Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Parker Nelson
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone! I own a few war games, but i have not played any of them, due to space issues, and the fact that my roommate has 4 cats, I'm too paranoid to attempt to play any wargames in the living room

So i've decided to try to set up a mounted metal sheet in my room and use magnets to play my wargames. However i can't seem to find the magnetic chit holders. A lot of my games have double sided chits so i would need to get the holders rather than some magnetic strips.

Does anyone know where i could get some magnetic chit holders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There was ever only the one manufacturer and he has long since ceased production. You may try to find some boxes in the after-market, such as eBay.

I used to own a few boxes but I didn't like them, specifically because of the two-sided counters aspect. I found that repeatedly pulling out and re-inserting the counters gradually damages them. Moreover, if you leave your game up for an extended period of time, the pressure on the tops and bottoms of the faces become marked by the counter holders. In summary, I didn't like them.

Various people have tried to come up with a vertical solution but none of them have proved fully successful. In this case, the world is waiting for that better mousetrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cat-proof solution might include playing games electronically such as through Vassal, even when face to face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What about using these (they sell all different sizes/ widths) and cutting the length to fit the chit.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6421/Magnetic-Labels/C...

Not sure if it will work but it is a thought..

Then you can buy a roll of this stuff which can be placed under your gameboard (as long as it is not mounted the magnetic pull should be strong enough)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221147973562?lpid=82

I have never tried this combo so I am not sure it will work but the price seems right and should work in theory.

I guess you could go one step further to prevent damage to your chits when putting them in and out of the above holders.....use the clear chit covers and place them on sideways so the sides that will be exposed to the most damage prone will be better protected...again this is in theory as I have not tried any of this......but as you can see I have thought about it.

I guess going one step further you could buy the "sign material" magnetic roll that allows you to print directly to one surface of the magnet. But then you would have to use reverse magnet pull on the chit holder as the sign material is designed for the sign to be placed on a surface with the printed side showing.....perhaps I am thinking too far into this....

My last suggestion would be a magnetic white board that is on a stand that allows the whiteboard to swivel. Imagine swiveling it flat as a playing table. When you are done and providing the magnets are strong enough to hold everything in place you can raise the whiteboard back to vertical surface and store against wall.......hmmmmm...

http://learnersupply.com/dry-erase-board-with-easel

That is a lot to chew on and perhaps not the answer you were looking for.......so take it for what it is worth.....or lack there of.....lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sisson
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, back many years ago, when the first edition of John Butterfields RAF was out, I played the game Vertically, on a sheet 22 gauge sheet metal, you can get it at a hardware store for not much money.
I was pretty cheap and still am, so here's what I did.

So you go to a hardware store looking for "shelf edging" it's a "U" shaped piece of plastic 8 feet long, and it should be available in 3/4" or 5/8" or even 1/2" thicknesses, this piece of plastic shelf edging can be cut into squares, to hold the counters.

Now to get the counter holders to hold on the Metal, while you are at the store, look for a roll of magnetic tape, cut the Magnetic tape into pieces to suite the holder, Glue them together, and Voila...
you have plastic shelving counter holders, for your mounted on sheet metal map game, I was really cheap and took the magnetic strip off the door of a refrigerator my neighbour was getting ride of.

This may sound like a bit of work but once you are done they can be reused until they fall apart.

Brings back memories, the down side is, they don't stack very well and they can be Hell on the counters, but it does work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the magnetic counter holders and I agree with the observations that the holders will increase wear on your counters and I never leave the counters on the holders for storage. BUT, I still use my magnetic counters when I run out of table space for a game. Without my white board and magnetic counters games like this will never get played in my house:

The Third World War, I couldn't fit the middle east map on my table which is about 4'x8' in size, so I used the magnetic counters.

I have found that the old GDW/SPI/AH/Victory games that don't use double sided counters and are thinner than the modern GMT counters work particularly well and the damage is very minimal. But with GMT games, the counters are thick and nowadays double sided and I don't think it's as practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
TwichyBoy wrote:
Hello everyone! I own a few war games, but i have not played any of them, due to space issues, and the fact that my roommate has 4 cats, I'm too paranoid to attempt to play any wargames in the living room

So i've decided to try to set up a mounted metal sheet in my room and use magnets to play my wargames. However i can't seem to find the magnetic chit holders. A lot of my games have double sided chits so i would need to get the holders rather than some magnetic strips.

Does anyone know where i could get some magnetic chit holders?

Counter magnets:

http://www.renaissanceink.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Get a dog.

Or a hammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faking a cat allergy might also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stevens
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I am looking for those 'chit' holders that are referenced here.

Can anyone please forward me any info on finding them?

I just got a partial hoard of SPI games that I used to play 30+ years ago. I remember that you could stack like 40+ pieces in one hex.

We used to used them at SPI for play-testing the games. 257 Park Avenue South and East 23rd street.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you look at these which were ran as a Kickstarter - I now have mine and they work really well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lordjesse/counter-magne...

While he is still producing the KS counter magnets he is planning to sell these on his website

http://countermagnets.com

They are a bit in the expensive side but they come in a variety of sizes and colours.

I should add that I also have a bunch of the old style counter magnets produced by shield laminates and these new ones are better as they don't damage the counters and take varied thickness counters, whereas the older style were limited to 1/2" or 5/8" and a thinish counter. A lot of the newer games with thicker and larger counters won't fit in the old style counter magnets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schultz
United Kingdom
Swansea
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, I have about 1000 of the 1/2" counter magnets that I am no longer in of. Willing to let them go to a loving home for a very small price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a chit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carefully Hidden Internet Throll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.