Hide
14 Posts

Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Axis always win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rellek Aachen
msg tools
me and couple of friends play Axis & Allies 1940 global 2th edition a lot!

But we never had a allied victory!
This is because of MY tank strategy.

Only build Tanks with Germany and unleash this against Russia on turn 3.

With Japan build a minor industrial complex on Kiangsu (and also after taking Kwangtung). Only build tanks in these places and launch them to India.

No matter how we play, Axis Always win with this strategy.

Anyone got a suggestion how to overcome this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the other allies doing? That strategy is begging for an invasion of Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe the Japanese are allowed to build a minor IC anyplace other than Korea under the latest rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
What are the other allies doing? That strategy is begging for an invasion of Normandy.

This.

You have to force the Germans to use resources on their western front ASAP. Send in small landing parties as soon as you can. If the Germans continuously have to trade French / Benelux territories (using tanks!) their strength will be sapped.

If Germany is not building up the Luftwaffe and the U-boats, getting in a position to make these raids should be fairly simple.

Ideally, you shouldn't be reinforcing the Russians with western allied units, as that is rather inefficient. Last-ditch defensive fighter deployment might be necessary though. If the Germans take Leningrad remember that you can harass it with amphibious assaults from England, by sailing north. Taking Norway should probably also be a priority, but if you can get to France early, by all means focus on that.

The US effort is more tricky: you really need to strike a balance between containing the Japanese and forcing them to build up the IJN while at the same time, you have to support Europe. Typically going after the Italians is the easiest way to some success early. Speaking of that, how is the Mediterranean unfolding in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
I don't believe the Japanese are allowed to build a minor IC anyplace other than Korea under the latest rules.

Yes, they are. It is major ICs that are restricted to originally controlled territories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Maynard
United States
South Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

Build INF in your Ukraine factory, and ARM in Stalingrad, moving the ARM to the Ukraine every turn. In addition move all your Russian aircraft to the Ukraine as well. Germany will need to deal with this or else go right by it on its way to Moscow. Either way it will delay German forces in Russian and allow the USA to make land fall in Normandy. Use the Uk to put unit in S. Africa to occupy the Italians, I usually build 1 Mech and 1 ARM every turn. Any left over money build fighter in the UK to land once USA make land fall. Once Germany is fighting a war on two front she will be in a tough spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ingram
msg tools
ozimek wrote:
Damjon wrote:

This.

ozimek wrote:
You have to force the Germans to use resources on their western front ASAP. Send in small landing parties as soon as you can. If the Germans continuously have to trade French / Benelux territories (using tanks!) their strength will be sapped.

If he's building nothing but tanks and sending them all east, then the UK player must be playing totally defensive and building useless fleet and land units that do not force Germany to deal with the UK.

ozimek wrote:
The US effort is more tricky: you really need to strike a balance between containing the Japanese and forcing them to build up the IJN while at the same time, you have to support Europe. Typically going after the Italians is the easiest way to some success early. Speaking of that, how is the Mediterranean unfolding in your games?

Well put. Japan must always feel that the US is a threat and be concerned that the US can shut down it's offensive. At the same time, the US must be coordinating with the other allied powers on their common goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Westerberg
msg tools
We've had the same problem.
4 tries and always Axis wins. We are pretty seasoned players played only World 4 times due to the time it takes but played 10+ times at each of the two other aswell as 1914 which just was a bore.

Normal game round
R1 usually is Germany builds inf and takes out Royal navy and France
Japan takes China and launches into Soviet and ALWAYS builds factory in south china
UK rebuilds and defends against invasion in Isles and Calcutta
R2 Germany launches Barbarossa and builds 10 tanks
Japan takes most of China and deeper into Russia
UK takes out Italien fleet but cannot invade yet
R3 Ger takes Leningrad and builds some tank and inf
Japan kills leftovers of China and defend border vs UK
UK tries to get rid of Italy or invade France
R4 is more of the same aswell as R5 when US finally can do something but by then Germany and Japan has meet deep in Russia and have loads of IPC to defend against any invasion and all Axis need to do is go south and take Cairo and build hordes of infantry to repell any invasion

I didn't mention US build but it depends on how much of Royal navy survived and we tend to build many transports to create a bridge to transport troops to Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the community consensus is that the Axis do have a slight edge and that bids for Allies are common. That said, I don't think the advantage is overwhelming and good Allied play plus decent rolling can still win out.

I wish there was an agreed upon small tweak to the setup to assist with this balance issue, though many would argue these kind of games are never truly balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Westerberg
msg tools
Hansolo88 wrote:
My understanding of the community consensus is that the Axis do have a slight edge and that bids for Allies are common. That said, I don't think the advantage is overwhelming and good Allied play plus decent rolling can still win out.

I wish there was an agreed upon small tweak to the setup to assist with this balance issue, though many would argue these kind of games are never truly balanced.

Small easy tweak which makes loads of sense. Replace to French cruiser in brittish channel to a destroyer and move the fleet NE of London there aswell. this way no sub suprise attacks and fleet should be gathered not split into two easy targets for sub/air attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Dearlove
msg tools
I've just started playing and have played about 10 games or so. Some sites say that the Allies always win, I can understand why. If Italy have a bad turn on the 1st turn and dont clear the Mediterranean, the axis have lost.

I find that if i let Italy take a few friendly neutrals, southern france and normandy and help boost their IPC they have a chance. If you can get 25IPC plus bonuses they can do quite well and plug the hole at Gibraltar.

Does any use low luck rolling? How does it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
jwjhunen015 wrote:
me and couple of friends play Axis & Allies 1940 global 2th edition a lot!

But we never had a allied victory!
This is because of MY tank strategy.

Only build Tanks with Germany and unleash this against Russia on turn 3.

With Japan build a minor industrial complex on Kiangsu (and also after taking Kwangtung). Only build tanks in these places and launch them to India.

No matter how we play, Axis Always win with this strategy.

Anyone got a suggestion how to overcome this?

It's a very bad strategy if the Allies know what they're doing. If the Axis is just tankrolling, then England is critical. I almost always find England critical.

First, in the East, England needs money. Have Australia do what it can to get it's own territorial bonuses, then focus on a Navy to harass Japan. Don't let Japan have free naval reign, it's critical for Japan. Have England get the Dutch East Indies so that it can get money and keep troops rolling in. You will mostly just need infantry, to keep Japan from expanding. If China keeps the Burma Road open it will be a real thorn in Japan's side. It has a nice edge in being able to drop troops in any territory it has, so if Japan decides to go ham on India, then China will mess with Japan's other territories. With that, I can't see how you can't stave off Japan. Japan will usually wait a bit, or it gets the US in the war with its huge bonuses early.

In the West, its actually critical to pressure Italy. If Germany isn't putting pressure on England, then buy a factory in Egypt round one, and use your fleet and air force to pound Italy's navy before it even moves. Then on you can punch Italy out of Africa, keep it from controlling the Atlantic, and quickly get into Yugoslavia (even round 1, if Germany doesn't), and then into Greece. Just those alone produce troops quicker than Italy will be able to, and your production in Egypt will give you a quick edge over Italy. If Germany just goes ham on Russia round 3, then UK has two turns before Russia is even touched to do stuff. Take Norway round one. It's an 11 point swing - Germany loses 3, UK gains 3, and Germany loses its 5point bonus. Round 1, you also smash up Italian Navy, and get into the Balkans. Round 2, you make progress in Africa, moving to deal with Italy's Ethiopian forces, and west towards Libya. You also, round 2, make progress in the Balkans. Round 3, you're poised to make the first major blow to Italy, crushing its armies in the North and meeting its army in the South (if you build troops in SA early on). Round 4, you can usually land troops in Rome. If Italy has stacked there, then move to Southern France, and dually threat the Axis. From there you can liberate France and get them back in, or get Northern Italy, and Southern France also draws down on Italy's already weak income, helping you to keep them weak and eventually take Rome.

All this just puts a bunch of wrenches in Axis plans. Then you calculate in the US - have it send some both ways, but focus on one side. If Japan is going ham on India, then Russia can start messing with Japan's territory in Manchuria, Korea etc. If Japan is just going crazy with tanks, then the US can go ham and make Japan cut back and then defend Tokyo, and if it does that the Chinese, Brits, and Aussies will have time to take Japanese lands in Asia and Japan won't be able to recover from that with the US on it's butt. You could use the US against Germany instead, but it really doesn't seem to be as fruitful as against Japan. The UK should be able to handle Italy, but the German force going against USSR might be enough by the time the US lands that Germany won't need to keep funneling additional forces for the fight against Russia, and may be able to just buy troops to hold off the US.

If the US goes hard on Japan and India focuses on getting income quick then building a defensive force (mostly infantry), it should be able to at least hold Japan off. Maybe try the slow retreat, putting your forces on the border and then, when Japan is about to pounce, move everything but 1 inf back, forcing Japan's fast tanks to play as slow as infantry, while you just build up more infantry for the defense and stretch Japan away from its supply lines. With the Chinese being a nuisance and a massive Soviet stack of infantry just waiting, and Australia building up a navy to harass the Japanese, the allies are well positioned to hold Japan back for a short while - then add in the US, and Japan is doomed with that strategy.

The Axis strategy you're up against sucks, in all honesty. If you play your cards right, you can probably get Rome and Tokyo before or about the same time as Germany gets Moscow. Oh, I wouldn't count on 'saving' Moscow. Let Russia do its own thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
dlove1 wrote:
I've just started playing and have played about 10 games or so. Some sites say that the Allies always win, I can understand why. If Italy have a bad turn on the 1st turn and dont clear the Mediterranean, the axis have lost.

I find that if i let Italy take a few friendly neutrals, southern france and normandy and help boost their IPC they have a chance. If you can get 25IPC plus bonuses they can do quite well and plug the hole at Gibraltar.

Does any use low luck rolling? How does it work?

Have Germany go ham on London, that will give Italy the breathing room it needs. It's critical for Italy to clear the Med and take Egypt. After that, the rest for Italy is pretty easy. It won't have any real barriers to walking over Africa with the UK player worrying about London (or out of the game), and it won't need to devote massive ground forces to do what it needs to. Instead, it should take Gibraltar and stack subs just east of it, and buy buy buy subs. With that naval base, from gibraltar Italian subs can be safe, but also threaten an incoming US fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.