Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bowers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always one to love a good historical game and with my love of pirates I was excited to get this game to the table. After the requisite history lesson about the game we were going to play and rules explanations, we got down to playing. 2 people, Ellen and Ann, showed up to the demo I had set up.

This game takes place over 3 turns, each of which has 2 phases. The first phase you send your workers down Plymouth Street and then you send your ships around collection resources, fighting people and other things pirates might want to do.

On the first round we did not understand the importance of taking your time going down Plymouth Street, because after you move past a shop you cannot move back to get the resources. You do have one last chance before you send your ship out, but in this first round none of us were really ready for the high seas. We had talked about restarting at this point, but decided to forge ahead and see where the game would take us.

So now that we better understood the importance of moving slower to get the resources you need, the 2nd round went better. Although the order of the shops change after each round, so it required some thought and not just being a machine. Ellen was able to complete several of the missions on the board. She understood the importance of spreading out her resources and how to allocate them to defeated the Spanish and take their stuff.

Round 3 is where the game really got interesting, this was when all of the players really understood how to take advantage of what was presented by the game and how to use them in the 2nd phase of the turn. Ann and I both were able to make a decent comeback, but Ellen, because of her earlier understanding, had an insurmountable lead.

This is one of the games that you, or at least my game group, needs to play more than one time to really understand how all of parts work together and how to get the most out of it. I really enjoyed my time with the game as did the people playing with me. Since this time we have gotten it to the table several more times and it has been a smash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.