Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a US backer, it looks like it's going to be a while before I get this game. Meanwhile, people in Europe are already playing... and not one person (well, as far as I can tell) has yet written about the so-called Finnish surprise promised in the KS!

C'mon! What is it? Or are you all keeping your mouths shut to not ruin it for everyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a candy shaped like a car.

Seen here in the yellow wrapper. http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1826424/gear-piston
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Good catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds likely, we (US backers) won't be getting them, as the games are being shipped to Game Salute for processing, as opposed to being fulfilled by LudiCreations, as the rest of the world was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
It sounds likely, we (US backers) won't be getting them, as the games are being shipped to Game Salute for processing, as opposed to being fulfilled by LudiCreations, as the rest of the world was.

I may be mistaken, but I think the LudiCreations guys pre-processed the US games in Essen before giving them to GameSalute.

The Kickstarter first player metal gear token and the expansion is also not in the shrinkwrapped box, so they must have given those to GameSalute separately too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fourmyle21 wrote:
jmathias wrote:

I may be mistaken, but I think the LudiCreations guys pre-processed the US games in Essen before giving them to GameSalute.

The Kickstarter first player metal gear token and the expansion is also not in the shrinkwrapped box, so they must have given those to GameSalute separately too.

I really do hope that is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
fourmyle21 wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Indeed. The pallets to Game Salute include carbon steel gears, finnish surprises and mini-expansions for all US-based backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:
fourmyle21 wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Indeed. The pallets to Game Salute include carbon steel gears, finnish surprises and mini-expansions for all US-based backers.

Great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived today! Can't figure out what the candy is (trying to work out who to give it to)? Is it liquorice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
urbaer wrote:
My copy arrived today! Can't figure out what the candy is (trying to work out who to give it to)? Is it liquorice?

Well, to some it tastes like that, and to others it tastes eerily close to what the carbon steel gear might taste like. In any case, it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki, and for more nutritional (heh) information you can see http://www.halva.fi/www/popupcard.php?id=82.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Müller
Germany
Wörrstadt
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These Finnish salmiakki taste completely different to the ones I am used to. I think they put more sugar in their liquorice or something. So it might appeal to liquorice-haters, too.

Quote:
(trying to work out who to give it to)

If no one wants it, just tell people it's solid Vegemite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:
urbaer wrote:

Well, to some it tastes like that, and to others it tastes eerily close to what the carbon steel gear might taste like. In any case, it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki, and for more nutritional (heh) information you can see http://www.halva.fi/www/popupcard.php?id=82.

OK... interesting. Thanks for the wikipedia link... "tounge-numbing". Might avoid giving it to the two year old then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
urbaer wrote:
LudiCreations wrote:
urbaer wrote:

OK... interesting. Thanks for the wikipedia link... "tounge-numbing". Might avoid giving it to the two year old then!

It depends - put it at the top of the cookie jar - that'll teach them to raid it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:
fourmyle21 wrote:
jmathias wrote:

This is all well and good, but it tells me nothing. I am just a simpleton, so would someone please just give me a "window" of when I can expect my copy to arrive. I'm in California.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
LudiCreations wrote:
fourmyle21 wrote:
jmathias wrote:

This is all well and good, but it tells me nothing. I am just a simpleton, so would someone please just give me a "window" of when I can expect my copy to arrive. I'm in California.

According to the below quote on the Kickstarter (emphasis mine), it looks like the US games have not been picked up by Game Salute yet for shipping across the ocean, and that won't happen until at least the 20th of November, but that is just a guess.

I don't expect to receive the game until sometime in 2014.

EDIT: I really feel like US backers got the shaft on this, and I will be much less likely to back or buy LudiCreation titles in the future, because of it.

Quote:
If you are a USA-based backer, none of the above is any interest to you - psych! Your games are on pallets, waiting to be picked up by Game Salute, for the sea-freight passage to the USA. They were supposed to be picked up right after Spiel on 28 October, but as of yet, they have not been. The best estimate that we were given for that is 20 November. Following that, it may take a few weeks to cross the Atlantic, get sorted at their New Hampshire warehouse, and then shipped out to you. We will post here with more info as we receive it.

The reason for this method, as we posted on Sep. 25, is that it helps us minimize the paperwork, losses due to the postal services, and the potential damage to the games. Also, we would have never been able to ship so many without a fulfillment partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
jmathias wrote:
pacman88k wrote:
LudiCreations wrote:

According to the below quote on the Kickstarter (emphasis mine), it looks like the US games have not been picked up by Game Salute yet for shipping across the ocean, and that won't happen until at least the 20th of November, but that is just a guess.

Quote:
If you are a USA-based backer, none of the above is any interest to you - psych! Your games are on pallets, waiting to be picked up by Game Salute, for the sea-freight passage to the USA. They were supposed to be picked up right after Spiel on 28 October, but as of yet, they have not been. The best estimate that we were given for that is 20 November. Following that, it may take a few weeks to cross the Atlantic, get sorted at their New Hampshire warehouse, and then shipped out to you. We will post here with more info as we receive it.

The reason for this method, as we posted on Sep. 25, is that it helps us minimize the paperwork, losses due to the postal services, and the potential damage to the games. Also, we would have never been able to ship so many without a fulfillment partner.

This is correct, no need to guess.

jmathias wrote:
EDIT: I really feel like US backers got the shaft on this, and I will be much less likely to back or buy LudiCreation titles in the future, because of it.

It seems like US backers do not mind as much:

Given these, backers of our future campaigns can expect to get their rewards via sea freight, whether through Game Salute or through another fulfillment provider. If a delay of about a month more than the rest of the world feels like "getting the shaft", then this is basically what the rest of the world feels like for the vast majority of KS projects, which have rewards produced in China and shipped from the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:

The quote from Kickstarter, says

Quote:
The best estimate that we were given for that is 20 November

Estimate is a guess, I'm not guessing, your quote is saying it's a guess.

LudiCreations wrote:

Yup, I'm one of the US backers that does care, but I get the sense, or I feel like you are saying, my opinion doesn't matter, because I was out voted.

LudiCreations wrote:
Given these, backers of our future campaigns can expect to get their rewards via sea freight, whether through Game Salute or through another fulfillment provider. If a delay of about a month more than the rest of the world feels like "getting the shaft", then this is basically what the rest of the world feels like for the vast majority of KS projects, which have rewards produced in China and shipped from the US.

I feel the US backers are getting the shaft, because of the general attitude of "oh, well, now you know what non-US backers feel on other kickstarters" not because of the delay in shipping.

I'm baffled as to why you think it is OK to treat US backers differently than non-US backers, just strange behavior. And THAT is the reason I feel shafted, and won't be purchasing any more games from LudiCreations, not because of the delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, I feel a responsibility here as OP. My first post wasn't to complain (though I did voice my disappointment that I still have some more waiting to do), but to solve the mystery behind the surprise.

If you guys want to start up a KS shipping b!tch and moan thread, please go ahead and do so. Maybe I'll join in there and throw my opinion into the ring as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
jmathias wrote:
LudiCreations wrote:

The quote from Kickstarter, says

Quote:
The best estimate that we were given for that is 20 November

Estimate is a guess, I'm not guessing, your quote is saying it's a guess.

Our quote is saying it is an estimate. If you would like to take that as a guess, then that's completely ok.

jmathias wrote:
LudiCreations wrote:

Yup, I'm one of the US backers that does care, but I get the sense, or I feel like you are saying, my opinion doesn't matter, because I was out voted.

That's about right. Unfortunately, our campaigns for our games, which are produced in Europe and shipped from Essen will not fit all expectations of global simultaneous delivery. It is very important that everyone knows that, and pledges (or does not pledge) accordingly.

In short, if having the game delivered at the same time as someone in Europe is important to you, then indeed, you might not want to pledge to one of our campaigns, as we prioritize value for money, when it comes to providing our service to backers.

And, yes, as long as a majority of US backers don't mind, we will continue to have the same priority.

jmathias wrote:
Quote:
LudiCreations wrote:

I feel the US backers are getting the shaft, because of the general attitude of "oh, well, now you know what non-US backers feel on other kickstarters" not because of the delay in shipping.

I'm baffled as to why you think it is OK to treat US backers differently than non-US backers, just strange behavior. And THAT is the reason I feel shafted, and won't be purchasing any more games from LudiCreations, not because of the delay.

We think it is ok to treat US backers differently than non-US backers, because there is an ocean between Europe and North America, and because a vast majority of US backers do not mind receiving their games later. We accept that this will result in some US backers not backing our campaigns in the future, and we will focus on those that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It arrived at my desk in New Zealand today. The packaging would get my award for the most battered box, broken, ripped and so on. But the game box is ok, as are the tiles. I am taking it to a convention at the weekend and get someplays in.

I enjoyed the Finnish suprise, it has been years since i had similar sweets in Sweden and Estonia. But be careful if you ever get into a Marmite vs Vegemite debate. Damage from the Christchurch earthquake shut down the factory that made marmite, leading to a great marmite crisis when stocks ran out. I was one of the lucky ones who found a couple of jars that got me through the crisis without requiring either vegemite or even British marmite, which also tastes wrong. Happily, marmite returned, but doesn't taste quite the same - made in another factory it seems.  

As for being shafted, we in New Zealand get the raw deal all the time, and there are many kickstarter campaigns in which we can't even partake. Being a pretty small market means prices are high and shipping takes a while. I have spent a small fortune on games this year (around 30 plus expansions) but i could have added dozen or if I lived in the US with its deep discounters.

That said, there are a number of smaller operators on kickstarter that do go out of their way to offer group or single options for as much bang for buck as they can, whilst remaining viable for for the company. Ludicreations, at least in the context of this game, is one of them, whilst bigger companies like GMT offers a cheap and slow shipping option, and having the option is much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.