Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't too hooked on 2 player Agricola(too much denying and too much focus on family growth), I do however like A:ACBaS.

How dose Caverna feel like with 2 players? Dose it loose some of the interaction that is present with more players?
Are some strategies significantly stronger/weaker with 2?
Would you recommend it as a 2 player only game? Or would you say that there are better 2 player worker placement games out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinwë
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Donkeys!! ^^
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played one 2p caverna. All I can say for now is that it's much less focussed on family growth and there's not much denying. It's definitely more complex than a:acsb. We enjoyed our play a lot, time will tell if it's really good in 2 or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play a lot of 2p games. We have played this twice and we really like it. We actually tied in our second session... TIED! But that's how we play. We are very good about watching each other and blocking what the other person needs. Even though there are plenty of actions to take, we play off each other well. For example, when she took a lot of rubies, I built the ruby bonus tile even though I didn't need it. I didn't want her to double score her rubies.

In the first session, she farmed and I did weapons. Both of us stayed with just 2 dwarves. In the second session, I focused on farming with some dabble in weapons. She went primarily weapons with a dabble in farming. I went with 3 dwarves while she kept two. And there are still many other strategies I want to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Olsen
msg tools
mbmb
I concur with the other posters. I've played about 5 games with my girlfriend now and we tend to play quicker/easier 2p games but this has fast become our go-to game now. There are a lot of different strategies to try and while isn't a huge amount of denying you still need to keep an eye on what the other person is doing and every once in a while you get a "Aww crap that's what I was going to take!"-moment.

Every time we've played the scores has been within 5 points and one draw.

The game length is also really nice with 2p, long enough to feel that setup and takedown is worth it but not so long it takes up the whole evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long would you say it is with 2 players on average?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Olsen
msg tools
mbmb
The times we've played it it has clocked in at an hour or slightly above. The 30 minutes per player seems to be very accurate once you get to know the game a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
How long would you say it is with 2 players on average?

Actual game play takes us 90 minutes, but that's with interruptions from our 15-month old daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hallett
United Kingdom
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great 2 player game, really enjoy it and 30 mins per person is about right once you know the actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steenbjerg
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played it twice with my wife. And we both agree that this is going to be one of our best two player games. There is lots of interaction and replayability.
It is clearly designed to work with 2 player in my point of view.
Definitely worth recommending
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's A:ACBaS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
What's A:ACBaS?

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it approx 10 times with my son (2-p games, thus);
It came to us that some combos are really very powerful and do not seem equilibrated for 2 players; We have played Caverna only once with 4 players. Therefore, i do not have enough experience to say whether the same problems occur with 4 (or more) players.
Nevertheless,our experience in the two-players configuration is:
the Bureau tile (this is the French name, maybe Office in EN?), the one that allows to place a twin tile so that it extrudes from the board is very powerful. It gives 2 gold everytime + much more space for cattles and crop fields than if you do not have this tile. ANd if you manage to combine it with the Brasserie (Brewery? ), then this is an explosion of points, and a certified victory !
Likewise, the one that gives VPs for each pair of ore is also not well-balanced for the two-player configuration, I think. It is not difficult to get ore, and this tile is not expensive.
On the contrary, the one that gives 2 VPs for one Wheat and one Vegetable cannot be recommanded. In the two-player config, Vegetables cannot be obtained easily. You do not find it on any action space; the only way to get it is to arm one of your dwarf with at least a force of 6. The second way is to exchange a ruby against a vegetable, but ruby arrive too late in the two-player config. In addition, to buy this bonus tile, you need to give 2 Wood (or 2 stones, I can't remeber well) AND 2 Vegetables ! You lose two Vegetables to buy it while it scores with vegetables that are difficult to obtain!

These are our impressions.
Please feel free to comment and to exchange ideas on these observations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John C
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are having a challenge with the game. Due to strategic placement, if one of us goes ore/weapon and the other farming, it seems that player is going to dominate the entire game, even if they only do it until the first harvest.

Is that not an accurate perception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paasca wrote:
I have played it approx 10 times with my son (2-p games, thus);
It came to us that some combos are really very powerful and do not seem equilibrated for 2 players; We have played Caverna only once with 4 players. Therefore, i do not have enough experience to say whether the same problems occur with 4 (or more) players.
Nevertheless,our experience in the two-players configuration is:
the Bureau tile (this is the French name, maybe Office in EN?), the one that allows to place a twin tile so that it extrudes from the board is very powerful. It gives 2 gold everytime + much more space for cattles and crop fields than if you do not have this tile. ANd if you manage to combine it with the Brasserie (Brewery? ), then this is an explosion of points, and a certified victory !
Likewise, the one that gives VPs for each pair of ore is also not well-balanced for the two-player configuration, I think. It is not difficult to get ore, and this tile is not expensive.
On the contrary, the one that gives 2 VPs for one Wheat and one Vegetable cannot be recommanded. In the two-player config, Vegetables cannot be obtained easily. You do not find it on any action space; the only way to get it is to arm one of your dwarf with at least a force of 6. The second way is to exchange a ruby against a vegetable, but ruby arrive too late in the two-player config. In addition, to buy this bonus tile, you need to give 2 Wood (or 2 stones, I can't remeber well) AND 2 Vegetables ! You lose two Vegetables to buy it while it scores with vegetables that are difficult to obtain!

These are our impressions.
Please feel free to comment and to exchange ideas on these observations.

The Office always seems to come up as the top dog building in most cases. Would be interesting to discuss how it possibly can be countered. I guess the only viable route it trying to block the action spaces which let's you build fields and caves etc, but is it possible to do in any meaningful way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.