Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Subcribe only if being quoted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
is there a way of subscribing to a thread only if somebody quotes my post??
So I only want it to be added to "new" if I am quoted, so that I can react,notif someone else just posts anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
But what if someone directly addresses something you said without using a quote?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Hey,
is there a way of subscribing to a thread only if somebody quotes my post??
So I only want it to be added to "new" if I am quoted, so that I can react,notif someone else just posts anything.


No, sorry.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
smithlucas wrote:
Hey,
is there a way of subscribing to a thread only if somebody quotes my post??
So I only want it to be added to "new" if I am quoted, so that I can react,notif someone else just posts anything.


No, sorry.


Any chance that it will be implemented?? Does anybody else like my idea, or am I the only one having a need for this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love that feature. I write too much crap to keep up if anyone has responded to me, and some threads are too cumbersome to follow.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Any chance that it will be implemented?? Does anybody else like my idea, or am I the only one having a need for this?

It seems difficult to implement and unclear how to even define it.

Someone might hit the "quote" button to respond but delete all your text, so they're not really replying to you per se. So simply defining it by someone using "quote" would give false positives.

And someone might reply to you without using the quote button, by copying some of your text on the fly (possibly including it in q /q elements and possibly not), or just say "Lucas mentioned X, which reminds me that a similar thing happens with Y, blah blah blah" or "like someone said right before me, blah blah blah", so simply defining it by using "quote" would also give false negatives.

And if it's not done by them using "quote" I'm not sure how it would be done.

And sometimes people reply to multiple people at once, by quoting from several comments in different browser tabs then copying them into a single unified comment.

Etc.

Seems very non-obvious to me how to make this work usefully. But I agree it would be a nifty feature.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
louper wrote:
Could the subscription trigger on the tag [q="russ"], for example, to trigger russ's subscriptions?

Sure, that's not going to catch every quotation, since I can easily edit out russ's name, and of course it's not going to trigger if I just say, "Well, russ said XYZ, and he's totally wrong, I mean geez, come on."


Which is why it seems not highly feasible to me. Too many false negatives. I see a LOT of thread responses which don't use the q="russ" type formatting. (To say nothing of people messing up their quoting nesting and attributing text to the wrong user...)

If someone is invested in replying to people who respond to their comments, it seems to me like the only reliable way to do that is to simply subscribe to the thread; otherwise they're going to inevitably miss a lot of responses to their comments.

And it may give users a false sense that they are able to be told about all the responses to their comments (thus encouraging them to unsubscribe to the thread under false pretenses), when they're not really going to be told about all the responses to their comments.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
louper wrote:
Could the subscription trigger on the tag [q="russ"], for example, to trigger russ's subscriptions?

Sure, that's not going to catch every quotation, since I can easily edit out russ's name, and of course it's not going to trigger if I just say, "Well, russ said XYZ, and he's totally wrong, I mean geez, come on."


Which is why it seems not highly feasible to me. Too many false negatives. I see a LOT of thread responses which don't use the q="russ" type formatting. (To say nothing of people messing up their quoting nesting and attributing text to the wrong user...)


There are also false positives, since in a heavily nested quote block, a response to something the new poster said may have nothing to do with the quote deep inside, which nonetheless has the quote block in it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.