Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two young boys (2 & 3 y/o). While I was at work today, they found a way to get into the game room (I'm still not sure how). They pulled down 6 of my games and lined them up end-to-end on the floor. When my wife found them, they were "walking across the bridge". A couple of the newer games now look like I've had them for a while. But, no serious damage was done. They got in trouble for going into a room that they knew was off limits. But I'm secretly glad that they are so interested in the games. I'll just have to find some higher shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, time to contact an adoption agency!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fletton
England
Kettering
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of years ago I came home from work to find that my 3yo daughter and her friend had managed to get into our bedroom and raided a whole shelf of games. Luckily it was the shelf with the 'family' games on. They had emptied all the boxes on the floor and, I guess, danced all over the contents. Pieces had been snapped off bases (the worst damage was the lovely horses in the really nasty horse racing game were all snapped of the bases). Cards from most of the games had been creased and money torn. As I say, luckily she went to the 'right' shelf and most of the games never saw the light of day anyway (cluedo, monopoly etc.) but still a very upsetting day.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxes are made to be destroyed. It's what's inside that counts. And years from now, when your boys are grown, you'll look at those crushed boxes and remember when they were young. They've given you a gift; enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a very good reason why I bought a full shop cabinet from Home Depot and built it in the garage. A very good use of $100.

Upside: my toddler son is obviously not allowed in the garage with the pointy pointy sharp things and icky burny chemical things, so the games are perfectly safe. The cabinet itself is raised a bit off the ground, so if something spills in the garage I'm covered. (For earthquakes, mudslides and brushfires, I've got way bigger problems to think of.) The garage is also next to the kitchen, so it's mightily convenient for game nights.

Downside: I keep to a self-imposed limit on purchases -- I can't buy more than the cabinet will hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
My Sons are now 12 & 9 but they´ve never touched my games without permission, maybe it is respectshake, maybe the electric fence and the minefield.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small room off limits as its full. To emphasise the fact i removed the door handle, now you need to use a screwdriver or spoon handle to get in. Is this safe? no I saw my son (3) with a spoon copying me trying to get in to see the dragons.
Locks have now also been installed.
Why take the door handle off? Took it off for painting the door, one of the handles was last seen in the hands of my daughter (2 at time) and has never been seen since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Krasnicki
Poland
Wawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I must confess I'm in very comfortable situation. My 2 yrs old daughter knows very good which games belong to daddy and which to hers. Mine seem to be out of her interest as today. But soon... who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
When my son was 5 he took out my old copies of Axis & Allies and Fortress America and had a blast lining up all the "little army guys" all over his room and having wars. The downside? Neither game will ever be complete again. The upside? I replaced Axis & Allies with the new edition and now my son is 14 and plays wargames and eurogames with me constantly.

I'll take that tradeoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
Boxes are made to be destroyed. It's what's inside that counts. And years from now, when your boys are grown on that desert island somewhere in the Pacific, you'll look at those crushed boxes and remember when they were young. They've given you a gift; enjoy it.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I gave my two girls (3 & 4) a big stack of their own games to play with. They know which ones are theirs and which ones are mine. When they lose pieces to their games and can't play them... they learned that lesson real quick. I also let them help me unpack any new games. It lets them get their "touchy feely" fix and I'm cementing a love for games in them (I hope). The Big Mouth Billy Bass surveillance system goo works well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do two things.

One, I let them have their own game. Their list is about 10 or so.

also, I buy a game every few months that is theirs. The most recent being Dogville.

I do have to play these with them, but it keeps them in the gaming club without ruining anything in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
wargamer66 wrote:
Wow, time to contact an adoption agency!

shake well, let's NOT get too "extreme" for their little "indescretions", while I have 'heard' that within the "Baby Black Market", then a "toddler" can fetch upwards of $30,000! That's a whole "lotta GAME love" that can then be obtained instead. Probably more so were you to 'contact' the likes of ole "Whacko -Jacko" This implied 'threat' alone, ought to deter the "young-uns" from continuing their "behaviours", and placing a photo of HIM nearby should do the 'trick' as well.
P.S.-TELL them that they'd ALSO be forced to become "French"!
[i]"that'll LEARN `em!"
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
f-p-p-m wrote:
My Sons are now 12 & 9 but they´ve never touched my games without permission, maybe it is respectshake, maybe the electric fence and the minefield.devil

Where did you get the electric fence? And what about the minefield? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

"that'll LEARN `em!"
surprise

That wouldn't work for my kids... we are French...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

"that'll LEARN `em!"
surprise

That wouldn't work for my kids... we are French...

Tell them you'll send them to live in Detroit. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My then three year old got into my gaming "stuff" once. The only damage done was the forcible removal of all of the stickers on my AH Battle Cry. That was about a year ago. Luckily, I was able to find someone on the AH boards that had a scan of the sticker sheet and just last week, someone "cleaned up" the sticker scan for me. Now things are just peachy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
Robrob wrote:
Tell them you'll send them to live in Detroit. surprise

Hey, Detroit has enough problems without sending game-wrecking kids here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.