Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I plan on playing our first game of Sid Meier's Civ soon (2p, the basic first game, where wonders are left out) - but were wondering if there would be any problem if we used the new units and combat rules from W&W (but nothing else from W&W expansion).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problem with it, the new units are more fair than the old, and everything that interacted with the units still does so in the same way (resource abilities, etc.).

Also, even though it's your first game, the Wonders is a real small addition in the overall scheme of things, no reason to leave those out. They're basically just a bunch of extra buildings you can build. The only difference is there is only one of each instead of multiples, and they have a special power which is no more difficult to understand than any of the technologies.

The thing to remember with your first game is that everything is opened through technologies, and so you will be overwhelmed with choices at the beginning. Any building, government, resource ability, upgraded units can only be used after researching the technology that unlocks it. To keep your first game from going forever, you might just want to skim them and just take what sounds interesting to you at the moment. Once you have some game sunder your belt, you can better understand what these technologies do and how they work together in order to make more informed choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. That information will be quite helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.