Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone! First off, my apologies. I don't have my copy of the game anymore (long story), so I have no access to the rules or character cards. But I have good reason to ask! My sons and their wives are playing Talisman again this Saturday after their very first game together last weekend. Sounds like everyone had a fine time (they borrowed a copy of the game from a Portland game store), but they did come away with a question re the Minstrel.

The player used the Minstrel's ability to charm or otherwise make a dragon her follower. She then took the dragon into combat multiple times and bashed the tar out of everything.

So I have to ask before Saturday's rematch...is this according to the rules or was something misinterpreted? My oldest son called and asked about this evening, but neither of us had the darned character in front of us!!! shake

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh-they are using the revised 4th Ed FFG version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Hi, everyone! First off, my apologies. I don't have my copy of the game anymore (long story), so I have no access to the rules or character cards. But I have good reason to ask! My sons and their wives are playing Talisman again this Saturday after their very first game together last weekend. Sounds like everyone had a fine time (they borrowed a copy of the game from a Portland game store), but they did come away with a question re the Minstrel.

The player used the Minstrel's ability to charm or otherwise make a dragon her follower. She then took the dragon into combat multiple times and bashed the tar out of everything.

So I have to ask before Saturday's rematch...is this according to the rules or was something misinterpreted? My oldest son called and asked about this evening, but neither of us had the darned character in front of us!!! shake

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh-they are using the revised 4th Ed FFG version.

I have no access to the rules or character cards, but yep, they messed things up a bit:
A Dragon is not an animal (Enemy - Dragon)
A Wild Boar is an animal (Enemy - Animal)
A Goblin is not an animal (Enemy - Monster)
A Pack of Wolves is an animal (Enemy - Animal)
A Ghost is not an animal (Enemy - Spirit)
A Raging Bull is an animal (Enemy - Animal)
etc.
etc.

I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!
- The Elephant Man (1980)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ray! We all thought it was WAY overpowered and that explains it. I haven't played in quite awhile and had forgotten about the breakdowns of animals, monsters, etc.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Passing all this along to Portland...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they overlook the requirement of the die roll (he has to roll over the target's Str)? If they were rolling 8+ (Dragon has Str 7) on 1D6, I think there are other issues as well .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect they got that part right, but I'll pass this on. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Did they overlook the requirement of the die roll (he has to roll over the target's Str)? If they were rolling 8+ (Dragon has Str 7) on 1D6, I think there are other issues as well .

I was thinking about this as well... They probably forgot the die roll or they played with an expansion that added low strenght Enemy-Dragons which would be a possibility, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no expansions for sure. Will make sure about the die roll, though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaterxes wrote:
Ray is right!

Also, remember that charming an animal means you stop encountering cards. For example, if the Minstrel draws a Serpent, Solomon's Crown, and Talisman on the Hidden Valley, and he chooses to charm the Serpent (whether successfully or unsuccessfully), he has to stop encountering cards and cannot pick up the other items.

The reason is that a creature must be killed or evaded to proceed with the encounters. Bribing, charming, etc. is not considered evading unless it specifically says "evade."

This is only true if the Minstrel unsuccessfully charms an Animal. If successful, he continues his turn as normal (the Enemy is cleared from the space enabling the Minstrel to encounter any other cards).

Talisman Digital Edition already handles the Minstrel in the exact same manner.

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the first time I've heard of the Digital Edition doing it not RAW (as per R4th rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.