Hide
6 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Plasma missiles, still the king? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D G
msg tools
While I don't think plasma missiles were overpowered in the base game, I'm glad ROTA gave us new techs that work against the orange rocket. Since I mostly play on iOS and don't get to do that many ROTA games, I'd like to ask how you guys see the new techs and the role of plasma missiles in ROTA. Are missiles still the way to go for mid/late game combat or have other viable alternatives emerged?

In my few ROTA games I've seen people value PM's quite highly still, probably due to the traumas suffered in the base game arrrh The counter PM techs also have often not emerged when needed, or there haven't been enough of them for more than one or two players, making the PM guy very strong against the others. Will be curious to know how you guys have experienced PM in ROTA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are already plenty of threads about this. why start a new one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hills
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damong wrote:
The counter PM techs also have often not emerged when needed,

If only one player in a game of RotA is paranoid about plasma missiles, they can select the race which starts the game with a Missile Shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D G
msg tools
MunchWolf wrote:
there are already plenty of threads about this. why start a new one?

Could you share links to those threads? All I could find was this one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/924612/to-the-designers-play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plasma missiles have far and away dropped out of favor in my group. There has been much fighting for antimatter splitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plasma Missiles are still situationally powerful because of their relative inexpensiveness compared to other builds. Research missiles and a computer and you're set. On the other hand, they're a dead end; they can be countered very hard by an endgame military build that's solid all the way around, at which point that missile research and all those upgrade actions are wasted tempo.

And that's fine. I think that there's a perfectly valid place for Plasma Missiles as a temporary power spike when you can't afford multiple military techs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.