Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Character: C'thulu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Sheppard

Alaska
msg tools
Yes, he's green, he's mean, he's tentacle-y, and now he's back from the great beyond to cause havoc in PACG as a playable character!

Please note this is strictly for fun I probably broke the game making this up but hey, comments and criticism appreciated! blush

SKILLS:

Strength d8 □+1 □+2
Dexterity d4
Constitution d6 □+1 □+2
Intelligence d12 □+1 □+2 □+3
Arcane: +3
Knowledge +2
Wisdom d6 □+1 □+2
Divine: +2
Charisma d8

Favored Card Type: Spell

Weapon 0
Spell 6
Armor 2 □3
Item 3 □4
Ally 0
Blessing 4

POWERS:

Hand size: 5 □6

Proficient with: □Light Armors

•Terror: Recharge a spell once per check to add 1d6 (□+1) to your check against monsters other than Undead.

•Madness: Any other characters at your location receive -3 to all dice rolls unless they pass a Constitution 7 check at the start of their turn.

•Unholy Alliance: Against an Undead monster (other than a villain or henchman) instead of combat you may roll a d6. On an even roll, the monster is immediately Banished. On an odd roll, you proceed with combat.

NOTES: Like I said, he's not meant to be played (unless I work out any details which I may try to later). It's just to see what C'thulu WOULD be like if he WERE a playable character!

That being said, he's played like a powerful mage. Notice he can not start with allies (god of madness and what-not. They'd kill themselves or go insane!) Also you notice his STR and CHA is a d8. I did that for the fact hiss sheer size (according to the Mythos) is gigantic and he of course can influence anyone from the netherworld by merely whispering into their head. A d4 or d6 would just wouldn't make sense.

He has Divive because, well, he's a "god". I also feel his Madness power will help some-what even out the odds since anyone at his location is at a serious disadvantage unless they pass a pretty high CON check (maybe not too hard for Valeros or Harsk.)

I contemplated adding one more power preventing him playing Allies but... I don't know, maybe that's just TOO harsh? I'm trying to keep in with the C'thulu Mythos and H.P. Lovercraftian lore.

Comments, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated! Just don't be TOO hard on me, first time doing this!

Edit: Not 60 spells, heh, just 6. Also, fixed Madness power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Compton
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. He's just not joining my adventure party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sheppard

Alaska
msg tools
robertcompton wrote:
Love it. He's just not joining my adventure party.

Haha! I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LolSheeps wrote:
•Madness: Any other characters at your location receive -3 to all dice rolls unless they pass a Constitution 7 check at the start of their turn but after they reset their hand.

You reset your hand at the end of your turn, not the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you really want him to have 60 spells?
Also, the last part of Madness doesn't make sense to me, though I might just be missing something: "but after they reset their hand"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sheppard

Alaska
msg tools
Gawain wrote:
Did you really want him to have 60 spells?
Also, the last part of Madness doesn't make sense to me, though I might just be missing something: "but after they reset their hand"?

Fixed. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if he's that game breaking. His best ability is Unholy Alliance, but that's balanced out by making everyone else worse at his location. I think he'd tear up AP2, but otherwise, not TOO op.

Also, you don't have nearly enough card feats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Birk
msg tools
mb
I would think resisting madness would require a wisdom check, rather than constitution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sheppard

Alaska
msg tools
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I don't know if he's that game breaking. His best ability is Unholy Alliance, but that's balanced out by making everyone else worse at his location. I think he'd tear up AP2, but otherwise, not TOO op.

Also, you don't have nearly enough card feats.

Didn't really know how to do the card feats just yet. Still working on them!

Bohemond1 wrote:
I would think resisting madness would require a wisdom check, rather than constitution.

Debated that as well. They both kind of make sense. Maybe I should do a CON 7 OR WIS 6? Would make it slightly easier. Don't want it TOO easy after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chilson
msg tools
interesting definitely not a co-op friendly character. I would lower the constitution to a 6 check that way people with the 6 sided die have a chance.

Having a power like that really requires everyone to know your character intimately I don't think I remember seeing any other power that affects everyone who plays with you so negatively. When balancing a character I would look towards what affects him and not others in terms of negative. I know you threw that in there to balance him out but really by himself he has nothing that hurts him in a negative way.

I can't think of a power that is a negative for that matter. Powers tend to be only positive as if they were negative they wouldn't really be called a power but a weakness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.