Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Chester-Wallis
Australia
Mt lawley
WA
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Some thoughts on a combo of variants that could be used to make the game a little less luck based and fairer.

I noticed that drawing 3 or 4 Graysles cubes in a turn was particularly punishing (especially early on in the game). It never benefited you, and while it harmed one other player, this net benefit was not replicated against each opponent. Hence, drawing a patient always seemed better than drawing a Graysles cube. It was suggested these should be removed altogether or in part, but I think this simple rule still keeps the fun of the graysles.

=> When a third graysle cube is drawn on a turn, place it back in the bag and draw another cube. Any further graysle cube is swapped for a patient cube at random until the cube draw is complete.

We also noticed that today, I, as the start player, got an extra turn in a three player game. Perhaps we weren't reading the rules right, but the second player drew the last four cubes, so she got another turn, so did the third player and the rules said everyone got another turn so I got one as well. I thought this wasn't fair as I already felt I had somewhat of an advantage going first, so I couldn't see what the logic was for me getting another turn.

=> Once the last cubes are drawn, the game ends after each player has had equal turns.

Finally, it doesn't seem to make any sense for you to struggle to clear your patient queue, so I propose making the clearing of the patient line worth 2-3 points to encourage this as part of a winning strategy.

=> Make clearing your patient wait line at least 2 points.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
msg tools
I had a similar variant idea:

Regarding Grey cubes, I thought it would be better to increase the harm to other players so that the player drawing does not simply miss out on patients:

When a room is quarantined, it is literally quarantined and no patients can pass through it to reach connected rooms. This rule applies to all rooms except for the lobby.

For scoring, I think everyone agrees that it is broken. I like the following scoring adjustments:

-1 point if lobby is quarantined at game's end

-1 point for every 4 patients in your hospital's queue at the end of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game definately needs some creative scoring modifiers - I have personally implemented a poker-hand based style scoring system, whereby curing patients in set orders (including on each of r-b-g-y) provides aa different score, and having a line results in a penalty.

That was the biggest thing missing from the game, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.