Subject: Dread Curse vs Libertalia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have researched both games a bit, but I haven't played either one.

Anyone out there who has played both? Opinions on comparing the two? I just noticed that both of these get compared to Citadels, but they do not get compared to each other.

Both have role selection and Libertalia seems a bit more beefy, but is that a good thing? Does Dread Curse accomplish that with shorter gameplay?

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or preference between the two games?

Any input would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dread Curse has a push-your-luck mechanic. You are choosing a character, but you are also having to decide how long to stay in the game. Maybe it's also just me, but this one plays better with more people.

Libertalia is the meatier of the two. As everyone starts with the same cards, there is a lot more strategy on knowing when to play them.

I think it'd depend upon your game group's preferences. If they are into lighter fare, try Dread Curse. Something heavier, go Libertalia. Big group? Dread Curse. Smaller group? Libertalia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Libertalia on BoardGameArena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
Dread Curse has a push-your-luck mechanic. You are choosing a character, but you are also having to decide how long to stay in the game. Maybe it's also just me, but this one plays better with more people.

Libertalia is the meatier of the two. As everyone starts with the same cards, there is a lot more strategy on knowing when to play them.

I think it'd depend upon your game group's preferences. If they are into lighter fare, try Dread Curse. Something heavier, go Libertalia. Big group? Dread Curse. Smaller group? Libertalia.

Thanks Brad. Yeah I think I am going to go with Dread Curse to start. I will probably try to get my family(larger non gamer group) to play some of Dread curse over the holidays, and depending on how much or if I like it I might go after Libertalia.

Thanks for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

Moose, what is BoardGameArena? Is this an online board gaming site? I'm not super into playing board games online.....video games are much better for solo online purposes. The entire point for me with board games is the interactions and the socializing with other people of board gaming. I guess I might check something out for mechanics sake, but I have read enough reviews and watched enough online reviews for both games to satisfy my curiosity on rules.

I'm just looking for a good comparison of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Zacrulo wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

Moose, what is BoardGameArena? Is this an online board gaming site? I'm not super into playing board games online.....video games are much better for solo online purposes. The entire point for me with board games is the interactions and the socializing with other people of board gaming. I guess I might check something out for mechanics sake, but I have read enough reviews and watched enough online reviews for both games to satisfy my curiosity on rules.

Yes, its an online boardgaming site. Libertalia was on my maybe list until I played a few games there and then I bought it. I haven't bought Dread Curse (yet?) so I can't really help you compare but I thought playing a game might help you make a decision for or against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:

This answer is dead-on, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Zacrulo wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

Yes, its an online boardgaming site. Libertalia was on my maybe list until I played a few games there and then I bought it. I haven't bought Dread Curse (yet?) so I can't really help you compare but I thought playing a game might help you make a decision for or against.

I definitely appreciate it, and that is a good call. I should probably test it out before I spend money on it. Usually that is not an option. Thanks Moose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.