Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can we get official clarification on what happens in this situation?

Character 1 and 2 have ended their movement in a room. On each side of this room are two zombie groups (not tokens).

Z1 is a group of regular zombies. Since they can now attack and move two squares, do they move down and then to the left to end their movement directly below the survivors? Or do they not move because of one of the following reasons:

1. They do not move because moving downward contradicts the rule that zombies will always move TOWARD a triggering tile.

2. They do not move because they will not end their movement closer to the survivors.

Z2 is a group of zombies containing the Disco Doll, so this group can move 3 spaces. Does this group move down, right, and up to reach the survivors? Or do they not move because of one of the following reasons?

1. They do not move because moving downward contradicts the rule that zombies will always move TOWARD a triggering tile? If this is the case, when would the Disco Doll's 3 movement come into play?

I believe I know the answers to these questions, but there seems to be some confusion in the community, so perhaps this is an opportunity to clarify (and perhaps I'm wrong).

Thanks David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how I would play it - the zombies would move. They are currently 3 spaces away from the heroes. After moving they would be 1 space away from the heroes (or ON them for the disco dolls). Hence - I would class that as moving TOWARDS the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know in another thread David said the easiest way to think about that ruleis not that zombies will ever move away, but more that they won't move if the movement would leave them farther away from a survivor. I think that answers your question, they would both move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
I know in another thread David said the easiest way to think about that ruleis not that zombies will ever move away, but more that they won't move if the movement would leave them farther away from a survivor. I think that answers your question, they would both move.

Yes, this is how I've been playing it. Thought I'd throw this up though b/c some people have been pretty confused about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been trying to ask questions about this, but not the question you have posed. I agree that both zombies should move in this case.

The issue of "closer" is what I would like a answer on. I posed the question using the example in the rule book substituting a horde for the dog. You said that the zombies would be further away after movement (2 tiles vs. diagonally adjacent). The issue I have is that the creature would move because the rules define it as being "closer".

It seems that closer for creatures is dependent on path length, but closer for zombies is defined by distance in tiles (and furthermore ignoring that there is no movement diagonally).

David answered that thread saying the difference is in the triggering of the two, but since either would be triggered in that scenario, it would mean that your answer was incorrect, the zombie horde would move, and "closer" is totally defined by path length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
I have been trying to ask questions about this, but not the question you have posed. I agree that both zombies should move in this case.

The issue of "closer" is what I would like a answer on. I posed the question using the example in the rule book substituting a horde for the dog. You said that the zombies would be further away after movement (2 tiles vs. diagonally adjacent). The issue I have is that the creature would move because the rules define it as being "closer".

It seems that closer for creatures is dependent on path length, but closer for zombies is defined by distance in tiles (and furthermore ignoring that there is no movement diagonally).

David answered that thread saying the difference is in the triggering of the two, but since either would be triggered in that scenario, it would mean that your answer was incorrect, the zombie horde would move, and "closer" is totally defined by path length.

Yes, I responded that your interpretation of the distance thing was correct and I was wrong. Closer is in terms of how many tiles a creature would have to move to reach the survivors. It will move if the path is open and it reduces that number of spaces to get to the survivors.

However,

The horde would not move in the example in the book with the dog because the zombies would have to move away from the survivors. I've stated this multiple times in response to your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How I am currently resolving the rules is:

Triggered zombies will move toward the survivors using the shortest route available but will not move if they have to leave the trigger zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:

Triggered zombies will move toward the survivors using the shortest route available but will not move if they have to leave the trigger zone.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:

Exactly.
It is the triggering zoner that determines the movement.
In both cases the movement would result in the zombies ending their movement closer to the survivors. Not in "tiles", but in "route".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you basically saying that as long as they would always stay in the triggering zone the zombies move?

From the example given I figured they would both move because the disco zombies actually reach the characters while the others remain the 1 tile away so they did not move away from, and they are also closer in terms of actual route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
The horde would not move in the example in the book with the dog because the zombies would have to move away from the survivors. I've stated this multiple times in response to your question.

In the example in the book, if all locks are removed, and there are zombie instead of the dog, would they move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giga wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

In the example in the book, if all locks are removed, and there are zombie instead of the dog, would they move?

NO, they will not move. David says that Zombies will not leave the trigger zone. It's an easier way to look at the rule that they will not move away from the Survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
giga wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

NO, they will not move. David says that Zombies will not leave the trigger zone. It's an easier way to look at the rule that they will not move away from the Survivors.

Yes, for quite some time the wording confused me. It is finally very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.