Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished our first game (3p), and I thought it was interesting that the entire map was built out....not just the trading ports, but the buildings as well. The Red, Green, and Blue actions were meaningless for all players for most of the last round.

Is that typical? Or did we just have a strange game?

Of note, we did play one rule wrong which allowed one player to build at least once more than he should of been able. That rule was clarified by Feld in this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067323/another-question-on-...

I'm not complaining. Just curious if this is typical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Just finished our first game (3p), and I thought it was interesting that the entire map was built out....not just the trading ports, but the buildings as well. The Red, Green, and Blue actions were meaningless for all players for most of the last round.

Is that typical? Or did we just have a strange game?

Of note, we did play one rule wrong which allowed one player to build at least once more than he should of been able. That rule was clarified by Feld in this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1067323/another-question-on-...

I'm not complaining. Just curious if this is typical...

I've only played it once and it was with 4 players... We all but filled the board the last time. Some of the actions were worthless for some of us the last round but not many really. I don't know how typical this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We almost filled the whole board.

The only part that didn't finish was a really big island that ended up in the classic holding pattern. 2 players on opposite ends of the island needed to build to fill it up, but the player that built first gets very little out of it (only 1 point), so neither of them ever built and the island never finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 3 last night...I flipped my tower levels, which made the number of actions usually vary from 2-5 with an average of 3...we didn't fill the board...it was perhaps 60% full, although we figured after the game that building should be a slightly higher priority. All actions were worthwhile in the last round, but several things did not happen: Nobody ever maxed gold, no one scored more than 3 on the special action track and our only big island did not fill (mostly because I was a giant jerk). We did miss that only one neutral building tile could be grabbed on any single planning action turn...we remembered halfway through. This puts quite a crimp in building also. I have to say that I liked the tightness of the game, and it felt quite Feldian not being able to do everything you wanted to do. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to. My winning score was 121 I think, with 20 from production, 8 from progress track, gold and special action track, and 11 from endgame progress tiles. I scored 33 on trading posts with the remaining 56 from building (minus 7 for failing one pirate attack). The other 2 players were in the 85-95 range.

I think about just less than half the cubes were retained in the tower in the first seeding, and at the least, the tower held 10-12 cubes. We all thought the game was fantastic, so I don't myself doing too much tower tweaking...it would be nice if Stefan Feld could say a few words about how the tower is supposed to react to balance the actions correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I flipped my 'B' tile before our game. I think it retained 17 cubes at the start, and there were still like 12 left when we finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 2-player at lunch...118-107, I think...Board was about 65-75% full. Tower spit as few as 2 cubes, and as many as 8 in any given action, with 1-6 colors represented...I'd say average 4.5 cubes per drop with 3 colors represented. I like the current tower dynamics and will probably leave it this way. It provides quite a bit of angst with nearly all actions being interesting until right up to the end. You have to be really opportunistic, and the small islands vs. big islands vs. progress/gold is at a very good balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
I've only played it once and it was with 4 players... We all but filled the board the last time. Some of the actions were worthless for some of us the last round but not many really. I don't know how typical this is.

Could it be that a filled board (along with the worthless late actions), is an indicator of an over-runny tower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's how I would sum it up. The more cubes of the same color the tower spits out, the faster you run out of space on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Could it be that a filled board (along with the worthless late actions), is an indicator of an over-runny tower?

Maybe, but I made my tower less runny or leaky by flipping the B tile already. While I appreciate Travis's comments on flipping both tiles, I've seen several other people state that it makes the tower to staunch and not as fun. Travis has me interested though.

I'm still curious to see what Feld had in mind regarding the tower. The illustrations in the book point to:
- 21 cubes held on the initial drop.
- 4 cubes in (4 blue), 8 cubes out (4 blue, 1 black, 1 red, 2 green).
- 10 cubes out (3 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1)
- 6 cubes out (5 + 1)
- 4 cubes out (2 + 1 + 1)

I'm not sure that is useful at all considering the spread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Yes, I flipped my 'B' tile before our game. I think it retained 17 cubes at the start, and there were still like 12 left when we finished.

Did you just turn it over? Or did you turn it over AND around so it was facing opposite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Did you just turn it over? Or did you turn it over AND around so it was facing opposite?

I personally did the former, but you could try both until you get acceptable results on seeding tests (i.e. around 15 cubes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I flipped and turned...I could take a pic if it interests you that much. Last night, 4 players...board 96% full by my estimate. We are focusing on shipping more but at the expense of other actions. However, we realized in a 4 player game that you need to be aware of a single player staking too much claim on the board...I got boxed in on shipping and couldn't ship, plan or build the last two rounds of the game. I couldn't quite balance the point onslaught of being able to make maximum use of all actions the last 2 rounds of the game. I came close...163-153 with the other 2 players back 20 points or so. I focused on progress, gold and beating the pirates. The winning player had apportioned 1 big island and 2 medium islands to himself and could build at will. Definitely a function of the 4 player game. Cube shatz up to 11 at most and 2 at the least with about a 5 cube average...we had 6 colors represented once, but 3 was the most likely...I can tell you nobody is approaching 200 points, even with the heavy building focus, and I think this is how the game is supposed to play. Every action is worthwhile the entire game (barring being blocked/shipwrecked) with tight scoring at the end. Love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Travis - no need for a pic. If you could just let me know if the B is facing up and if it is on the same side as it was originally shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My A and B are both turned over to the flatter side. I did turn my A 180 degrees so the yellow colored tab is opposite where the yellow print is inside the tower. My A level was crushed a little so 1 part of it is creased, so this may affect the overall results slightly. I am considering asking for a new one. I left the B configured the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Travis, after our game tonight, we decided that we're going to try following your lead by flipping both floors. We'll let you know how it goes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played 3-er. I flipped a layer in the tower - think it was the B, but did it so many months ago I can't be sure. The number of actions, and choices, felt pretty perfect. The trading posts were *almost* all gone, *most* of the Islands were filled (I missed filling one of mine by one lousy square; two or three of the smaller islands had been ignored). Overall, very happy with towers, decisions and balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.