The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Diving In For First Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I am an avid Netrunner fan, but looking to jump on the Lord of the Rings card game for a change of pace. Can this game be played solo and if so is it enjoyable?

I always find it a bit overwhelming starting in on a game that already has so many expansions. (Thats why I can't bring myself to start Game of Thrones). But love the LOTR theme and thought I would give it a go. I hear the Star Wars LCG is great but not a big fan of Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
yup! the game can be played solo. some quests are easier/more difficult solo than multiplayer, but i think that's to be expected.

many also play "2-handed solo" meaning you control two decks, as if it was a two player game but just on your own.

to me, this is the definitive guide for new players:

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/

especially helpful is the buyer's guide, so you know which expansion to get upfront/early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable solo, either single deck or running two decks (some like doing the 2 decks, I like just playing a single deck).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It really shines with solo play. Don't worry about the amount of expansions. Since you are playing solo, you can buy the packs at your own pace, and you have plenty to look forward to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is fully playable right out of the core set. Add at your own ability.

I've enjoyed the different decks I've customized with just the core set cards. There are lots of combinations you can set up! Some are admittedly better than others but the joy of it is it is your choice!

Solo play was a big draw for me to get it as well. If you like LOTR you'll love the thematic feel this game has!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
.......but not a big fan of Star Wars.

Heresy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars is really fun, but only if you like the theme. If you don't like Star Wars (and thankfully it's *only* the Original Trilogy, no crappy prequels in this game), then I would steer clear of the game. It's a great game, but part of what makes it great is the Star Wars theme...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.