Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: All alone on the fence ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the dollars bleeping by on the KS page, it feels like I'm the only one left on the fence and I'd better hurry.

Am I? The only one left on the fence?

I like Cthulhu, I like to play solo, I like dungeon crawls and character advancement.
But will we have FUN? Will we really care about those plastics we level up?
Or will it just be roll, draw, sigh?

(And oh my, isn't that saloon girl spit ugly? Did something release itself from way up high all over her?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone. I've been on the fence and will likely not pledge but will wait until the last minute to decide.

My concerns are with the depth of a FFP title and whether I will want to play this often enough to justify the price. I enjoy FFP games but I don't love them. This doesn't look like it breaks their current mold mechanically except for the campaign rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attracted by the minis, pushed away by the "each person rolls a die to determine how much they move"

Thus, still on the fence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got one toe on the fence and the rest of me is firmly on the no-pledge side. I've invested in a lot of really nice kickstarters: Galaxy Defenders, Zombicide 1&2, Myth, Robotech, Xia. I've definitely gotten more picky about what I back. The cost of this one is VERY high. I haven't seen sufficient gameplay to make me drool. I already have Descent 2.0 which I love. Not big on cowboys versus tentacles.

I just don't think I need another dungeon crawling minis game especially at this price. Buuuuuut, I'm still watching...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Well i was on the fence, but what pushed me over it were some spoilers. So i am not going to talk about those.

The thing that might help is that ffp is a known company and can produce good games. So even if you don't like the game, i am pretty sure there are always people out there that will buy it off of you.

But what interested me most about this game: dungeon crawling exploration ( tbh there aren't many game in print atm that offer this ), the setup seems like a breeze ( when your character is already created offcourse) just place entrance map, place characters stuff and place the decks and done. No need to open the mission book, find maptiles, find tokens for that maptile, and errors in setup are barely there, etc etc etc. ( kuch mansions of madness kuch ) and solo gameplay, i love solo gameplay.

Anyway, lets say you are on the fence, just pledge now and if you decide you aren't interested anymore you can cancel it before the end. This way you will get updates through email and you can ask questions to the developers.
And more stretch goals get unlocked and new are shown and maybe some of the new ones might spark more interest in you.

Anyway this is just some friendly advice
Ps: Apologies for my bad typing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This fence is getting a bit crowded... Ok I've officially climbed up and awaiting more information before I climb down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Snappleman wrote:
I've got one toe on the fence and the rest of me is firmly on the no-pledge side. I've invested in a lot of really nice kickstarters: Galaxy Defenders, Zombicide 1&2, Myth, Robotech, Xia. I've definitely gotten more picky about what I back. The cost of this one is VERY high. I haven't seen sufficient gameplay to make me drool. I already have Descent 2.0 which I love. Not big on cowboys versus tentacles.

I just don't think I need another dungeon crawling minis game especially at this price. Buuuuuut, I'm still watching...

I am actually selling my descent 2.0 because first it needs a dm and second. It is not a dungeon crawling anymore. It is just a tactical 1vs many game now. That has some fantasy characters in it. Where is the exploration? Those search tokens barely qualify as exploring. I really feel bad i ever bought this game. I find doom 10 times better.

But yea if i were you i would stop pledging on kickstarter, so many games you bought from here :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
Attracted by the minis, pushed away by the "each person rolls a die to determine how much they move"

Thus, still on the fence

There an official alternate with fixed movement instead of random rolled movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Mine Cart Round 2 but I think I will drop it. The game seems too much about rolling dice and not enough about strategy and tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
giga wrote:
I have a Mine Cart Round 2 but I think I will drop it. The game seems too much about rolling dice and not enough about strategy and tactic.

Some people gonna be happy to hear that. But what did you expect of a dungeon crawler? And movement can be done without dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
giga wrote:

Some people gonna be happy to hear that. But what did you expect of a dungeon crawler? And movement can be done without dice.

FFP has stated there is an optional rule for set movement, for those that do not like to roll dice to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
giga wrote:

Well, like many people I saw an opportunity and pledged while there was early birds.

I think Mage Knight is a land crawler, and it's a lot more than just luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finally going to sell my complete first edition Descent collection to pay for this game.

I love Descent, but I'm always stuck playing the overlord, and I feel bad if I win and kill everyone, so I just end up playing it like an RPG instead. GM-less game play is a big selling point for me here, right along with the cowboys vs tentacles theme, which I LOVE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giga wrote:
Banemus wrote:
giga wrote:

Well, like many people I saw an opportunity and pledged while there was early birds.

I think Mage Knight is a land crawler, and it's a lot more than just luck.

PM sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrawn 007
msg tools
waynez wrote:

Thus, still on the fence

There is a rule to move a static amount instead of rolling. The reason FFP likes roll and move, is they use it to regulate resources. You gain grit when you roll a 1. So you have the option to just move around without rolling. However, if you are down grit, you have a 1/6 chance each turn to recover a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fence sitting mainly because I enjoy Last Night on Earth but found Fortune & Glory to be way too fiddly for the game you get out of it.

Really need a look at some sort of rules, or at least how monster AI works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
Snappleman wrote:

I am actually selling my descent 2.0 because first it needs a dm and second. It is not a dungeon crawling anymore. It is just a tactical 1vs many game now. That has some fantasy characters in it. Where is the exploration? Those search tokens barely qualify as exploring. I really feel bad i ever bought this game. I find doom 10 times better.

But yea if i were you i would stop pledging on kickstarter, so many games you bought from here :o

You should try Level 7 [Omega Protocol], though not a fantasy theme, it's scratching my dungeon crawl itch right now (and did a much better job than Descent)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im mostly on the fence for the high price.

the gameplay looks to be interesting and it can be tweaked with houserules where needed, but I dont want to be paying for those double minis that we probably dont need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence as well, though I will most likely be getting the Outlaw pledge. The theme is just too badass to pass (say that 10 times fast). If Minecart were in the $300 range, I'd probably buy that, but at $475, it's just too expensive, especially since that price means a lot of doubles that I don't think I need. At $150, this doesn't feel that bad (hell, I paid more for the three D&D games, and this one feels like it will be better than those).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Save yourself $375 dollars and go buy the entire Pathfinder package for solo instead. THE BEST solo experience I've ever had gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the fence also, need more info on the gameplay BUT the main concern is that there is no EU shipping cry

Already paying too much taxes...............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
skyzero wrote:

Save yourself $375 dollars and go buy the entire Pathfinder package for solo instead. THE BEST solo experience I've ever had gaming.

Right, turn a card do what it says, roll, wait 10 15 mins for your turn, and than you may turn over another card, do what it says , roll and wait 10 15 mins again.

And no i don't want to give an ugly game with almost 0 new art 50€. Talk about overhyped and SERIOUSLY overpriced for a card game with 0 new artwork.

Why is it 50€ for base set and 20€ for 100 cards expansions again? If you would buy everything for that game you would end with more than 190€ paid euhm NOTHX. Rather put the money in here atleast i know the components will be awesome. And i would still pay 50€ less :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Banemus wrote:
Snappleman wrote:

You should try Level 7 [Omega Protocol], though not a fantasy theme, it's scratching my dungeon crawl itch right now (and did a much better job than Descent)...

-shnar

I am still waiting for you to finish that doom campaign you were working on. Or was it something else, i remember seeing a manual you were working on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
knightstalker30 wrote:
On the fence also, need more info on the gameplay BUT the main concern is that there is no EU shipping cry

Already paying too much taxes...............

Yea that bums me out too but if i don't go for it now and i would buy everything later at retail, i would be paying a WHOLE lot more ( talking about the outlaw level ).

Mine cart is for rich or crazy people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
I am still waiting for you to finish that doom campaign you were working on. Or was it something, i remember seeing a manual you were working on

blush Running 2 PBFs based on the campaign rules to test it out right now, though it's taking a long time to test it that way

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.