Raf
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I'm looking to pick-up a new negotiation game. I've narrowed the choices down to six options and would love some insights. Some of my favourites in the genre that I own include Tammany Hall and Intrigue.

Panic on Wall Street
Corporate America
Article 27
Nothing Personal
Cosmic Encounter
Lords of Vegas (not pure negotiation, I know, but some strong elements)

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played Article 27 and Cosmic on that list, but I don't think of Cosmic as much of a negotiation game. It's more of an, "Aha! Look what I just played!" game. Article 27 is pretty great, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just released an episode on negotiation games, though we spoke about them stylistically, and did not rank or rate specific games (www.bluepegpinkpeg.com). We did review Nothing Personal and I would put that as my favorite of those (at least as relates to negotiation). CE is a great game (SPOILER ALERT, we actually review that one in our ep releasing Monday) but while it has a good negotiation element, that really isn't at the game's core. Panic on Wall Street is too chaotic to truly qualify as a negotiation game. It is fun for many, and I enjoy it every once and a while, but it has too much shouting for my taste. I haven't played Corporate America, but the others are only so so. Of all of those games, Nothing Personal is most like Tammany Hall and probably the best one to scratch your itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did you look at Chinatown? The entire game is negotiating trades among the players. Only downside, it may be slightly harder to come by as it is OOP.

Unfortunately I haven't played any of your list, so can't help in those, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
From what I've read Chinatown and Lords of Vegas are quite similar. I prefer the Vegas theme a bit more so that's why it made the shortlist.

Only thing that's holding me back with Nothing Personal is the misprint on the board and in the rulebook.

Corporate America had a very small print run, so I'm not expecting too much feedback on that one. My local store has a copy and it's sitting at a pretty good price, which is why I might take the chance on it.

Keep the feedback coming of course, I greatly appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you only play one negotiation game this year, what would it be?

Listen, I'll make you a really good deal if you let me play TWO negotiation games this year instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those you list, I'd choose Cosmic Encounter.

But if I were choosing from my collection, I'd choose Chinatown. It's pure negotiation. And I could still play CE under some other game-style selection, like intrigue or backstabbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
If Battlestar Galactica counts, then that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure but the negotiation game that I play the most is what game are we going to play? For some reason, it usually doesn't end the way I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Personal is the best negotiation game I've ever played. I've played with different people every time and every time it's the highlight play of the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the time and the inclination to learn a game with a steep learning curve, Republic of Rome. Accept no subsitutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Elliott
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
From your list I've played nothing personal, cosmic encounter, and article 27. If you want pure negotiation you have to go article 27. It's very group dependent since it is 100% negotiation with not really any other mechanic. You have to have people that are good and willing to negotiate without any real prompting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
The Republic of Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
IllHaveAnother wrote:
Cosmic Encounter

I would play Cosmic Encounter, although it is not a negotiation game. It may contain some negotiation if your group plays it like that.

(Hand management, bluffing, using card and alien power synergies, and double-crossing your allies are much more satisfying than negotiating, which occurs very randomly and seldom.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
Nooooooooooooo... heeeeelp meeeee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Cosmic Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The misprint on Nothing Personal is nothing to worry about. Yes... you get stickers, but it's not that bad.

The most fun i've had playing a negotiation game is I'm the Boss!
You have to have the right (fun) group though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good negotiation game is Dragon's Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
The most fun i've had playing a negotiation game is I'm the Boss!

I'm not very experienced in the genre, but I have played this one and it was a hoot. Like many Sackson designs, it takes one big idea - negotiation, in this case - and cuts out as much of everything else as possible to let that one idea shine. If you like negotiation games, I'd think this is a must-have for your collection if you haven't already played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play only 1 negotiation game this year, I'll make sure it's Diplomacy (online though, it's exhausting to play live).

But check out this game: Alcatraz: The Scapegoat
4 player game (more with expansion) which is "semi cooperative". Well that's just superficial appearance. The point of the game is that players play prisoners escaping prison, but one will stay behind. Each turn someone is voted to be a scapegoat and that person cannot be part of whatever plan the group tries to accomplish that round and will try to stop them. And so round after round after round. It's the voting part that is all about negotiation and thinking of the spot and trying to be the one who beats on the small guy (better than being one). And ignore Tome Vasel's review, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it would be Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.