Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yoshihiro miura
United States
dobbs ferry
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I kind of feel bad for asking all these questions but I just wanted clarification for some of these:

- If you have the curse where you permanently lose your die if it falls off the table, if you catch it in mid-air before it hits the ground is it safe?

- With Quests it says the Chalice room is now a quest. That implies it is now a requirement to get out of the temple as opposed to before where you didn't need to worry about it if you didn't reveal the room correct?

- With the Obelisk chamber, I'm assuming that if you get an illusion room adjacent to it, a gem tile is put down and it remains there even after the door closes and the illusion room is no longer there?

- How many gems do you put in the depot as the standard difficulty for a 6 player game? (If you look at the trend in the numbers it looks like 17?)

I had a general idea for most of these but I just wanted to see if people played differently or have different thoughts.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yoshi879 wrote:
- With Quests it says the Chalice room is now a quest. That implies it is now a requirement to get out of the temple as opposed to before where you didn't need to worry about it if you didn't reveal the room correct?

I'm pretty sure if you include the treasure room, you MUST ALWAYS discover it and move the chalice to the exit tile before you can escape. This is the case in either expansion. I usually keep the chalice in the gem depot until I find the treasure room, so I remember that it's a win condition.

That being said, the great thing about escape is you can mix and match modules and even tailor rules to your taste. Unless you're using the designer's scoring rubric, there's no reason to stick to the printed rules. Just agree to house rules before you start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
yoshi879 wrote:

- With the Obelisk chamber, I'm assuming that if you get an illusion room adjacent to it, a gem tile is put down and it remains there even after the door closes and the illusion room is no longer there?

This came up in a thread about on room rotation.

When a side of the obelisk chamber no longer has a room, the gem is remove back to the depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Catching a die mid-air, means you dont lose the die. If it falls onto something else, like the chair or something, it is lost.

Chalice must be discovered and completed if included in the deck.

The standard number of gems used with 6 players is given in the illusions rulebook (I believe it is 18?), but you should note that this 'standard' is easy difficulty. Most players in this forum should probably add +3 or +6.

Obelisk + illusion chamber: return the special obelisk gem to the depot if the illusion chamber is removed. You will have to explore near the obelisk again (or you'll need an extra key when using the exit, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yoshihiro miura
United States
dobbs ferry
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the responses, it was very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yoshi879 wrote:
I kind of feel bad for asking all these questions but I just wanted clarification for some of these

No problem! (and your questions directed issues that were not properly covered by the rule book, so it's good to have them answered here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaesthetic wrote:
17 gems is standard with 6 players (but the 'standard' is easy difficulty)

In case somebody comes to this thread in the future: This is incorrect. The Illusions rulebook specifies 18 gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinA wrote:
In case somebody comes to this thread in the future: This is incorrect. The Illusions rulebook specifies 18 gems.

Oops! Thanks for the correction - I edited the wording in my post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know if we are playing something wrong, but we have always found every printed gem count guide to be VERY VERY easy. We always throw in 5-10 more depending on experience levels of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I don't know if we are playing something wrong, but we have always found every printed gem count guide to be VERY VERY easy. We always throw in 5-10 more depending on experience levels of the players.

I'll jump in here... sounds like you're playing wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

How much time do you have remaining? If you are finishing before the second gong with new players and the recommended gem count, you are probably doing something wrong.

We up the gems by 3 when introducing it and usually finish after the third gong. For experienced players we add expansions and at least another 3 gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I don't know if we are playing something wrong, but we have always found every printed gem count guide to be VERY VERY easy.

Most first time players find the game difficult enough with the suggested number of gems. However, once you get used to the mechanics and particularly if you play with experienced gamers, things might soon get too easy. The number of gems suggested in the rules were actually meant just as "beginners' difficulty".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Typically the first time with any new players, we do lose. But the second game with the printed gem count will be won with at least a minute left. I've only shared the game with 6 or 7 people, but this seems consistent.

And this is with entirely skipping the basic rooms.

I've double checked the rules and we didn't screw anything up that I'm reading. I'd imagine if we did a video review of our play sessions some questionable moves might be made regarding the unlocking of black dice as that is the most complicated bit of information to communicate. (we play it as if you know you are in the same room as another color and have some extra gold dice just should "[COLOR] unlock 2" and immediately reroll your gold dice - they can use it or not as they see fit.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Are you talking about the Beginner difficulties listed on pg. 2 of the rulebook? Yeah. Without expansions those are very, very easy. (And even with expansions they're pretty easy.)

I don't think you're doing anything wrong: The rulebook tells you to add 3-6 gems to increase the difficulty once you're no longer a beginner. If you're playing with only 2-3 players, the game can still be won (although very challenging) if you go all the way up to +10 as you say.

(With 4 or more players, adding +10 gems to the listed totals will actually make the game impossible to win: There are only 18 slots to place gems. So if you increase the total gem count to 23 you'll need to roll 6 keys on 5 dice at the end of the game and that's impossible.

The Treasure expansion will make it possible to bypass that for 24-26 gems, but you have to get increasingly lucky with your treasure draws. The Illusions expansion effectively removes the cap for any meaningful number of gems because you can cycle back through the illusion tiles and complete them again. I think the theoretical maximum number of gems you can achieve is 38, but you'd have to get through all six illusion chambers between every gong which seems like an implausible pace.

You could also increase the size of the draw stack by mixing and matching expansions, although I suspect the game could get very swingy in its difficulty level if you did that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rule I was missing that made it too easy: the rooms with on, two and three gem spots, you may only choose ONE of those, not all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.