Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to double check this:

French units firing from behind fieldworks get an extra 1.5 bonus multiplier applied to their final Fire Strength after having applied normal range multipliers. In other words, there is a distinct advantage to firing from behind fieldworks.

An 8lb French gun at 2-hex range gets x8 for the range, and then x1.5 on that 8 strength, for 12 SPs.

And so French infantry at 1-hex range get x3 on 4 strength points to give it 12, and then x1.5 applied to that 12 to give 18 SPs.

Just making sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alasdair, that's how I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mitchell,

I had one of my 'wait a minute' moments, could fieldworks actually reduce the effectiveness of the firepower of defending units! And then thought better of it...

Not knowing the ins and out of the period, I have no idea what the fieldworks actually consisted of. What I began to think about was how the firing drills of the period would be affected by any kind of barrier.

Phew, now those guns in Fontenoy are really potent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are extremely potent from behind the fieldworks (or in redoubts). Also note that the French do not suffer the reduction in multiple for being in General Order if in a Redoubt, either, which is a good boost as it provides for a better field of fire from those redoubts.

Ne Obliviscaris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I had one of my 'wait a minute' moments, could fieldworks actually reduce the effectiveness of the firepower of defending units! And then thought better of it...

Not knowing the ins and out of the period, I have no idea what the fieldworks actually consisted of. What I began to think about was how the firing drills of the period would be affected by any kind of barrier.

Firing from buildings (in "General Order") or from behind a barrier during a battle in this era is one thing, but fighting behind carefully prepared works is even better. Mathew alludes to this in his historical notes in the game, mentioning how carefully Fontenoy and Antoin had been prepared for the coming battle, and the effort that had gone into building the redoubts and clearing fields of fire.

The French firepower boost also represents a significant amount of "free fire" among the French defenders, and while I'm no expert in the period, the expression in this case is that the French excelled at it (something I believe that is also reflected in the Grassins' firepower). This later appears in their skirmish ability during the post-revolution battles and the Napoleonic era. In this game, it's another reason that should a redoubt fall to the Allies, the new owners will get some tactical benefits from it, but not all of the benefits that the French derive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_peabody wrote:
Quote:

Firing from buildings (in "General Order") or from behind a barrier during a battle in this era is one thing, but fighting behind carefully prepared works is even better. Mathew alludes to this in his historical notes in the game, mentioning how carefully Fontenoy and Antoin had been prepared for the coming battle, and the effort that had gone into building the redoubts and clearing fields of fire.

The French firepower boost also represents a significant amount of "free fire" among the French defenders, and while I'm no expert in the period, the expression in this case is that the French excelled at it (something I believe that is also reflected in the Grassins' firepower). This later appears in their skirmish ability during the post-revolution battles and the Napoleonic era. In this game, it's another reason that should a redoubt fall to the Allies, the new owners will get some tactical benefits from it, but not all of the benefits that the French derive.

Yes, I do recall Mathew talking about the well-prepared defences. I just had one of my moments, it passed thankfully! The Dutch are finding out to their cost just how good the French fieldworks are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Hinkle
United States
Burns
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alasdair--We tested the fieldworks rules over and over and over. Tens of thousands of Dutchmen were lost in the playtesting! The point was to so tweak and fine tune the rules that given moderate dice, historical results would be replicated--i.e. the Dutch would get butchered and sent packing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mathew,

Yes, I am witnessing the results of your play-testing right now! I blithely marched the Dutch up to the the fieldworks only to be reminded of the Fire Strength modifiers from the defences and the village, and one look at Close Combat showed that my chances there were slim.

At the moment the Dutch stand before Fontenoy being picked off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.