BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeon crawlers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madis -
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Currently I'm currently trying to find myself a new board game and I would like to try out some dungeon crawlers. Currently I'm a bit stuck choosing between D&D Wrath of Ashardalon and Descent - my main concerns are that I don't have a lot of friends who play board games so max 2-3 players also I've only played board games over a year so I'm not that experienced and I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed with rules of decent and also noticed that Decent is recommended to play with +3 players which can be tall order for me .
Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Potter
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Descent 2.0 vs any of the D&D board games. D&D games are boring and I really enjoy the overlord mechanic of Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Holder

Concord
North Carolina
msg tools
My group loves descent, we have played ashardalon as well and find it playable but not as fun. The things we like about descent are; campaign rules, item shopping between adventures, the story many times feels more important than rush in and slay everything in sight. Hope this helps, the dnd games are good but I would put my money on descent everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madis -
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both ! But how does Descent play out as 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend jumping straight to Descent too. It's just such a great, immersive game that going with one of the D&Ds is only a good option if you're really into the storyline/novels.

Plus, the 2E rules aren't that bad. If you understand the basics of a dungeon-crawler, you're half-way there. The LOS rules can be a bit wonky, but if you just follow them to the letter, they're easy, like all other rules.

If you're intimidated by the campaign mode, pick up The Trollfens expansion. It includes a mini-campaign option that consists of only 5 episodes instead of the standard 9(?).

Lastly, it's still fun with 3 (heck, I'm thinking 2 wouldn't be that bad either). So if you think you can usually have 2 others, you'll still have a great campaign. On the nights when you can't round up a third, have your wife manage two characters.

So now with all that said, if you want a simpler, 2p dungeon-crawler, take a look at Claustrophobia. But I'm telling you now it's nowhere near the immersive, strategic experience D2E delivers.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Descent 2nd ed plays just as well with 2 players as it does with 3+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Behal

Newtownabbey
Antrim
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having tried both games I am another one for Descent 2nd Edition.

The D&D games have the advantage of being easier to play but it looses the epic levels that Descent brings to the table. In D&D you go up a level during the adventure while in Descent is more Experience Points based so you are able to personalise your character with many more options without making too complex.

D&D games are great as a gateway to get players to play D&D 4th edition they are simple and quick, set up takes almost as long as gameplay. If you like to play solo missions this game will alow it as there is no DM/Overlord which is the only flaw I see in Descent as it will be 1 player versus the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine you'll find a lot more votes for Descent. It is a more much expansion and deep game. A 2 player game can start to feel like a head to head game.

The only real advantage Ashardalon has is that it doesn't need an overlord player. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ashardalon has a very limited campaign option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.