Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the question is clear: last night we cornered this villain on the last 2 turns of the game. On the last turn, Merisiel fought him, won, rolled a 2 on the d6, repeated the battle, won, rolled a 2, repeated the battle, won... and rolled a 2 again. repeated the battle, lost the check.

Did we play this correctly? if so, this guy is *really* annoying!!!

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you should also roll the d6 even when you lost the check - sometimes (never for me, yet, it always waits until I fail a roll before passing the d6 check) the d6 could actually help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I failed like 6 times in a row. Kept trying to change d6's it never helped. Eventually we won, but it took a few tries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mb
youperguy wrote:
I failed like 6 times in a row. Kept trying to change d6's it never helped. Eventually we won, but it took a few tries.

Your dice-fu is weak, young one. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
Although you should also roll the d6 even when you lost the check - sometimes (never for me, yet, it always waits until I fail a roll before passing the d6 check) the d6 could actually help you.

Are you sure it works that way? Unfortunately, I'll have to look at the card when I get home, but... after playing it a couple times, I'm fairly certain you only roll the d6 if you succeed at the check to defeat this villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Deekow wrote:
medwards wrote:

Are you sure it works that way? Unfortunately, I'll have to look at the card when I get home, but... after playing it a couple times, I'm fairly certain you only roll the d6 if you succeed at the check to defeat this villain.

Yeah you only roll the d6 if you succeed at the check to defeat him. A defensive ability that gives the attacker another chance to succeed wouldn't make much sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The card does not say to roll only when you are successful.

Quote:
When you attempt a check to defeat Caizarlu Zerren, after you make the roll, roll 1d6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
The card does not say to roll only when you are successful.

Quote:
When you attempt a check to defeat Caizarlu Zerren, after you make the roll, roll 1d6.

Huh...well...that's weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! If that's true (that you roll again even if you fail the check), than we've got at least one more chance, ha ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I certainly won't argue with the card, but I stand by my opinion that it doesn't make sense that it should give you another chance to succeed after you fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you attacked a mirror image, what does it matter if you failed? The mirror image can't hurt you anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
OK, I was interpreting incorrectly. I was thinking that if you fail, you would take damage and then roll the d6. I see now that you roll the d6 after the roll, not after the entire check, so will only actually succeed or fail once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I play the Caizarlu card.
This morning, the heroines Amiri, Kyra, and Merisiel attempted for a second time to apprehend Caizarlu Zerren.
The game seemed lost by the last few turns with no necromancer in sight.
On the very last turn, with all other locations closed, and out of SEVEN cards remaining at The Old Light location, Amiri encountered Caizarlu!
She charges him with her Greataxe, slips on spilled poison and whiffs the roll (a '3' and a '2').
I had entertained the thought of discarding the 2-handed weapon to add my unmodified strength...
Hoping to roll a '1' or a '2' from Caizarlu's restart the check condition, in order to get up and have a second chance at lopping off his head, she rolls a '4'.
BUMMED.
angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stocks
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with this logic you would never be able to defeat the giant hermit crab? I've tried to think how these toe cards differ as the wording is different, but the logic still seems the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stocksy250884 wrote:
So with this logic you would never be able to defeat the giant hermit crab? I've tried to think how these toe cards differ as the wording is different, but the logic still seems the same.

The Giant Hermit Crab got an FAQ ruling to prevent the infinite loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.