Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make an interesting point here. I enjoy his reviews. He demonstrates a lot of passion for boardgames. His likes often mirror my own.

Much as I've said "not one more KickStarter" I think I'd back his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why he would if he wasn't making a ton of money on it. I mean you realize he is the man who:

Created the Syphon Filter series and was game designer for all 3 (and I am sure got a nnniiiccceee payday from Sony when they bought Eidetic)
Was the Lead Designer on Fable II
and Creative Director for Brink

I mean unless he just wants to do it to do it.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he mentions some good tweaking and houserules ideas in his runthroughs and I guess if he wants to, he could make a great 2 player unagressive medium heavy boardgame...

Would be curious to hear some of his ideas (every boardgamer thinks about designing one him/herself at least once) about theme and mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
MajikJack wrote:
You make an interesting point here.

What did (s)he say? The OP has disappeared!

MajikJack wrote:
Much as I've said "not one more KickStarter" I think I'd back his.

Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence, but believe me, I know myself well enough to know that I'm simply not smart enough to design a good boardgame. At least, I think I'm not. For most of my career, I've worked on high octane action video games - never done a more thoughtful strategy/resource management type thing, so I don't think my former career sets me up for boardgame design success.

I've had ideas about a game I'd like to play - everyone has I'm sure, but I know full well from my former life that having an idea is one thing, but making it a reality is quite another.

VetruvianGamer wrote:
Would be curious to hear some of his ideas (every boardgamer thinks about designing one him/herself at least once) about theme and mechanics.

Okay, well the one idea I've given the most thought to is a simulation of running a videogame development company (make what you know, right?) where your employees are represented by dice that you 'hire' from a queue that appears on the main board - different coloured dice represent different roles that have to be filled (art, animation, programming, design, audio, production), and different side counts represent different levels of experience (a d4 is a novice straight out of school & a d12 is a seasoned veteran). When they're placed on the job market, they're first rolled to find out what their base "attitude" or "morale level" is, so you might see a really high level guy, but his attitude is crap. Hiring is done through a fast simple 1 round auction that defines their base salary (tracked on an overall 'budget' meter on your board).

Once you hire them, you literally place them at desks on your expandable personal 'dev studio' board. The longer they work for you, you adjust their pip values up and down, representing their morale based on various factors - the need to crunch to hit milestones, investment in various perks like snacks, better equipment, training, excursions, bonuses, etc. and the relative morale of who they're sat next to (put a high morale person surrounded by low morale folks, his will go down but the others will go up), and the higher their morale, the more productive the are. You need to deal with salaries, budget overruns, events (preparing demos for shows, press response, unreasonable publisher demands, competition) all with the intent of releasing a final product onto the market, and scoring points based on how well it sells (based on criteria related to shifting public taste, how much PR went into it, and the overall quality of the game itself based on innovation, fun factor, and how buggy it is).

My other main idea was a more traditional euro sim where a the main board is a city where the overall economy is driven by consumer demand for various things (setting could be modern, or classic, or fantasy, or outerspace, or what have you) and the gameplay represents a symbiotic economy where players could choose to focus on several different kinds of businesses to run and be prosperous, all to meet that consumer demand. The main business types are import/export, base resource production, goods manufacturing, and retail.

Trying to build a company that covers several of those business types would be a recipe for failure, as you wouldn't succeed at any of them very well, so you'd want to focus on just one or maybe two of them, and the focus you would decide upon is based on the needs of the other players.

If no one is producing local goods, then you might want to be the first to start an import/export business to get those goods from elsewhere, and then sell them to the players who are doing manufacturing. Or you could focus on selling those manufactured or imported goods to consumers. Each role would have very different focus of factors that have to be accounted for (retail: customer service, manufacturing: labor/union needs, import/export: foreign markets fickleness, resource production: shifting environmental factors) but the player who wins is the one who best deals with his own problems efficiently, while still producing stuff that the other players will buy to meet their own needs.

I was thinking players could even jump into or leave the game mid way through, as final scoring is based on a sliding scale of success - much like Smallworld, you can only take a given business so far before it's reached its potential and starts to decline. So the timing of selling your business at its peak to score VP is essential, and of all the businesses you run over the course of the game, your final score is based on the average score of all of them (or maybe lowest, or highest?) That way, if you've played from start to finish, you've probably built and sold 3 or 4 or maybe 5 businesses, trying to exploit the shifting needs of the overall simulation. But if you jump in later in the game, you maybe only have time to build & sell one or two businesses, but you could still be included in the final scoring.

Anyway, those are just a couple of thoughts. I like the ideas, but I know full well I'm not the guy to make them happen - it's a LOT of hard work, and I'm simply too lazy to see it through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play either of these games... the video game studio one would really work for me. Burn Rate strikes me as a name, or Launch Party.

I actually bought this game because I thought the point was super-brilliant. I'll confess to not having played it after buying it... my main computer is a Chromebook and I'm too lazy to haul the work laptop home if I don't have to. LOL

Game Dev Tycoon

I get you on the good ideas but too lazy front. I tend to call it "too busy" though, and with the pile of games you've got to review right now, I think you could join that club without a problem.
meeple
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Marks
Belgium
Rijmenam
flag msg tools
Yes, something went wrong with the intro... and now I'm too lazy to redo it. (it was something about you having years of experience and a clear view of what you like about games) I’m a ‘he’ btw...

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You know I believe a lot of gamers think about designing their own game(s) but never see it through. I wake up almost every morning with a new idea for a board game. I have tons of ideas written down. When I make them into a game I can immediately see it’s not worth pursuing. Or maybe it is, but I don’t have the patience to change it and play it a million times. Every time I think: “When the most excellent design presents itself I will have the willpower to pursue it...”

I think a lot of gamers are sitting on brilliant ideas that would make it into excellent and different games. I’m still really surprised by the thousands and thousands of games, but only 51 mechanics... that seems so strange to me. When I went to Essen this year I was again confronted with too many games playing almost exactly the same. Nothing much has changed since the 70’s... what am I saying nothing much has changed since the Greeks were playing board games.

I would love to see a complete revolution in board games. And I think the only way is for all those gamers making their ideas into games. You know, the most stupid idea can become something really amazing. It just takes someone with a different view on things...

So I say, make your games! (I’m actually saying that as much to myself as to other games out there...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence, but believe me, I know myself well enough to know that I'm simply not smart enough to design a good boardgame.

I have to disagree with you on that. I'm a complete bonehead and I've had pretty good luck since starting board game design.

Besides, you have experience with THE most important aspect of game design in general, the target audience. It doesn't matter whether you are designing a high-paced shooter or a smart-pants strategy games... it's all about reading a player-base and implementing design that satisfies them.

I have very little board game experience and most of my design philosophies come from my video game background. There are absolute differences between the two markets and it might require a change in focus... but there is no doubt in my mind you could handle it.

I'd never force you to make a game but don't ever doubt you have the skills. In fact, most famous board game designers I've talked to have admitted to not being especially smart or talented.
Turns out, just like me, they are average human beings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
JuliaZ wrote:
I would play either of these games... the video game studio one would really work for me. Burn Rate strikes me as a name, or Launch Party.

I actually bought this game because I thought the point was super-brilliant. I'll confess to not having played it after buying it... my main computer is a Chromebook and I'm too lazy to haul the work laptop home if I don't have to. LOL

Game Dev Tycoon

I get you on the good ideas but too lazy front. I tend to call it "too busy" though, and with the pile of games you've got to review right now, I think you could join that club without a problem.
meeple
JAZ

Game Dev Tycoon was exactly what I though of when reading Richard's first idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.