Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how about once you've committed your mission disc to attack a Spanish galleon (and you are "1 of the 2"), that's what you need to do! no more looking at the hidden tile and then deciding to "sail away"...

I might suggest that a failed attack on a galleon should have the following results:

- you remove from your ship the difference in number between the cannons you attacked with and the number of cannons you would have needed to be successful (ex: you attacked with 3 but would have needed 5, remove 2 immediately)...maybe the captain could choose between removing cannons and/or crew?...and if the mission was your final (#4) disc you instead lose x2 that number of GP's

- and/or you loose (for your next turn) that same number of location discs (the ones you place on the town locations before setting sail), giving you fewer to place for a turn (due to your loss of reputation!)...and if the voyage was your final (3rd) voyage you lose x2 that number of GP's

any thoughts?

haven't thought about applying exactly this to attacking forts as well, but maybe something along the same line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that it was playtested that way (not sailing away) but players didn't like it. I know I'd find it incredibly frustrating...although, I'm not sure if I've personally been forced to sail away yet.

I would personally rather limit the amount of luck in the game rather than increase it. It would deter the bluffing aspects as I'd be much less prone to gamble on locations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game a lot - including extensive play testing.

IMHO, I think your ideas will be too harsh. You are already losing a mission by sailing away. This is a fairly large opportunity cost wasted. Then adding further injury to the unlucky captain, making him lose his guns, and maybe a further mission next turn, will pretty much put him out of contention.

As it stands, a clever captain should be able so size up a situation and decide whether it is better to use his supplies then and there, or to wait for a more profitable target further down on the mission planning.

Of course, feel free to play it this way or any way you like and let us all know how your group likes it. Please be sure to make it clear that you are using your OWN house rules!

Thanks for your interest and support of Eagle-Gryphon Games!

Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey, just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would ruin the bluffing aspect of the game. Also, sometimes you might put a disc on all 3 galleon locations, knowing that you will only be able to defeat 2 of them. Or maybe you are just taking a risk that only +1 cannon is added, since you had nothing else to do with that action disc.

Also, it should be allowed to decline to fight if another player beats you there due to turn order.

You should never be penalized for putting your action disc on a location. The loss of the action is bad enough already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
hey, just a thought...

But it wasn't just a thought. You've brought it here to the forums to solicit opinions (otherwise, what was the point, really?)

Personally, I agree that it would be changing way too much. That's not so much a house rule, that's a whole new house.

What I'm more interested to learn is why the urge to change it at all in the first place? Did someone get hosed with the rules as written and decided they needed to tweak them in their favor?

Just curious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- kevin, the answer is "no" (nobody got hosed that I know of, and no need to tweak something in someone's favor)...and "just a thought" is just an expression; of course I was looking for feedback

- jeff, yes you could decline if you're beaten to the location...that wasn't an issue...

and to me it was more sticking with the theme...these aren't 4 (or 5) diff ships sailing out of port...it's supposed to be 1 ship, your ship, and the numbers on the discs are only to indicate the order you've decided to sail your ship to (I would assume that's why if you place a "4" when others have placed a "1" and a "3", you weren't that interested in that location and when you finally arrive there the galleon has already been sunk, fort destroyed, or town looted and you get nothing)...

to me if you get close enough to a galleon and initiate a fight, only to find that the counter once flipped puts you at a disadvantage (or, you're not strong enough to win) just "sailing away" seems a bit to easy...seems like there should be some "cost" for starting a battle you can't finish, that's all...since you're both in galleons, if the spanish galleon has more firepower how come they can't simply blow you away?

I know it's NOT a war game, but again...just "losing that 1 disc" isn't really a penalty...again, that's your 1 ship for the whole voyage, and what you're doing is simply running away from a ship that could (in theory) sail as fast as you and pay you back for initiating the fight...

my only thought was to make the aggressor (and loser) pay a small penalty before sailing on to his/her next "adventure" (maybe losing that 1 cannon in an ill-advised attack early in your voyage will now make it harder to capture that next galleon/fort)...

hey...this game probably doesn't have many more supporters/backers/bigger fans than me (I even have 2 extra copies, with expansions, in my closet already...they're Christmas gifts!)...but there's nothing wrong with soliciting ideas from other BGG'ers on how to possibly better implement an idea/theory I might want to try, in my game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the ship tokens are Spanish frigates, I assumed, thematically speaking, that as you sailed toward the expected location of the Spanish galleon, you look through your spyglass and see the galleon is supported by a frigate. Knowing that fighting two ships will consume more ammo (guns) than you expected, you have to decide if you'll have enough ammo (guns) for the remainder of your mission. Since you have not yet engaged the Spanish, you have time to adjust course for your next destination, if you choose to do so. The Spanish are carrying precious treasures from the Incan/Aztec empires, and do not want to risk them by pursuing an English galleon.

So, you're not cowardly running from a fight, you're managing your meager resources to maximize damage to the Spanish, even if that means avoiding the Spanish fleet so you can attack a fort later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can live with that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a little more randomness

* simply take the 0 and 1 tiles, shuffle those, draw some and place these are troop/cannon bonuses (e.g. leave out those with +2) - you can also leave in all tiles so its just the double set and more variation.

* take a D6, on any attack roll the die, for a 6/5 you get +1 cannon (temporarily), for a 3/4 nothing changes, for a 1/2 the spanish galleon gets +1 cannon (temporarily).

This way things are less deterministic but you do not get punished for not attacking successfully beyond losing a mission disc / mission option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.