Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time last night, and since BGG was down and I couldnt see the pictures, we weren't sure where to place the connection cost tiles.

So: We placed them everywhere

Every intertile connection we placed one on. And every circle on the neutral tiles.

This meant that in a number of instances, there were 2 or even 3 connection cost tiles between some of the cities, giving some huge connection costs.

Now, BGG pictures is back up, and from one image, I think we placed them incorrectly. I think they should be placed so that each connection has one cost piece, wherever that is placed.

But, the game worked anyways

Paul Grogan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group almost made this mistake as well, and it's because the rules are just a tad murky on the subject. They tell you to put one cost marker on each "intertile" connection, but they also tell you to put one on each circle as well. They don't really say whether you should do both at once.

We started laying out the board like you did, and immediately decided that we didn't like the idea of having multiple connection cost markers on the same connection between two cities. This game has enough fiddly mental math as it is without doubling up on connection cost tiles!

We just stuck with one connection cost tile between any two cities. Even then, there was a bit of confusion because some of the Atolla Modulis connections fork, allowing you to put one connection cost tile down that links three different cities. We let that slide, too, for the sake of mathematical simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you set it up totally at random you can have a lousy game. Totally random costs can create some very very expensive routes.

You can let each player draw 2 # tokens at a time & place one.
Only after board & cost set up do you choose turn order.

We always put 3 costs on the fork routes & pay the 2 we use at a time or buy 2 cities at once & pay all 3 but no double costs. This makes more sense to us. If you only put one cost on a fork & build from one end of the fork to both other ends of the fork in the same turn you would still have to pay for the starting leg of the fork twice & I feel that is over paying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.