Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've been thinking of buying this game, but was wondering what the average game play time is for a 2, 3 and 4 player game. I've read some people complaining that the game is too long for what it is. Thanks!

Edit: I've heard it works well for 2 which is good! Homesteaders is another TMG game I'm interested in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
raptors wrote:
Edit: I've heard it works well for 2 which is good! Homesteaders is another TMG game I'm interested in

Homesteaders really is great, but really should be played with 4 people, as it is an auction game, and it revolves around 3 different auctions, and the mechanics of 1 person always being left out, are very good.

One word of advice, if you do try to get Homesteaders, make sure you get a second printing edition, as the first edition had moisture issues that caused mold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raptors wrote:
Hello, I've been thinking of buying this game, but was wondering what the average game play time is for a 2, 3 and 4 player game. I've read some people complaining that the game is too long for what it is. Thanks!

Like any other game, it depends on who you're playing with. This is definitely an optimization game with some difficult decisions, so if you are playing with people prone to analysis paralysis, it could take a while, especially at the higher player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is a typical Euro game.

If you play it with casual nor "not-so-competitive" players, expect the length written on the box: 90 - 120 minutes.

But if you have AP prone guys in your group ... you need a lot more time meeple

EDIT: ninja'd by Nathan above ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kcskedz wrote:
raptors wrote:

Homesteaders really is great, but really should be played with 4 people, as it is an auction game, and it revolves around 3 different auctions, and the mechanics of 1 person always being left out, are very good.

One word of advice, if you do try to get Homesteaders, make sure you get a second printing edition, as the first edition had moisture issues that caused mold.

Getting a little off-topic for the Belfort forum, but Homesteaders actually does pretty well with less than 4 players. 4 is definitely optimal. 3 is still good: You remove one of the auctions, so you get a similar dynamic. 2 is even not too bad: There's a "phantom bid" mechanic that blocks out lower bids on one of the auctions, so there is a bit of tension. It wouldn't by my first choice of a 2-player game in general, but one of the best auction game adaptations for 2 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the game drag due to AP players. If you have those in your group, plan on 45 minutes per player, otherwise, 30 minutes per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks everyone! I've just been looking for a new game for my fiance and I that works with 2 and up to 4 that's a bit more complex than what we usually play, as I described here:http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1066665/what-should-i-buy-based-on-my-likesdislikes

We're pretty picky gamers (my fiance more than me), but I think Belfort may work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you have the time, check out this playlist from the Watch It Played series. Great rules explanation, and then Rodney and his son Luke play the 2-player variant.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHvfN_pNBj_F-_E5NwUcep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game that is very prone to AP due to how much you must do during a single turn. I have found it plays very well 3 players, but my experience at 4+ has been underwhelming due to heavy downtime.

I suspect that if this was your "main" game, it would speed up. Up to now, the downtime has been a major drawback that keeps it on the shelf. It is unfortunate because this is a very well made game that has alot to offer. Best for repeated hardcore play and not the occasional player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
championstyle wrote:
This is a great game that is very prone to AP due to how much you must do during a single turn.

How much you must do? You literally do one thing on your turn, place a worker. Your turn is a few seconds, then the next guy goes. It should be back to you in 30 seconds, a minute tops. You should be making your decisions about where to place during the other player's turns, your #1 and your #2 choice are usually all you need.

The Action phase on your turn you do all at once, but again is quick because there aren't new decisions to be made. You collect stuff from previously placed workers, build the cards you wanted, etc.

The game can take a while because there are so many workers and rounds to play. But it shouldn't be because of AP.

I don't think there's any more AP in this game than any other "normal" worker placement game where you put your guys in one spot at a time (Caylus, Agricola, Stone Age, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
All that being said, Belfort is not great as a 2 or even 3 player game. I 4-5 is really kind of the sweet spot.

4-5 players can pound out the game in an hour and a half pretty easily; while it is a worker placement/Euro, it's pretty simple and the actions don't change round to round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all the games you mention and Belford always comes out slower. I like the game, but it the action phase has too many options for most players to play through efficiently. I've always maintained that if this was your main game it is likely a non issue.

The phase where you place your elves and dwarves always runs very smoothly. It's the action phase that people keep getting stuck on in my group. When everyone needs 5-10 minutes to figure out their best moves, that adds up to a solid 20+ minutes of downtime and makes the game drag on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.