Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Seelah rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In another thread I asked why she wasn't super popular...and then I realized, after looking at some of the other cards, that she only had two bonus skills (Divine and Melee) whereas some others had FOUR.

I like the Paladin and what it can do but that seems sort of nutty!

I'm sure it was a balance issue, but a Diplomacy skill on Seelah certainly wouldn't be out of place.

Why did they choose to do it that way? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't say, but Seelah and Kyra are the only heroes I've been able to solo right through the first 8 scenarios. Maybe it's the healing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Because she gets an extra d6 for EVERYTHING?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer her discard the top card of the deck to add d6 to any check is awesome. Not to mention if that discarded card happens to be a blessing it gets recharged instead, which given a 3rd of her deck is blessings is quite powerful (Especially once you take some hits or discard other cards, you can basically ensure you only have blessings left in the deck.

If things get a bit hairy, she also has some minor healing.

Not to mention when you level up you can add a couple of pluses to that D6 roll or increase the amount of blessings in the deck.

Really what's not to like... Oh yer her Dexterity sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:

But more than 50% of the time it costs a life point to add the d6, unless you're spending card and power feats to negate it.

It's good for a check you really need to pass, but it's hardly an "all the time" option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Yer her discard the top card of the deck to add d6 to any check is awesome. Not to mention if that discarded card happens to be a blessing it gets recharged instead, which given a 3rd of her deck is blessings is quite powerful (Especially once you take some hits or discard other cards, you can basically ensure you only have blessings left in the deck.

If things get a bit hairy, she also has some minor healing.

Not to mention when you level up you can add a couple of pluses to that D6 roll or increase the amount of blessings in the deck.

Really what's not to like... Oh yer her Dexterity sucks.

I like her, don't get me wrong. She's been my favorite character to play so far on account of her versatility. But my friend is playing Merisiel...and she has some great powers too, plus the four stat bumps.

I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting.

It's just that when I read people didn't like playing the Paladin, I wondered why, and it seemed like the fact her stats don't match up well, could be the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that, in general, the "skills" aren't used often enough in this game on the character cards. Many of the early allies that add to a perception, survival, disable, etc. check are fairly worthless due to this fact...almost no characters have those skills (and would therefore have to "downgrade" their dice to make a skill check of that type, as well as burn or use a card that could be used for exploration), so those basic allies are of very limited benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dig Seelah - not only for the issues mentioned above, but mainly because of her hand size!

4 cards means I'm rarely drawing more than one or two cards at the end of a turn, and if you throw her a Cure spell, it extends her longevity even further. Seelah is my "grinder", when I need to brute force my way through a location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:

are you sure you are playing by the rules??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
BuddhaBob74 wrote:

"You may discard the top card of your deck to add 1d6 (+1) to your check."

Yes - until you die you can add a D6 for any of her checks. Also when the deck gets down in size, all it has is blessings and armor so you aren't likely to be losing any more hit points.

----

For me, she became more useful when I upped the hand size limit to five to ensure (more likely) a weapon in the starting hand and when I replaced all her armor with magical ones so that I can recharge them - especially if I get a starting hand of two (or all 3) armors.

I think people dont like her for several reasons including no real big dice (largest is D10 and that is not on a skilled characteristic), no ability to hold items (no masterwork tools to compensate for the D4 dex), and favored card: armor.

It really sucks early to draw your 4 cards and get two (non-magical) armors and no weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember. You can use that power once for a check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course - I looked back at the thread and I don't read anyone as implying that you could do it multiple times per check.

That is true of any power (except Sajan's)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's obvious some people haven't checked her out. Yes it's discard the top card of your deck to add a d6 to any roll. This is really handy for test where you're only getting a d4. (I think everyone is aware you can only use this ability once per check).

I know some people seem to think you are giving life to do this, but if that top card is a blessing card it gets recharged instead of discarded. Really it's no different to adding a blessing card die to a check, except it may not cost you and for low initial dice it's a guaranteed d6 instead of another d4.

Her ability is stronger than it first appears, because it doesn't take long before you mainly only have blessings left in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there is not so many check that are limited to a sub-skill.

Currently a lot of cards offer the choice of the common attribute or a rare skill.

I saw Seelah abuse her power and it work really fine. Especially if she manage to get her spell in hand and/or the player is good at counting cards so he know when the top card is a blessing or the recharged spell.

A lot of heroes work better with a smaller deck (Seoni, Seelah, Sajan,...). People are usually a bit cold feet about damaging themselves but trimming the deck is one of the element of a deckbuilder and one point where PAGC meet the others games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Birk
msg tools
mb
Voicing my agreement with IKernsky here.

I also wanted to add that we can't simply look at the way characters start when evaluating their powers. You can build Seelah so that by the time you start skinshaw murders, half of the cards in your deck recharge rather than discard when you use Seelah's power. It's very easy to reach a point in the game where you use Seelah's power on almost every single check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bohemond1 wrote:
Voicing my agreement with IKernsky here.

I also wanted to add that we can't simply look at the way characters start when evaluating their powers. You can build Seelah so that by the time you start skinshaw murders, half of the cards in your deck recharge rather than discard when you use Seelah's power. It's very easy to reach a point in the game where you use Seelah's power on almost every single check.

It's true. I'm on skinsaw now and have taken the spell power and a spell card feat. I like the diversity you can build into the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
DrWhoWho wrote:
BuddhaBob74 wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.