Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Chester-Wallis
Australia
Mt lawley
WA
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I posted this in the thread dealing with the "run-away" leader situation me and my three play groups observed playing the game. I was wondering if anyone thought giving the last player (whoever that happens to be during the game) a temporary Pipette might balance things out a bit. It's not a huge advantage, and it's only temporary, and I thought it might help someone with very bad luck in the first few turns catch up.

Does anyone have any other thoughts about how to even things out? We are going to play this new variant when we next play it to see how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't touch anything.

Especially after this last game (I've only played in 5-player games) where the two at the back of the pack started collaborating and shutting out the leader and then went on to win the game/take third!

I think that trading could well be the equalizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how this works for you, please let us know. I haven't had much of an issue with player scores being too spread out, but this does seem like an interesting variant, think it would accelerate the game and make it a tad easier overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Chester-Wallis
Australia
Mt lawley
WA
flag msg tools
Yeah maybe this is only appropriate for 3 player (and maybe 4 player) games? I have yet to play a 5 player game - perhaps that would be a solution. I guess it also depends on the dynamics of the players and whether they are able to effectively do that. The good thing about this game is that it is short enough to try a few different things. I still find in Catan that in a four player game trading doesn't resolve a person just falling behind. Nobody minds being "that player" in Catan as often it was a result of a few failed strategic decisions, rather than a few bad draws of elements from the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A thought that I think someone might have mentioned elsewhere for keeping lagging players in; have you considered using Nobel in a 3 or 4 player game? Personally, I'm not sure it would do much, but it might be less fiddly than a shifting pipette. Might even make him always open to trade, starting with the lead scientist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.