Recommend
31 
 Thumb up
 Hide
200 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Drafting comes to netrunner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I know there is some bleed over between here and the reddit community, but I felt this bares reposting:

People are reporting from Worlds that FFG has Draft packs for Thrones and Netrunner on display. More details will be forth coming from Team Covenant (as they're pretty much breaking the news on this one via Twitter).

https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398469266724245505/...

https://twitter.com/teamcovenant/status/398485532360982528/p...

It's pretty clear from the First photo that there is a Runner and Corp pack, and a third 'Draft Pack A'.


EDIT! UPdate:
Update! https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398492436588032000/...

"Full draft 4 to 8 players: Each Player needs 1 draft starter, 1 corporation draft pack, and 1 runner draft pack. Players particiapte in 2 drafts, one for each side. The corporation side is drafted first.

Half draft for 8, 10,12, 14, or 16 players: Each Player needs 1 draft starter, Half of the players need 1 corporation draft pack, and the other half need 1 runner draft pack. Players particiapte in 1(!!) draft, based on their side."

'Draft pack A' appears to be our 'draft starter'. Scott awesome reports that "Looks like the #netrunner draft packs contain only Genesis and core cards. However, it appears this set is named "cyber war." More to come?" - https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398493782032674816

Edit again!

Another update: Our basic Draft Corp ID: https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398492946770976770/...
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is 'drafting' and a 'draft pack'?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
gordianblade wrote:
I know there is some bleed over between here and the reddit community, but I felt this bares reposting:

People are reporting from Worlds that FFG has Draft packs for Thrones and Netrunner on display. More details will be forth coming from Team Covenant (as they're pretty much breaking the news on this one via Twitter).

https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398469266724245505/...

https://twitter.com/teamcovenant/status/398485532360982528/p...

It's pretty clear from the First photo that there is a Runner and Corp pack, and a third 'Draft Pack A'.


The perfect coup. FFG satisfies the desire to draft, and gets us a way to buy additional copies of the 1-of and 2-of cards in the Core set. (That's speculation of course, but these decks have to be made presumably of cards we have already, so one would think at least some of these would show up.)

This is @^#%ing brilliant. Well played, FFG!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Drafting is a 'limited' format more often seen in CCG's over LCGs. You use booster packs, normally three per person at a table of 8. You all open one pack at a time, and take one card, and pass the rest to your right or left (all following the same direction). Picks continue until all packs are depeleted. Decks are then built from what ya got.

As opposed to sealed where you open x number of packs and build from the pulls directly.

I have to wonder if drafting will allow for sideboarding between games o_o?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merino Highstreet
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
gordianblade wrote:
I know there is some bleed over between here and the reddit community, but I felt this bares reposting:

People are reporting from Worlds that FFG has Draft packs for Thrones and Netrunner on display. More details will be forth coming from Team Covenant (as they're pretty much breaking the news on this one via Twitter).

https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398469266724245505/...

https://twitter.com/teamcovenant/status/398485532360982528/p...

It's pretty clear from the First photo that there is a Runner and Corp pack, and a third 'Draft Pack A'.


The perfect coup. FFG satisfies the desire to draft, and gets us a way to buy additional copies of the 1-of and 2-of cards in the Core set. (That's speculation of course, but these decks have to be made presumably of cards we have already, so one would think at least some of these would show up.)

This is @^#%ing brilliant. Well played, FFG!
even if they include the core 1 and 2 ofs than they would still need to include cards that everyone already has 3 copies of in order to make the draft playable.

anyway I'm really surprised with this and would be a little disappointed if it turns out to be a way to get the core 1 ofs since I just ordered my 2nd and 3rd core set yesterday
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:

The perfect coup. FFG satisfies the desire to draft, and gets us a way to buy additional copies of the 1-of and 2-of cards in the Core set. (That's speculation of course, but these decks have to be made presumably of cards we have already, so one would think at least some of these would show up.)

This is @^#%ing brilliant. Well played, FFG!


So you want some extra cards you say? Well....

Slow clap. Bravo FFG. Bravo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Arnold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Wow that's ingenious FFG. Very excited for this.

I'm still not so sure how exciting Netrunner will be in a draft format, however. Given that the game skill is something like 75% table play and only 25% deck building strategy, it feels like the actual drafting portion wouldn't be as strategically rich as it is in a game like MtG.

However getting a bunch of people together and playing through a tournament with a deck you'd never seen before that night? Sounds absolutely amazing.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Merino wrote:
lluluien wrote:
gordianblade wrote:
I know there is some bleed over between here and the reddit community, but I felt this bares reposting:

People are reporting from Worlds that FFG has Draft packs for Thrones and Netrunner on display. More details will be forth coming from Team Covenant (as they're pretty much breaking the news on this one via Twitter).

https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398469266724245505/...

https://twitter.com/teamcovenant/status/398485532360982528/p...

It's pretty clear from the First photo that there is a Runner and Corp pack, and a third 'Draft Pack A'.


The perfect coup. FFG satisfies the desire to draft, and gets us a way to buy additional copies of the 1-of and 2-of cards in the Core set. (That's speculation of course, but these decks have to be made presumably of cards we have already, so one would think at least some of these would show up.)

This is @^#%ing brilliant. Well played, FFG!
even if they include the core 1 and 2 ofs than they would still need to include cards that everyone already has 3 copies of in order to make the draft playable.

anyway I'm really surprised with this and would be a little disappointed if it turns out to be a way to get the core 1 ofs since I just ordered my 2nd and 3rd core set yesterday


It's still likely that just buying new Core sets is a cheaper way to get all of them; I guess what I really mean by that is that in response to the question of "couldn't I just make the packs myself from whatever the distribution list ends up being for them?", an easy response is "But everyone wants another SanSan/Jackson Howard/Datasucker/Astroscript/Desperado/etc.!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merino wrote:
lluluien wrote:
gordianblade wrote:
I know there is some bleed over between here and the reddit community, but I felt this bares reposting:

People are reporting from Worlds that FFG has Draft packs for Thrones and Netrunner on display. More details will be forth coming from Team Covenant (as they're pretty much breaking the news on this one via Twitter).

https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398469266724245505/...

https://twitter.com/teamcovenant/status/398485532360982528/p...

It's pretty clear from the First photo that there is a Runner and Corp pack, and a third 'Draft Pack A'.


The perfect coup. FFG satisfies the desire to draft, and gets us a way to buy additional copies of the 1-of and 2-of cards in the Core set. (That's speculation of course, but these decks have to be made presumably of cards we have already, so one would think at least some of these would show up.)

This is @^#%ing brilliant. Well played, FFG!
even if they include the core 1 and 2 ofs than they would still need to include cards that everyone already has 3 copies of in order to make the draft playable.

anyway I'm really surprised with this and would be a little disappointed if it turns out to be a way to get the core 1 ofs since I just ordered my 2nd and 3rd core set yesterday


But thats the point. With an LCG there really is very little reason to do a draft. I mean, why would I do that? I have ALL the cards. But wait - FFG is going to have a tournament format for this (prizes) and I can also get my hands on some extra cards. I mean, sure, I already have 3x Jackson. But wouldn't I rather have SIX!

Also - not everyone has bought all the packs. Some people don't have Jackson because, well, its not worth it to them to buy a whole pack just for him. But then, one night, they played in a draft and drafted him and it was love at first sight.

Meanwhile, FFG laughs all the way to the bank.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an obvious first step in converting A:NR into a CCG. FFG got us all addicted and now they're pulling the most nefarious bait-and-switch in gaming history!
31 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming the primary use for these would be tournament play, where you'd pay an entry fee to cover the cost of the three packs (or, I suppose, six packs to cover both sides with three each). Seems like an interesting game format, plus it makes money for FFG and FLGS.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
mostman79 wrote:
But thats the point. With an LCG there really is very little reason to do a draft. I mean, why would I do that? I have ALL the cards. But wait - FFG is going to have a tournament format for this (prizes) and I can also get my hands on some extra cards. Meanwhile, FFG laughs all the way to the bank.


And the best part is, we all laugh with them. It doesn't hurt the people that don't care about drafting, and it's exciting for a couple different reasons for us junkies that will buy anything that FFG publishes for this game.

This really is brilliant.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
This is an obvious first step in converting A:NR into a CCG. FFG got us all addicted and now they're pulling the most nefarious bait-and-switch in gaming history!


I could totally see them slipping in rare cards to the packs. At first, simply rare versions of cards that already exist. And then...

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
mostman79 wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
This is an obvious first step in converting A:NR into a CCG. FFG got us all addicted and now they're pulling the most nefarious bait-and-switch in gaming history!


I could totally see them slipping in rare cards to the packs. At first, simply rare versions of cards that already exist. And then...



I doubt they'd risk alienating their customer base to change this to a CCG, but rare alt-art cards in the draft packs is actually a good idea. The more encouragement there is to play the game and the more encouragement there is for stores to support it, the wider the playerbase gets, and that's a good thing for everyone.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bkindt wrote:
I'm assuming the primary use for these would be tournament play, where you'd pay an entry fee to cover the cost of the three packs (or, I suppose, six packs to cover both sides with three each). Seems like an interesting game format, plus it makes money for FFG and FLGS.


This is important. You're not going to see an LCG get anywhere close to the popularity of MTG unless the stores can make money. Regardless of how much better a game ANR is, it wont get store time and effort if there isnt a return.

I love this - drafting is the only way I can enjoy MTG anymore, so this has me thrilled.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules posted in Scotts twitter feed are pretty cool. Its a special ID, only to be used for drafting. All agendas are legal and its infinite influence. Some of the potential draft decks are going to be bonkers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Connolly
msg tools
Avatar
mb
This sounds great! I am sure there will need to be some filler compensation with Agendas/Influence availbility or some sort of special draft rules. Like i MTG you just fill with land after you have finished drafting. I love the idea of getting into the mix not knowing what is going to happen. Even if you loose you get cards
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Connolly
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Acon1254 wrote:
This sounds great! I am sure there will need to be some filler compensation with Agendas/Influence availability or some sort of special draft rules. Like i MTG you just fill with land after you have finished drafting. I love the idea of getting into the mix not knowing what is going to happen. Even if you loose you get cards


Looks like i was a little early on this post..

https://twitter.com/ScottAwesome1/status/398492946770976770/...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't know if I'll ever actually play this format, but the idea of a Corp deck with Astroscripts and Niseis is amazing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I wonder of draft pack A will be a combined Corp and Runner equivalent of the Corp and Runner starter decks in original NetRunner - they contained a range of breakers and agendas called Vitals and a selection of other cards that, combined with what you drafted, ensured you could create Corp decks with sufficient AP in them and Runner decks that didn't lack a breaker for particular types of Ice.

Edit: looks like my speculation has been overtaken by more info!


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkled5 wrote:
What is 'drafting' and a 'draft pack'?


Please forgive my ignorance, but will someone please explain what drafting means?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkled5 wrote:
pinkled5 wrote:
What is 'drafting' and a 'draft pack'?


Please forgive my ignorance, but will someone please explain what drafting means?

It's a limited format, which means you build your deck on-the-fly. You get ten cards, choose one and pass the rest. Then you get nine cards, choose one, etc. Repeat four times until you have 40 cards in front of you. Build a deck out of these cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkled5 wrote:
pinkled5 wrote:
What is 'drafting' and a 'draft pack'?


Please forgive my ignorance, but will someone please explain what drafting means?


Basically - they are packs of random Netrunner cards. Importantly, the contents and order are random. The idea is that each person cracks a pack and then takes a card from the pack and passes the contents either left or right. You keep doing this until you have a full deck. This is the draft component.

Now, if you follow that link to Scotts twitter stream, you will see the actual rules for this particular draft format. It looks like the corp and runner packs will be different and that each pack will have groupings of 10 cards that you individually draft one at a time.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Baker
United States
CEDAR PARK
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is drafting for magic:
en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering/Booster_Draft

It's building a deck from a shared pool of cards. So now you have to choose what you will go for and what you want to deny the other players. You might get some cards and want more than one on a pack, but only take 1 and hope it comes back.


I want to see the runner identity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
pinkled5 wrote:
pinkled5 wrote:
What is 'drafting' and a 'draft pack'?


Please forgive my ignorance, but will someone please explain what drafting means?


Simplest terms, drafting is a playstyle whereby players all choose from a limited cardpool to construct their decks, rather than having the entire cardpool to build from.

Often this is a shared pool and players will choose a card from a small selection (in MtG for example a single booster pack) before passing the remainder to the next platyer (and receiving a similar selection from another player), selecting another card, and repeating until all cards are chosen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.