Popular Tags: [View All]
Rainer Korzendörfer
Germany
Sachsenheim
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I wonder why there is no USSR Card about the Race Problems (Black/White) in the US in the 60-70?

I dont want to start a politcal Discussion.
I only thought that would fit the Russian Propagand.

Ad Astra
Zocker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is those problems were largely domestic in effect, so a)not as relevant to foreign policy and b)difficult to represent given the fact that Home countries are not contested areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
My guess is those problems were largely domestic in effect, so a)not as relevant to foreign policy and b)difficult to represent given the fact that Home countries are not contested areas.

That was indeed the rationale. However, by way of demonstrating that there were no purely domestic/international questions during the Cold War, the Civil Rights movement used the international card in the debates over the Civil Rights Act. It was argued to some effect in Congress that in order for our system of government to be attractive, and for us to lead the "free world" we had to address the racial inequities in the United States. It is also surely true that the Soviets tried to exploit our domestic difficulties for propaganda value.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would think that the effects of the civil rights movement of the 50's and 60's are at least vaguely modeled in the card "Flower Power", which represents youth disaffection with Capitalist society and the war in Vietnam in particular. The anti-war movement of the late 60's was given tremendous inspiration and impetus by the movement for black civil rights which preceeded it.

It does seem to belittle the importance of domestic opposition to U.S. foreign policy to sum at up as "flower power", though. But a number of the card names are tougue-in-cheek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.