Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/section-item.asp?sid=12&i...

WTF??

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i knew it!!zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevellion
United Kingdom
DONCASTER
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Human skin as a book covering is'nt that unusual.It was part of many a death sentence issued by the crown. When Corder, the Red Barn murderer, was informed of the details of his execution, by the judge, he was told that his skin would be used to bind a bible and I believe to fabricate a pair of ladies gloves. Just goes to show what the establishment is capable of if allowed too much power! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevellion wrote:
Human skin as a book covering is'nt that unusual.It was part of many a death sentence issued by the crown. When Corder, the Red Barn murderer, was informed of the details of his execution, by the judge, he was told that his skin would be used to bind a bible and I believe to fabricate a pair of ladies gloves. Just goes to show what the establishment is capable of if allowed too much power! robot

Indeed.

William Corder was executed and his body dissected. George Creed, the surgeon who chopped up and displayed the body for thousands to see, actually had an account of the trial bound in Corder's skin.

Great days . . .

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

My guess is that this is a copy of Livre d'Eibon since it is written in French - I haven't found any references to a French translation of The Necronomicon. On the other hand, it's hard to believe that the French wouldn't be drawn to the eldritch Cthulhoid mysteries found in the The Necronomicon since the dark power of Jhur-hee Loo-his has enthralled countless Frenchmen. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there will ever be a French, or any other translation of the "Necronomicon". Lovecraft only made up a few paragraphs here and there, likewise the Mythos writers who knew him. Mythos writers after Lovecraft have varying levels of skill and sometimes the quotes they make up for the various fictional tomes are a bit lacking in style and imagination.

The various people "not quite right in the head" who write what they believe to be the "Necronomicon" (often for the purposes of deluding the gullible and making money) often fail to understand the roots of this literary fiction, or just can't write the same way. So any multipage version they invent looks nowhere near as good as the original Lovecraft quotes, and often doesn't include them.

The purpose of the Necronomicon is to provide an ancient source of information for the protagonists. Writers often barely have enough time to write their stories, let alone invent an entire book that wouldn't be used in the story. Why bother with more than just a quote or two?

Ergo - there never will be a "Necronomicon".
Writers have better things to do with their time.
Believers lack the skills or knowledge to do a good job (or are just plain nuts).
Roleplayers are a mix of the above two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend bought a copy of it and it was filled with weird line art and scribbles in an 'unknown' language. He tried to convince me that if anyone translated it and read the spells inside, the world would end.

So I have seen at least one 'real life' Necronomicon that someone has put out for CoC fans.

Regards, Rick.

EDIT: No, it was soft bound, no human skin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Smith wrote:
My friend bought a copy of it and it was filled with weird line art and scribbles in an 'unknown' language. He tried to convince me that if anyone translated it and read the spells inside, the world would end.

So I have seen at least one 'real life' Necronomicon that someone has put out for CoC fans.

Regards, Rick.

Hmm.
Was it bound in human skin too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevellion
United Kingdom
DONCASTER
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an excellent link on the history of the Necronomicon for any who are interested.
http://www.digital-brilliance.com/necron/necron.htm#What

I think a lot of gamers (Roleplayers and Boardgamers) confuse the book with a witches tome or Book of Shadows. There is no specific Book of Shadows as they are more the the individual practitioners findings, workings and research into their "Craft". As such they should be taken as personal accounts and nothing more. Anyway it's all scary stuff and should probably be left well alone.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.