Subject: When is enough? Which level are you kickstarting at? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks cool but it can also get expensive.

What levels are everyone getting in at? (Please don't post if you aren't kickstarting at all.)

I feel like I want to get the extra tiles to make the huge board...
I want the metal minis because the cardboard ones are meh.
I'm interested in the extra heroes to add more variation but I'm not sure they also get metal minis... (I'm not familiar with the level 99 games franchise, so I don't know who these guys are if that matters).

... so I'm leaning towards the $185 level, but that's way more than I feel comfortable spending on a single game, so I feel conflicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My personal take as I struggle with the same question:

1) I want more heroes because they are exclusive and add game play options
2) I want some more maps. I may just get the two map types that don't appear in the base game (the intersection and the path swapping). I'm torn between one of each or maxing those out. Beyond that, though, it seems the base maps bring so much I can wait and hope this all sells extra in retail.
3) I was tempted by the minis, but I know I won't paint them. And I have loads of minis in other games that I can borrow for this, so I'm holding off on that.

So ... I'm at the $50 level tempted to go up to $60 or $65 and then add some map tiles though not all of them.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in on the $180 early bird. Seems like you get a lot of material for that price. It is a good chunk of cash all the additional material with the super mega deluxe bundle adds up to about $130' so that but the base game at about $70 which seemed about right.

I guess it really all depends on how important the additional material will to you. The cost seems to be reasonable for what you will get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to get a $62 early bird special even though it had been sold out before. Guess someone either contributed more later or someone backed out. I considered the minis, but ultimately decided that it wouldn't help me enjoy the game any better. I am still considering adding some more map pieces a la carte though which is a nice feature of the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan B
United States
West Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my take:

Extra tiles = more options and larger board
Extra heroes = more variety and combos

These two increase the replay value. These are the first add-ons I would go for. I personally love the variety available with more heroes. Plus, all of these that we have seen look like they would be fun to play, that is, no matter who you are you feel like you are accomplishing something. As for the tiles, a 5x5 board with the bonus tiles allows for the creation of some real crazy maps. I have been sketching some out. I'll see if I can post them.

The minis and accessories make the game look and feel nicer. This can be helpful if you have some snobbish (not to be offensive) friends or to pique the interest of a more casual gamer (some people wrongly assume all cardboard components = bad game). The game is great to play, but the accessories add some polish to it aesthetically. You get to play it in all the splendor that the designer originally intended/

The Level 99 characters (from their game BattleCon: Devastation of Indines - which is really good and worth checking out) will not have minis made because they are from another game and I guess that is part of the arrangement. (Alternatively, BattleCon uses stand-ups in it, so you could use those in TKA - not metal minis, but still adds a vertical element to the heroes.)

The other extra heroes (Barbarian and Ninja presently and I would assume the Druid, Pirate, Beserker, and Jester if they are still stretch goals as they were from the first campaign) will have minis, I believe.

I'm with you when you say that $185 is a lot to drop on a game, but if it is one that will hit the table a bunch, it could be worth it. Some people will drop a lot more on a single game. What you are comfortable with is ultimately your decision. I hope this helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Peachey-Pace
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I would love to spend more I have a pretty harsh £50 ($80) limit that I set myself so thats where am at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went with the basic level, but I did add the wave die. I don't have a ton of money to spend on games, and this one looks pretty replayable even without the other extras...but the wave die seems like it will actually speed up gameplay, which will be useful in every single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just folded and bumped my pledge to $60 for the barbarian and then added 6 to get one of each of the unique map segments. I may want more eventually, but this way I'll have some really fun options above and beyond the base. Trying to resist even more upgrades now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently at the $180 level, but I'm with you on it being way more than I feel comfortable with (especially with some big bills coming my way). I also still feel like a board game noob, only really having started playing a year or two ago. I've never spent more than $70 on a game, and that was a big box set.

I don't feel like I need the minis, but they would make the game very cool. Unfortunately, then I'd feel like we need to go find some minis for the enemies as well. But we could worry about that later.

The biggest thing for me is getting the kickstarter extra heroes, since those won't be available later.

I think the maps would be really nice, but I believe John said that will be released later as an expansion if this release goes well. But, I could also just consider this to be me buying the expansion now instead of waiting.

I'm not sure that I care at all about the wave die, the token bags, or the crystal markers. So I could save $13 there (I know it's $25, but because of the $180 benefit, I believe it's a $13 difference for these extras), but that's not tremendously worth it to decrease from the $180 level.

Really, I think that we need to try to PnP and see what we think about the game. I don't feel like I have the time right now, nor do I want to use that much ink (and time to cut everything out), BUT I don't think there's any other way to know. Once I had played Dominion a couple times, I knew that I'd want the expansion, so we went with the big box set (our $70 purchase). But that's still less than half of this. sighs. I really don't know. I'm just as conflicted as you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoibs
Australia
Sunshine Coast
QLD
flag msg tools
mb
From the bunch of other boardgames with loose cards/tokens/etc. that I own, I can appreciate how useful the sorting bags will be; More map tiles obviously means more customizable maps and more re-playability, and Minis are always cool - though I would have liked the option of a cheaper plastic variant to be honest.

$229 from the $180 early bird tier + Shipping.
Between this and my Brimstone Minecart tier, my wallet is going to hate me in a couple of weeks..shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy E
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the Early bird Core game. Would love to get a higher level, but just can't afford it. But I think the Core game alone will offer me plenty hours of gaming fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Peachey-Pace
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after much soul searching I have gone back on my limit and am now at $180 backer amount. The amount your getting for your money is just to tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedaye wrote:
So after much soul searching I have gone back on my limit and am now at $180 backer amount. The amount your getting for your money is just to tempting.

Jed, well thanks for your generosity! Really excited to have your support. You're gonna love this thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped in immediately at the EB Mega Bundle. I like to have everything and all the options I can. While the minis may not be necessary I love having minis even if just for the player characters on the board.

I personally like the crystals for the status effects. A little something extra and a bit easier to see and remember it is happening.

Still want to try the PnP if I can before this ends, but based on the reviews I've seen and the general information for the game I am sure it is something we will play and enjoy on a number of occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverker Johansson
msg tools
I'm at the EB $180 level. Added for the new add-ons, but the bronze minis were just too expensive. Would have loved to have them, but my upcoming marrige kept my wallet in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverker wrote:
I'm at the EB $180 level. Added for the new add-ons, but the bronze minis were just too expensive. Would have loved to have them, but my upcoming marriage kept my wallet in check.

Both good choices. Both good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan B
United States
West Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverker wrote:
I'm at the EB $180 level. Added for the new add-ons, but the bronze minis were just too expensive. Would have loved to have them, but my upcoming marrige kept my wallet in check.

Congratulations! Hope all the planning goes smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to get the $185 pledge, since I'm very interested in the addons, but because of the Danish Customs and VAT, it would be way to expensive.

I'd had to pay $75 in Customs and VAT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Torcida wrote:
I would love to get the $185 pledge, since I'm very interested in the addons, but because of the Danish Customs and VAT, it would be way to expensive.

Jesper - That's insane. Is the VAT 100% of the value of the items? Geezo mano!
I'm really sorry to hear that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
Torcida wrote:

Customs is actually $0
VAT is 25% of the price + shipping + Customs ~ $49
Then the Danish Post system takes ~29 in fees.
So the total will be $263 ($78 + $185) for the $185 tier.

Denmark suck big time when it comes to import.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan B
United States
West Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torcida wrote:
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
Torcida wrote:

Customs is actually $0
VAT is 25% of the price + shipping + Customs ~ $49
Then the Danish Post system takes ~29 in fees.
So the total will be $263 ($78 + $185) for the $185 tier.

Denmark suck big time when it comes to import.

I don't know much about customs, imports, tariffs, and all that. But let's say one of your King's Armory friends here in the states pledged for a second game and sent it to you as a gift. Would all that still apply? Is that a legal (and ethical) workaround?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bryancb wrote:
I don't know much about customs, imports, tariffs, and all that. But let's say one of your King's Armory friends here in the states pledged for a second game and sent it to you as a gift. Would all that still apply? Is that a legal (and ethical) workaround?

It sounds like both...
Close, but technical.

Thomas Jefferson said an Unjust Law is no Law at all.
(Or John Adams... one of the two)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah. All these great add-ons are making it really difficult to decide again. I've given up on the $180 set and the minis, because we just can't afford to add on top of that for the new heroes and sets. Given our recent credit card bills, I'm trying to decide whether to just get the heroes, the hero sets (ie including bosses and armory), or also the maps. Decisions, decisions. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
bryancb wrote:

It sounds like both...
Close, but technical.

Thomas Jefferson said an Unjust Law is no Law at all.
(Or John Adams... one of the two)

St. Augustine I believe was the original phrase say'er I agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bryancb wrote:

And I have done a bit of sword business with the EU, Denmark included. Even if you or I bought an extra copy and shipped it there as a "Gift," then money was transferred to us, that is officially "against the rules" possibly illegal. Even worse though, is that it is only considered a gift if the item is below some arbitrary value, I believe Denmark's is like 50 or 40 Euros. So even if you bought your grandma a nice necklace that cost over 50 euros, they are stealing 25%+ of your wallet. TKA falls above 50 euros unless it is a core game, but I can't remember if that cut off is 40 euros because TKA core comes out to be like 44 euros if my math is correct.

Unless there is some other way around this... I just found a new career! Board game smuggling into the EU! lol No...

Edit:

Looked it up and it seems that the cap for gifts is 45 Euros so the only items "Gift" worthy with the current exchange rate are the TKA Core and TKA Core + Hero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.