Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for my 5.5 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize in advance for how long this posting is:

My 5 and a half year old son is an obsessed gamer. Thanks to our district's half-day Kindergarten program, (which I am a big fan of) we get a chance to play games every morning, and we do play almost every day. Lately, though, he is moving up to more complex games and I need help figuring out a good game or two for his Hannukah present.

Hits with him this past year have been Castle Panic, The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus, Mastermind, and Ribbit. I have also given him solo games of Tales of the Arabian Nights by being the one to read the book to him. Lately, however, he is gravitating towards games on my ipad. He continues to ask for Stone Age ( although he wishes the people would leave the village and go on adventures), the family version of Agricola, and especially Small World which he is particularly smitten with. As you can probably tell, theme and adventure are important to him.

He also has two older brothers, and I would love it if the games I get him work well both for our two player games and larger family games. My oldest, 11, does not like playing "kid" games, and his games of choice (Star Trek: Fleet Captains and Galaxy Trucker esp) are a little much for my youngest. My middle son prefers cooperative games, since he hates to lose and hates to perceive others playing aggressively towards him. Although he did participate in a game of Small World with his brothers a few weeks ago, and seemed to like it, we have had success with Castle Panic, Dixit, Flash Point: Fire Rescueand a little less with Escape: The Curse of the Temple(since my youngest finds the soundtrack to be too scary).

I am wondering if I should get a cardboard copy of Small World, or Small World Underground, or branch out and get something else. I have also been considering Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and Takenoko and am thinking about Lords of Waterdeep, because of the quests, but am not certain if this is thematic enough to please his need for adventure. I am sure many of you can think of other ideas as well, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

My son is an excellent reader, so text in games is not an issue, but I would prefer games which play in under an hour.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Seems to have similar interests as my son (7). I know it sometimes gets the rules wrong, but my son loves to watch Table Top. It gives him a good idea of if he would enjoy playing the game based on complexity and theme.

Games he has added to his wish list after viewing:
Small World (plays on iPad)
Get Bit (loves it)
Castle Panic (prefers to be the Overlord)
King of Tokyo (loves it)

Games he passed on:
Lords of Waterdeep (though he loves the Owl Bears)
Star Wars X-Wing

We already had Flux, Wits and Wagers, Ticket To Ride.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Mastermind was a hit with him, I recommend P.I.. It's a well-designed deduction game for 2-5 players. It plays in 75-90 minutes, but you can shorten the game length by playing two rounds instead of three.

I also recommend Trains. It combines deck-building with board play. There is minimal text on the cards, but if he's already reading, he probably won't have trouble with it. It's fast, and also easy to teach. It plays in less than an hour if the players are not prone to AP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess he mentioned 'going on adventures' to mean he doesn't want a 'meeple' to just be stationary like a worker placement game?

seems like he might like a racing game or perhaps a game like Lord of the Rings. Wondering also if he might like a crayon racing/track making game?

I dunno; some ideas to investigate;

Tonga Island
Godzilla
The Magnificent Race
Lord of the Rings
Labyrinth
Empire Express (might be a little long, no info on age recomendation)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The games i play the most with my 5,5 year old daughter are

Zooloretto Junior she loves the offspring
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small the "farmhouse" game
Keythedral
Takenoko she loves the panda

With takenoko you dont need to read texts on the cards so you realy dont know what secret bonus scoring points they have.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grasshopper loved Forbidden Island and a hacked version of Carcassonne. The Grasshopper loves Dungeon!, and it might be a hit with your son.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
The Grasshopper loved Forbidden Island and a hacked version of Carcassonne. The Grasshopper loves Dungeon!, and it might be a hit with your son.



Yes, my youngest also likes Forbidden Island and Carcasonne ( minus farmers). I'm afraid I do not like Dungeon, but he pulls it out and plays it by himself, so I should set it up with him again soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Baguety wrote:
The games i play the most with my 5,5 year old daughter are

Zooloretto Junior she loves the offspring
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small the "farmhouse" game
Keythedral
Takenoko she loves the panda

With takenoko you dont need to read texts on the cards so you realy dont know what secret bonus scoring points they have.



It is good to hear that Agricola: ACBS works with this age. Do you find that Takenoko feels thematic or abstract when you play it with your daughter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I guess he mentioned 'going on adventures' to mean he doesn't want a 'meeple' to just be stationary like a worker placement game?

seems like he might like a racing game or perhaps a game like Lord of the Rings. Wondering also if he might like a crayon racing/track making game?

I dunno; some ideas to investigate;

Tonga Island
Godzilla
The Magnificent Race
Lord of the Rings
Labyrinth
Empire Express (might be a little long, no info on age recomendation)


He is used to games with quests and adventure, but racing games are not a big hit at our house. He does seem to like worker placement. I thought his comment about Stone Age might be a reaction to the way the theme feels rather pasted on, since he really likes making a farm in agricola and does not feel the farmers should take a break and go on quests. I do not know if Lords of Waterdeep feels more thematic and exciting than Stone AGE ( I know they are often compared).

Thanks for the ideas - I have a lot to read up on!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me, he might enjoy watching some videos of your top 3-4 choices for him. maybe seeing gameplay or at least the bits and pieces set-up in reviews would help him decide?

And, if you look up the game entries for what he has already mentioned he enjoys, you will often see other games in recommendations (strong, standard, etc.) that may fill some of the same desires as the entry game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Since Mastermind was a hit with him, I recommend P.I.. It's a well-designed deduction game for 2-5 players. It plays in 75-90 minutes, but you can shorten the game length by playing two rounds instead of three.

I also recommend Trains. It combines deck-building with board play. There is minimal text on the cards, but if he's already reading, he probably won't have trouble with it. It's fast, and also easy to teach. It plays in less than an hour if the players are not prone to AP.


Thanks for these suggestions. I have been looking at Trains for his older brother. I will have to think more seriously about it now. P.I looks very interesting as well. I had not even heard of it before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.