Bill Sheppard

Alaska
msg tools
When building a deck for the first time, can I use any cards as long as its Base and as long as the deck conforms to that characters deck requirements?

Or do I need to use the recommended list to start with? Can I just go for the best cards right off the bat (within the rules of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LolSheeps wrote:
When building a deck for the first time, can I use any cards as long as its Base and as long as the deck conforms to that characters deck requirements?

Or do I need to use the recommended list to start with? Can I just go for the best cards right off the bat (within the rules of course.)

Follow the card type limitations on the character card (char stats are on the reverse side) and be sure to use the cards that say "BASIC". When starting, only the basic cards are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic is a trait that some cards possess
Base refers to all the cards from the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic / Base seems to be one of those phrasings I bet Mike Selinker wished he had a time machine for just so he could change one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LolSheeps wrote:

My experience has been that, with a few exceptions, the recommended deck is quite similar to any other deck that could be created using BASIC cards. One possible exception to this might be the selection of spells for a 2-3 vs. a 4-6 player game...more of an emphasis on Cure and combat spells in the former, more of an emphasis on Detect Magic for the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calthaer wrote:
LolSheeps wrote:

My experience has been that, with a few exceptions, the recommended deck is quite similar to any other deck that could be created using BASIC cards. One possible exception to this might be the selection of spells for a 2-3 vs. a 4-6 player game...more of an emphasis on Cure and combat spells in the former, more of an emphasis on Detect Magic for the latter.

Actually, I totally change up spell choices for most of the spellcasters when I make decks. Lem and Lini do great with blasting spells, which aren't in the recommended decks. Seelah may or may not want something different from Cure, depending on who she's with. And I'm not a fan of evasion spells in general, so I tend to leave them out in favor of more blasting, Cures, or Detect Magics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.