Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been mulling over an interesting selection puzzle over the last few days and I thought I'd get some thoughts from BGG

We are travelling interstate (Sydney to Brisbane, about a 1.5 hour flight) to visit some friends and take the kids to the theme parks on the gold coast. The friends we are staying with in Brisbane are keen gamers, and we have introduced them to games like Dixit, Pandemic, Resistance etc. They are going to set up a games day with other friends of theirs - a couple and their 12 year old daughter who they have been playing games with.

After enthusing about the huge suitcases of games that I'm going to bring with me, I was told in no uncertain terms that I was only allowed to bring one game to their house. ONE. GAME. Oh the humanity. Well, I guess I need to be occasionally saved from myself.

I did manage to negotiate my way to THREE games though, so I've been thinking long and hard about which games to bring.

The participants:

- Me. I love all games. Favourites at the moment are heavy Euros like Terra Mystica, Tzolk'in, Keyflower and Eclipse.
- My wife. She likes gaming, but zones out with anything that plays more than about an hour, maybe 90 minutes at a stretch. Ticket to Ride is a long game for her.
- My friend and her husband - keen gamers, but I think have mostly played the lighter games so far.
- The new people - don't really know anything about them.

My collection: Losfp's Collection - anything without a rating is a game in my collection that I haven't played yet, and as such I would be reluctant to bring it with me.

My proposed selections:

1. 7 Wonders. Lightish game. Plays quickly. Easy to learn after the first couple of games. Will allow all 7 people to play.

2. Coup. Fast bluffing game. I have enough cards to play with all 7 people. Plays fast enough so that we can get a few games in.

3. Cards Against Humanity. I think my friends would love it and it would be a blast to play with them. However I don't know the other friends (including a 12 year old!) so I can't really judge whether they would be the "right audience" for this game.

I'm almost set on the first two games, but I'm thinking about replacing CaH with something... better.

Some possible alternatives:

1. Kingdom Builder - I like this game. It plays quickly, and the variable setup gives it a bit of replayability. A bit abstract though, and the theme is barely even pasted on. We would also have to split up into two groups.

2. Alhambra - Love this game, but I think it suffers at higher player counts - a bit too random at 6 players.

3. Takenoko - cute, fun and easy. Only plays 4 though.

4. Escape! Curse of the Temple - I have the expansion, so I have enough dice to play with 6. Really short and fun, but not a huge amount of depth to it.

5. Bang! - Can play with 7, but early player elimination can sour the experience for a new player.

6. Do I pull the trigger on a "heavier" game, play it with 2-3 of the more serious gamers while the rest play a party game/light game? Games like Power Grid, Village, Tzolk'in, Keyflower, Belfort, Fresco. This would be a gamble though, and most of these are bigger and heavier boxes to tote onto a plane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's dice: print a board, find 36 dice and 7 cups.

7 is tough. I am doing 7 later this month, but we prefer heavy games. We will be playing Mascarade and Liar's Dice as Fillers. The main game will probably be Eclipse with the Rise of Ancients expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I normally play with non-gamers and 7 Wonders goes over well. The gamers in our group still like it a lot too.

There are several BGG entries under Coup but I didn't see one on your list. I assume it's similar to Mafia/Werewolf. I usually start with Mafia because it is easy to grasp, has depth, and requires only the familiar deck of cards. (Meaning I have a million other games as well). BANG! is similar, but I don't really like the card-based play. It's slower and less approachable because being eliminated doesn't offer any consolation where in Mafia you get to see all the active roles.

I would be careful with Cards Against Humanity. Get to know the couple and their daughter before it hits the table. If you take it, be prepared to remove several of the cards before play or even not pull it out at all.

You don't say how old your kids are. If you take heavier games and the 12 year old doesn't like them, will they be okay playing lighter games with her instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raithyn wrote:

There are several BGG entries under Coup but I didn't see one on your list.

I think it's listed under Coup. Great little game, hidden identities etc.

raithyn wrote:

You don't say how old your kids are. If you take heavier games and the 12 year old doesn't like them, will they be okay playing lighter games with her instead?

Phoebe is 5 and Bethany is 5 months (so will be chewing on meeples, not playing with them). Phoebe already likes games like Zooloretto, Sleeping Queens etc. Might be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed you said you already introduced them to this, but I don't think you can go wrong with The Resistance, so long as the people who've played it like it. I've never introduced that to a group who didn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe RoboRally? Another quality game that can accommodate your group even if some drop out. And unless they've played it, it will probably be very different from what they usually play.

Might want to do just 1 or 2 flags if you have 7 playing, though. Don't want a rather light game to overstay its welcome.

I also suggest you buy Citadels, then stash it in the 7 Wonders box for a 4th game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep things light and easy for the first time playing with a group rather than trying to get them into anything too heavy. 7 wonders would work if they have played a bit before and the Resistance is a good idea.

For the third take something like King of Tokyo that has a lot of dice rolling and luck involved. It can be a good thing to finish on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I forgot to mention, they already have Dixit, Resistance, Lost Cities, Carcassonne, Pandemic - so I am already assuming we will be playing Dixit and Resistance - both great games that accommodate lots of players without a lot of downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.