Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to try out a Torgan Deck that I built a few weeks ago.

6x Fighters
5x Shooters
3x Chargers
Bragg, Krom, and Grok

The purpose of this deck was reach and assassination. Bragg to keep the walls alive when moving them into enemy territories and commons and champions that could move extra or had range. I later wished they had some extra kick, but that will be addressed later.

My opponent chose Queen Maldaria, base deck. I won the roll and chose to go first.

My first task was to try and clear the board of as many units as I could. A Fire Archer and Fireling went down first, but I don't think in the entire game I attacked the Fire Dancer. Those things freak me out and never seem worth the effort.

I was able to get some Minor Ice Walls down early with Glacial Surge and move them with Glacial Shift. My opponent was doing a great job keeping the Queen protected with 2 walls but still getting some 4 dice hits too.

I was able to get Bragg out fairly quickly and in a nice spot on the other side of the board, giving 2 wounds to the Queen. But in a mistake, I moved him right next to the Queen, just because I wanted to keep the pressure on. After a quick one-turn kill of Lava Flow and Wrath of the Volcano, my momentum halted. My Ice Armors kept my starting Beserkers alive, but my Crusher killed himself trying to take out a wall...

The board is a mess at this point. Nine different walls were spread out all over the place and we could hardly maneuver around. I was preparing for the end, building an ice fortress around Torgan. But then, a courageous Charger moved his way across the board and was able to survive a vicious attack from the Queen, stopping her progress. This gave me a chance to summon a Shooter and Krom, play For Glory, use Krom's Ice Shatter to kill a blocker for the Queen, and go 2/2 with the Charger and Shooter.

Grok and Krom were the last two cards. It was a very close game and very entertaining.

I think I am going to try a deck with Smashers instead of Shooters, but there are tons of other options as well. I love this game. The Queen is amazing, moving around the board like a swirling fire tornado, whipping units from the far reaches of the board to her side. I love the way the walls grow and move with Torgan shifting these blocks of ice over commons. I cannot wait for the next Second Summoners. They both capture the theme of their faction in a whole different way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
I don't think in the entire game I attacked the Fire Dancer. Those things freak me out and never seem worth the effort.
Exactly my sentiments when playing Tundra Orcs against Maldaria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.