Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
I'm trying to get the name of a board game that was probably produced in the 1960s. (It belonged to my uncle who was born in 1953; it was already moderately old when I first played it in the late 1970s.) I think it may have had the name of some murder mystery television show. I would thrilled to get the name so that I could hunt for it more effectively.

The board showed the outline of two large houses - a country house and a city house. Inside each house were yellow squares that were the possible rooms where the murder could have occurred.

There were three possible murder weapons - gun, knife or poison, and four tokens for each type.

There were 12 murder victims tokens - male or female under blankets that were each one of six different colors. The feet sticking out from under the blanket indicated the gender - small feet in little black heels for the females; large black dress shoes for the males.

There were 12 murderer tokens - people of different dress and hair colors - 6 possible clothing colors, 6 possible hair colors, two genders.

There were 7 types of cards with 6 in each - hair color, clothing color, gender, murder weapon, victim gender, victim blanket color, and location (country or city).

You begin with the board empty and all the cards in 7 separate piles. A player rolls two dice, red and blue - one die indicates what card the player should pick up (e.g. 1 for hair color, 2 for clothing color), one die indicates what token the player should put in some room (e.g. 1 and 2 for murderer, 3 and 4 for victim, 5 and 6 for weapon.) If a player rolls the same number on the dice (doubles), the player picks up a location card instead of the usual other 6 card types.

As players take turns, the murder rooms will gradually become populated with murders, victims and weapons - one of each in each room, and the players hands will gradually get one of each card type. The goal is to get the cards in your hand to exactly match one of the murder rooms. The first person to do so wins.

When you roll the number for a card type you *already* have in your hand, you get to pick up all the cards of that type still in the pile, look at all of them, and exchange any one of them for the one in your hand, if you want to do so.

I remember what some of the murderers look like:
1) a woman in a bright green dress with a full skirt, red hair
2) a woman in a narrow blue dress, pulling on her necklace (pearls?), with silver or white hair
3) a man in black tuxedo or suit, with red hair

The game was simple, but fun to play. I've never seen anything else very much like it.

Any ideas or suggestions you may have about how to figure out the name of this game would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus M.
Germany
flag msg tools
Might it have been Burke's Law?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anymunym wrote:
Might it have been Burke's Law?

Great sleuthing!!! That's gotta be it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
That is it!!!! Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.