Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played one game so far, and I am still trying to figure out efficient tactics. This tricky Teknalia strategy occurred to me today, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

-Start the game by buying 3 Refineries.
-Stay out of the first battle, naturally.
-On your second turn, sell 1 of the Refineries, getting 100c back. You should have 2950c. Purchase 2 Laboratories, 2 Destroyers, and buy Armor for one of those Destroyers.
-Carefully determine whether to participate in combat. Probably not a good idea, as your opponents will likely have Fighter Squadrons flying about, and they can take down your precious Destroyers very quickly.
-You should be starting the 3rd turn's Outfitting stage with 1300c. Sell one more Refinery and buy a third Destroyer and a third Lab.
-Participate in combat this time, trying to grab another planet. The rest of the build assumes that you have succeeded in this.
-In the following turn your should have at least 1300c to play with. Buy a blast shield and put it on your armoured Destroyer, and then outfit another Destroyer with a magnetic target and 2 sets of armor, at a total cost of 700c, leaving you with 600c.
-Assuming you have managed to grab at least one planet so far, you should be able to buy a Spaceport and use the new fleet slot for a Repair drone; if you are able to get 2 drones, do that. Sell a Laboratory, getting 400c back. Buy Armor for all of your Destroyers.

The point of the build is to have 3 very tough Destroyers as the core of your fleet by turn 5 with an average economic position (Refinery, 4-6 fleet limit, tech 2). The Destroyers represent an investment, as unlike FSs and Cruisers, they will survive a long time and participate in many engagements, effectively reducing your army costs for the rest of the game.
From turn 5 on you could stay on tech 2, adjusting to your opponents' fleets' compositions, or even go down to tech 1 by selling one more Lab and just spam Cruisers with armor and laser cannons. As Destroyers and Drones are vulnerable to mass FSs, you should buy Minefields regardless of your transition.

The obvious problem is that you will likely be a planet behind early on due to the passive opening.

So, does this seem viable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud VERBEEREN
Belgium
Sint-Agatha-Berchem / Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth the try...
I have to say that out of the 3 games I played so far I think only one had more then 5 rounds. (we played 1 short and 2 normal games where the winner usualy only needs 2 planets to win) So that might be a problem for your slow build.

Other then that, in the longer variant, I'd say: give it a go and let us know how it went!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud VERBEEREN
Belgium
Sint-Agatha-Berchem / Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other then that, I can think of a few event-cards that can really skrew you over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a shorter build, designed for a Cruiser w/ 2 repair drones and tech 3 by turn 3.

--turn 1, 2000c
2 refineries, 2 labs, 1 cruiser w/ hyperdrive
--turn 2, 1400c+
Sell 1 refinery
1 lab, 2 repair drones, equip armor on cruiser
--turn 3, 1600c+
Sell 1 refinery
1 spaceport, 1 repair drone

The point is, you can use Teknalia in 2 very interesting ways:
-To recycle Refineries, getting a partial income benefit (150c income +100c return) while keeping building slots open.
-To get tech 2-3 gear early on in the game and use that to her advantage, then sell off the laboratories and use the returns to improve her fleet. Repair drones and Destroyers is a strong combination (I got to test that theory yesterday, and it paid off), and the Hyperdrive upgrade seems designed to help out Fighters; all of these items are tech 2-3, so normally a player investing in acquiring them early on would suffer by having a smaller fleet. Teknalia mitigates that by selling off her buildings to keep up on units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
arnaud_vb wrote:
Other then that, I can think of a few event-cards that can really skrew you over...

True. These Teknalia builds are very risky. I'll be experimenting as much as I can and I'll post when I have a definitive answer as to whether these are viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another game today, and the builds proposed above were pointed out to be very inefficient by my competitively-minded friends. Specifically, recycling refineries. Teknalia shines more with the Labs and Cyber factories, as those are expensive and the return on them is at least 80%, not to mention there is no downside, as you get to keep the benefits. I will work on better builds.
Anyone else have any tricky builds or strategies to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric GUERARD
France
Lille
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your analysis of Teknalia's ability is good.

There are - at least - two different ways to play it:
- Low Tech: selling Refineries and Laboratories
- High Tech: selling Cyber Factories and Laboratories

Selling Spaceports, Planetary Supports and Command Centers make you lose their benefit directly, so it is generally less attractive to sell them unless you need the money.

As a Low Tech strategy, you can try :
--- Turn 1 ---
You start with 2000 Cr
Buy :
- 1 Laboratory
- 1 Spaceport
- 2 Refineries
- 4 Fighter Squadron + 2 Cannon Laser
You keep 0 Cr
--- Turn 2 ---
Sell 1 Refinery
Buy :
- 1 Spaceport
- Replace the FS that you lost (+ Laser Cannon)
--- Turn 3 ---
Sell 1 Refinery
Buy :
- 1 Spaceport
- Replace again the FS that you lost (+ Laser Cannon)
- You can buy some Planetary Support if you have extra money and some free slot
--- Turn 4 ---
At this turn, players will start to be able to win
So sell 1 Laboratory to earn 400 Cr extra money and spam FS and Spaceport

With this strategy you have to be very agressive and go to fight each turn. If you can't win the planet, try to make the more damage than possible on enemies fleet (by destroying expensive stuff).

As a High Tech strategy, you can try :
--- Turn 1 ---
You start with 2000 Cr
Buy :
- 3 Laboratories
- 1 Refinery
- 1 Repair Drone
You keep 100 Cr
--- Turn 2 ---
You start with 1250 Cr
Sell the Refinery, you have 1350 Cr
Buy :
- 1 Cyber Factory
- 1 FS with Magnetic Target and Evasion
- 1 Repair Drone
You keep 100 Cr
Don't go to fight
--- Turn 3 ---
You start with 1100 Cr
Sell the Laboratory, you have 1500 Cr
Buy :
- 1 Destroyer with 4 Armor
You keep 0 Cr
Go to fight but take care of your stuff (the Destroyer at least)
--- Turn 4 ---
Sell the Cyber Factory and buy a lot of Tech 2 stuff

This build is interesting but slow. It becomes much more interesting if you get a "Secret Conspiracy" or "Deposit Discovery" at first turn.

Of course, this is only example, you have to adapt to the situation and try new strategies. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The second build is pretty awesome, the drones/target-evasion fighters combo is very strong early in the game. Teknalia is currently my favourite leader because of tricks like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.