rd edition to bring it to the table quickly so I can give it a try. After two partial plays, I am still unsure given the price point. I will try to detail some of the opinions that surfaced during our games.

We only played it 3 player due to others in the game group who had tried it refused. These are very good gamers who play lots of things. They didn't say it was a bad game but it was not their cup of tea. It is a very long game that at times becomes micro-management of a ton of little chits. Not everyone likes that so consider if you will have gamers available to bring it to the table.

As the game progresses, your transportation empire will grow and building options expand. However, you are basicly still micromanaging more chits in a longer production chain from raw materials to intermediate materials to eventually your end goods which produce victory points. the lack of variety for such a long game does not entrall everyone.

The components aren't bad but do seem to lack given the price point. I suppose you are getting a ton of cardboard chits in addition to the wooden pieces (these are quite nice.

I would like to buy but am not sure if it would really get to the table for play. Most realistically, I would be playing with the friend who already owns the third edition so I have to rationalize owning my own copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Neuland. It is a tighter game, while R&B is more sprawling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be hard to get people to play it, but if you can find opponents it's totally worth the money. I think I paid around $85 for my copy half a decade ago (plus whatever &cetera cost when I picked it up), but I would have no problem with paying twice that today. (Well, assuming I could come up with the $ anyway). With very few exceptions, there's more game here than you can get from spending the same amount on a bunch of other games.

I did play Neuland once because people said it was similar to R&B, but I wasn't impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
I do, I do, but is there another game that could scratch that same itch for less $$?

As others have suggested, try Neuland or Cannes. Roads & Boats is way better than both, but they'll give you a pretty good idea of the type of game it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
I prefer Neuland. It is a tighter game, while R&B is more sprawling.

Me too. I like R&B but I'd rather play two or three games of Neuland which seems more tightly designed. What's more, most of the R&B players I know tend to not mess with each other, while good play in Neuland more or less demands players get in each other's business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
If you’re unsure, try Cannes. It has been called R&B lite. Also made by Splotter Spellen.

And it’s very, very cheap ($10 and $12) on the BGG Marketplace.

Ugly as hell, though.

I would not do this. I think Cannes is a poor predictor for R&B. Too basic, static and limited to be a useful comparison IMHO. There is a real risk that you will miss out on R&B due to the limitations of Cannes

P.S. For what it is worth, R&B is an excellent game if you think you would enjoy a game of building efficient networks. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Yang
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Just played a home made version today. As an avid eurogamer I'd say this game feels a little bit outdated. Although I can't pinpoint to any game at this moment, I do believe the optimization and chain reaction feel can be found in many modern euro games in a more streamlined and refreshing fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hegel325 wrote:
Just played a home made version today. As an avid eurogamer I'd say this game feels a little bit outdated. Although I can't pinpoint to any game at this moment, I do believe the optimization and chain reaction feel can be found in many modern euro games in a more streamlined and refreshing fashion.

I must admit, I play a lot of euro games, and I can't think of any games that give the feel of Roads and Boats. Certainly some games have optimization problems (Get logs to turn to wood to burn for heat, etc.), but roads and boats is much more than that, thanks to the spatial logistics puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.