Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you guys and girls help me with this one? Although I LOVE dice, my 10 Essen purchases were almost all diceless... Now, I think the choices I made were quite excellent but... now I'm yearning for some dice throwing...

So, I'm looking for an ideal game with these criteria:

- Dice! I want a fair amount of dice throwing. Not necessary Quarriors amount but I want the feeling I'm playing with dice.

- Perfect for 2 players (since I mostly play with my girlfriend only) and the possibility to have 4 or maybe 6 players.

- Medium heavy: I mean, not zombiedice light, but not Cosmic Encounter heavy. Something with some challenge but it has to be fun in the first place.

- Little text (or a Dutch version, then it doesn't matter) for my girlfriend's English isn't great yet.

- Preferably with theme (and nice artwork) and not too agressive towards eachother. It can be co-op but that's no must.

- Cards are a possible plus too (but dice are more important).

I know, I'm being quite specific, but I wonder what you'll advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into both your choices and not convinced yet. I've seen part 1 of both game's Rahdo Runthroughs, maybe I'd better see the extended plays too.

Thanks for the suggestions btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Yspahan or Arena: Roma II?

Review of Yspahan: Yspahan - A Detailed Review
Review of Roma: A Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: A proven two-player game for Dominion fans to discover, appreciate, and embrace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for Troyes, followed closely by Castles of Burgundy.

If you're wanting a bit more dice-rolling, have a look at Alea Iacta Est.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneage perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arena looks quite interesting. Love Feld's Amerigo so a designer that has my attention. I'll check all those titles you're advicing ppl! I appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of turning into That Guy Who Always Recommends The Same Game (tm), I'd go with Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, pricey to get into (One base set won't be enough for long, although it's ok for a couple of games, expect at least 100€ in purchases, potentially much more if you really get into it, I've spent over 200 and still haven't completed my 2 of everything set).
It's ideal for 2 players (more players can play in teams with everyone controlling part of a squad), it's a lot of fun, it's got a bunch of dice rolling, its rules are pretty straightforward, and the cards are easily learned (They're used to buy your force and provide pilots with special abilities and equipment). Furthermore the card artwork and minis are very nice.
I've been playing it almost exclusively for the last couple weeks.

Now there is one caveat as per your requirements, in that it is a pure direct-conflict AT game. Missions aside, your usual victory condition is blowing up each other's fleet, and even in missions where this is not the primary objective there is still a good deal of fighting. That being said, there is some room to avoid excessive nastyness (Such as not using ion cannons to navigate your opponent off the map, which is hilarious if you manage to do it, but should probably not be used against people who'll get mad about such things).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice games I've liked:

Stone Age
Alien Frontiers
To Court the King might be too light

Of course, you could get her to learn Memoir '44 whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Troyes. It's my favorite dice game. I'm going to play it tonight. Yeah.

The Castles of Burgundy is a bit lighter, but still good Euro fun with dice.

Gears of War: The Board Game - If it's all about chucking tons of dice, this is the best option. It's co-op, but I don't find the typical alpha-player problem in it because players should keep their hands to themselves, so the alpha-tempted player doesn't even know the other players' options. And dice, yeah, it's all about chucking dice as much as possible. I got an extra set of dice because sometimes there wasn't enough in the base game for the copious amounts I got to toss some turns. Good, dice-chuckin' fun!

And the GoW dice look good, to boot:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
+1 Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Dice games I've liked:

Stone Age

Looks nice at first sight. Will check this one out. Tnx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

I forgot this one had dice. One to consider too. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lots of dice throwing?

How come no one recommends Escape?
Okay, maybe it isn't exactly medium heavy, and I would say it is more dice throwing than Quarriors, but otherwise the description fits.

But I second the Ghost Stories, Troyes and Castle of Burgundy recommendations as well, all of those are really good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We already have Escape and love it. But we don't always feel like having that (fun) stress in that game after a day at work. That's why we're looking for something a bit less hectic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you like Escape, you might want to have a look at the two expansions and the mini expansions as well. Especially the new quest expansion looks interesting I haven't played it yet though).

And I second Roll through the ages as well. That reminds me of a similiar game: Settlers of Catan Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm thinking out loud... What do you guys think about Kingsburg in this discussion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference of dice-manipulation games:

Troyes > > Castles of Burgundy > > > > > Kingsburg

Troyes really is king of category. I played last night and got my butt handed to me by my wife, but I was still having a blast creating cool combos with my dice. The actions allow such great creativity for powering up your dice. It's just ... delicious.

Kingsburg is just boring after something like Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Elder Sign? It would be ok with 2 and plays up to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion does everything you ask (great with 2p, plays up to 4 (team-based)!). Very light rules but the strategy within certainly isn't. And it's fun! And it uses these

Obviously it is a game about war however, it's very difficult for one player to just steamroll another player or screw them over. A tight game throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe, you keep pushing 1175 higher and higher on my wishlist. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel that my recommendations are great for those new to gaming. Those who are more experienced....... take it at your own risk devil

It is a lot of fun, though! The best way to discover it is to watch a playthrough, I'd imagine. Reading about it or watching a rules overview hardly conveys the levels of immersion within.

Want to attack someone? Just do it! Don't look up charts. Don't remember obscure exceptions. Don't see if ammo's running low or if your supply lines got cut off. Just roll the dice and do what they say, then proceed to either curse the dice gods or taunt your opponent with your superior armies and fighting abilities

I make the game sound like Risk. Hardly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... you all are slowly but surely convincing me about Troyes. Enough recommandations to stop ignoring it

You can keep the suggestions coming, I apreciate them a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.