Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

K2» Forums » Variants

Subject: I've played it the wrong way from the beginning, but I think I prefer it that way. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've always played with the risk tokens in an opaque cup and that you draw a SINGLE one every turn someone fulfills the conditions to do so. No one knows ahead of time what the risk will be AND it is returned to the cup afterwards. People tend to play it quite safe. No running up the hill.

I reckon this might increase the difficulty a bit. Since I haven't played it "the right way" I don't know for sure.

Y'all should try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be "wrong" but nothing wrong with trying that. I've found the rules method gradually brings out the "2" risk tokens as the game goes on until eventually there are only "2" risk tokens left to choose. This matches the theme of the risk getting bigger the higher up the mountain people go. But the uncertainty of drawing a random one is kind of fun, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hille
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we played it also like this, because the 'normal' way is too simple for us. You can choose, and is there is a 0, you take that one of course. So you can take a risk. It's not exciting to play that way, so we take a blind token It makes the game a lot nicer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dearn
United Kingdom
orpington
kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a good idea and will try it for sure. While we are on the subject of Risk Tokens... I love this game but i have one small issue and wondered if any other players find the same. When adding up your movement points to determine which player takes the risk. I find that a tie happens far to often in 4 & 5 player games. Therefore no player ends up having to take a risk. I find it happens about 3 out of every 4 turns. I have thought of ways of determining which player should take the risk but so far have not come up with a good solution. Any ideas??
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bowie47 wrote:
I have thought of ways of determining which player should take the risk but so far have not come up with a good solution. Any ideas??

Change it to "all tied players suffer from the risk token"? That'll teach those fast climbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:

I reckon this might increase the difficulty a bit.

Actually, it decreases the difficulty.

Granted, we're both at something of a loss--you haven't played the original way, and I haven't played in any way--but hear me out:

If the original way is to not only remove the tokens, but also allow player choice, then this naturally implies a dwindling of easy options through the easier portion of the game. By the time the game gets really difficult (7,000+), the low valued risk options will have been taken, leaving a greater certainty of receiving a harsher penalty.

Playing your way (not removing the tokens and disallowing choice) takes strategic decision from the game, makes the possibility of getting a harsher penalty earlier (when it doesn't matter so much), and decreases the chance of getting a harsh penalty in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
If the original way is to not only remove the tokens, but also allow player choice, then this naturally implies a dwindling of easy options through the easier portion of the game. By the time the game gets really difficult (7,000+), the low valued risk options will have been taken, leaving a greater certainty of receiving a harsher penalty.

Playing your way (not removing the tokens and disallowing choice) takes strategic decision from the game, makes the possibility of getting a harsher penalty earlier (when it doesn't matter so much), and decreases the chance of getting a harsh penalty in the late game.

You definitely have a point. I must try it the right way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Slack
Canada
flag msg tools
This is a tricky concept. On paper, I like the idea of drawing from a cup (although I wouldn't put the token back into the cup after), as it adds a bunch of tension to the player who took the largest risk. It also allows us to deal with the ties for 4-5 player games in that each tied player takes a token randomly. If/when tokens run out, just collect them all, and put them into the cup and keep going.

However, in practice, I think this takes out a really cool part of the game where players bob and weave with their movement cards, knowing that they have to take that '2' risk token, and making sure that they can still keep their climbing moving, and alive. Through in the randomness, and that neat bit of planning is completely lost.

I'd still like to see if there is away of dealing with the huge amount of ties in 4 - 5 player games. Maybe one risk token is chosen, and all tied players have to deal with the # individually? Like, two players tie, the 2 risk token is chosen, so both players have to deal with 2 risk?

Then again, this means that there won't be as much movement happening, since any high movement ties will be negated by the risk tokens.. I don't know - I guess I'd have to try some of these out and see what happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dslack wrote:
I'd still like to see if there is away of dealing with the huge amount of ties in 4 - 5 player games.

But, there already is: With that many players there will also be a lot of blocking. You can actually view the risk tokens as a game mechanism that attempts to prevent a team of climbers from pulling away from the traffic, as that could lead to a run-away situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Slack
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah - as I was writing it out, I actually talked myself out of the idea.

I think what I need to remind myself is that a 2-player game will end up playing differently than a 4-5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.