bennybilliebob bennybilliebob
Belgium
flag msg tools
So I have been playing this game the way this guy suggested, and I love it (as does my gaming group).
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1035031/adding-more-role-pla...
The only minor "problem" I seem to have is the way to incorporate the acquiring of boons in the story telling.
Like when acquiring the bear ally you can say that your character tries to tame the beast (with survival skill).
I do have some difficulties with weapons/spells that need Strength/melee/dexterity/ranged/divine/arcane/etc checks. I can't seem to fit it in the storyline. I cannot use scrolls or chests, because they're already in the game as barriers. I'm kinda out of idea's.

I know it's just a very minor problem, but I would be very happy if some experienced role-players could give me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me an example. It just all comes down to what is being acquired and where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghalahad wrote:
So I have been playing this game the way this guy suggested, and I love it (as does my gaming group).
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1035031/adding-more-role-pla...
The only minor "problem" I seem to have is the way to incorporate the acquiring of boons in the story telling.
Like when acquiring the bear ally you can say that your character tries to tame the beast (with survival skill).
I do have some difficulties with weapons/spells that need Strength/melee/dexterity/ranged/divine/arcane/etc checks. I can't seem to fit it in the storyline. I cannot use scrolls or chests, because they're already in the game as barriers. I'm kinda out of idea's.

I know it's just a very minor problem, but I would be very happy if some experienced role-players could give me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Maybe old gear is lying around everywhere... having a high melee skill means you're more likely to know that it's a worthwhile weapon, rather than the rusty shank of metal it appears to be? Or that your dexterity means you'll be able to pick it up and make sure it works well enough to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the old "sword in the stone" allegory would get old pretty quickly. But yeah, the "I'm strong, so I know how to use this" makes sense in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much everyone I know has been calling the spell cards "scrolls" as long as we've been playing the game. I see no reason not to use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for things that need str to get: it's behind some door, rocks, statues that you need to move to get it.

For things that requires Agi: maybe it's on the top of a dangerous place that you have to climb

For things with int: it has some kind of simbol protecting it or runes that need to be read...

well, you got the idea...

Edit: Quad ninjae'dninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Example 1: A longsword at the wooden bridge

Example 2: A dagger in the treacherous cave

Example 3: The spell "Cure" in the village house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the potion items we always just say the heroes are super clumsy and keep accidentally dropping them when they fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Donkler wrote:
For the potion items we always just say the heroes are super clumsy and keep accidentally dropping them when they fail.

That one actually has a built in rp: the skill is int or craft. You aren't finding it. You are making it. Basically I read it as you found the ingredients in the location and were smart enough to mix them correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghalahad wrote:
Example 1: A longsword at the wooden bridge

"There were signs of an altercation on the wooden bridge. Something glinted in the water below. I climbed down the embankment to investigate. A sword lay in the water. Had one of the combatants been disarmed or was this unrelated? (success: It was a decent sword, so I hung onto it | failure: interesting. I wondered whose sword it was.)"

ghalahad wrote:
Example 2: A dagger in the treacherous cave

"I descended carefully into the cave, looking for our quarry. As I clambered over a rock face, I dislodged a dagger that some previous explorer had used as a climbing tool. (success: I grabbed it as it fell. | failure: It fell into the chasm below before I could grab it.)"

ghalahad wrote:
Example 3: The spell "Cure" in the village house

"Evidence suggested that our quarry had stayed the night in this house. We turned the place upside down, seeking clues as to their next move. (success: Under a bed, I found an old spellbook that seemed to have been dropped in their haste to vacate the place. Most of the spells were rudimentary charms, but one of them seemed to detail a new technique for knitting flesh back together. I shall have to try this out. | failure: Didn't find much of interest, though. Food, books, clothes. Nothing useful.)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For other cases I think you make up whatever role playing scenarios you want.

Maybe an old weapons master will give you his sword, but only if you can beat him in a friendly duel.

Maybe your character picks up a weapon, accidentally injures themselves trying to use it and then gets frustrated, throwing it down a well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thank you for all the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes one time I revealed a mattock to help acquire a weapon(add to non combat strength check), I agreed it seemed silly.

My fiancee said, "well maybe it was up in a tree and you needed the mattock to fish it out"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Yes one time I revealed a mattock to help acquire a weapon(add to non combat strength check), I agreed it seemed silly.

My fiancee said, "well maybe it was up in a tree and you needed the mattock to fish it out"

"Too hungry and exhausted to pick up the sword, I used the mattock to loosen the soil at my feet in order to plant some beans. Resting until harvest, I ate all the beans and with my new-found strength was able to pick up the sword."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Great suggestions! That's the right idea - get creative and don't feel like you need to be too literal. Feel free to add other elements in that make the situation dangerous and that add conflict.

I find that the story cubes are particularly helpful in generating ideas in item check situations. I know that I suggested to use a story cube on 4-6 roll but feel free to use it whenever you need some inspiration. For example the dagger in the cave and roll of the story die results in a picture of rainbow and the dexterity check fails, "the dagger glitters in the dark, an multicolored unnatural light (blue, greens, yellows!) is clearly somehow shining on it, my fear gets the best of me, my entire body is shaking too much, in my nervousness I slip on a loose rock. I immediately jump to my feet and retrace my steps toward the light of the torch in the adjacent cavern."

Introducing new elements to the story is great for everyone since other players can use it later in events that happen to them. For example the mystery of the unnatural light, what is it doing in the caves? How does it affect other people? Does Black Fang have something to do with it? Some kind of Illusion spell? Is it a trap? Are these caves haunted? How does that affect what comes after?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.