United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the idea of the LCG die when some cards are only available through random packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Not when those cards are inelgiable for constructed play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or when those cards appear in the fixed base packs and not the random draft packs, like the draft identities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Harkness
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, do we know of any beyond the identities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
DropDeadCriminal wrote:
Doesn't the idea of the LCG die when some cards are only available through random packs?

Yes, but the LCG format is alive and well when the only extant draft-only cards are literally the most white-bread identities imaginable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaredRules wrote:

I highly doubt there will be many (if any) beyond the drafting Identities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Indeed.

Though I wouldn't mind too much it if the randomized draft packs included unique "draft only" cards, with "draft only" stamped all over them.

This would make opening draft packs a little more exciting, yet have absolutely no effect on constructed play. There is a bit of a "loophole" in the FFG statement about the nature of draft that allows for this but since constructed play is precluded, I don't see how that would change the nature of the non-draft game.

The real problems occur when you get constructed legal cards in draft that cannot be acquired via data-packs, but there is no indication that this will happen, and something of a promise that it won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
striatic wrote:
The real problems occur when you get constructed legal cards in draft that cannot be acquired via data-packs, but there is no indication that this will happen, and something of a promise that it won't.

This was the one point I scoured the article looking for. Seeing it there made me feel better. Because the moment they abandon that, I abandon the LCG format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"All cards found in draft packs, except for those cards marked as “draft only” will be legal in normal LCG® tournament play.

Except for the “draft only” cards, all cards found in draft packs are also found in normal existing (or future) LCG® products."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forster925 wrote:
"All cards found in draft packs, except for those cards marked as “draft only” will be legal in normal LCG® tournament play.

Except for the “draft only” cards, all cards found in draft packs are also found in normal existing (or future) LCG® products."

To me, this indicates a possible new route to spoil upcoming cards, but I believe what they're trying to say here is "when we release the next Draft Packs, they will contain different cards than these ones, drawn from the LCG card pool at the time of release"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Icedman wrote:
To me, this indicates a possible new route to spoil upcoming cards, but I believe what they're trying to say here is "when we release the next Draft Packs, they will contain different cards than these ones, drawn from the LCG card pool at the time of release"

It would be fun to encounter upcoming cards spoiled in this way, but even if they will be in a future data-pack I would still want "Draft Only" stamped all over them, to stop players trying to get a head start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also possible that they'll update the Tournament Rules to disallow cards from not-yet-released data packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
striatic wrote:
Icedman wrote:

It would be fun to encounter upcoming cards spoiled in this way, but even if they will be in a future data-pack I would still want "Draft Only" stamped all over them, to stop players trying to get a head start.

Agreed; I think this would be a relatively elegant solution, actually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
JaredRules wrote:

I pray this is so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
striatic wrote:
Indeed.
Though I wouldn't mind too much it if the randomized draft packs included unique "draft only" cards, with "draft only" stamped all over them.

Sorry, but what you said here scares the hell out of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huffa2 wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:
JaredRules wrote:

I pray this is so.
I so agree with you. FFG isn't the full blame for this, this is something that the fans wanted, but it's only because they have been so conditioned by their magic sets and other CCG that they feel they need this type of crap. So sad soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenMonkey11 wrote:
striatic wrote:
Indeed.

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenMonkey11 wrote:
striatic wrote:
Indeed.

Why does this bother you? If the card is for drafting only then who gives a shit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenMonkey11 wrote:
I so agree with you. FFG isn't the full blame for this, this is something that the fans wanted, but it's only because they have been so conditioned by their magic sets and other CCG that they feel they need this type of crap. So sad soblue

What? Have you ever played draft? It's not my favorite format, but it is a lot of fun.

I can think of a few times I've pitched LCGs to people, and they've said "Oh, that sounds all well and good, but if there's no sealed draft I'm not interested, because that's my favorite format." If it gets more people to play Netrunner, it's good. I will not be happy if draft replaces all other formats, but I don't see why that should happen. It hasn't happened with Magic, or any other game I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobvias Sudoneighm
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
ZenMonkey11 wrote:

It isn't crap. It is a self-contained variant of the game, with a fixed price. It is most certainly not the 100 dollar box buying treasure hunt that is Magic: The Gathering.

The only way this becomes a problem is if Netrunner: Draft becomes more popular than Netrunner: Constructed to the point where it becomes more difficult for you to find people to play constructed games with. There is no indication this will be the case. From looking at the history of sealed draft in CCGs, all evidence points to the draft format introducing new players to the game. This means you will have more people to play with, not less.

I'd even wager that Netrunner draft will lead more people to try constructed Netrunner than Magic: The Gathering draft leads people to try constructed Magic. The up-front costs for playing competitive constructed Netrunner are so much lower and less intimidating than those of playing competitive constructed Magic, so presumably there will be greater crossover.

... if draft play dominates to the point where it becomes more difficult for you to find people to play constructed with, and there is no evidence this will be the case, then you should be sad.

... if draft brings more people into the game for you to play constructed against, and there is every reason to believe it will, then you should be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
ZenMonkey11 wrote:
huffa2 wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:
JaredRules wrote:

I pray this is so.

Have faith. So far FFG has shown us nothing but spoilers and love. So don't worry. Be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endgame wrote:
It's also possible that they'll update the Tournament Rules to disallow cards from not-yet-released data packs.

They already do. Cards from sets after the currently released Data Packs are already banned from Tournament play. This was shown at Gencon when Opening Moves was banned despite being released early at the Convention. Since the product hadn't had an official/retail release, the Data pack was banned.

Since upcoming 'brand new' cards featured in drafts are not part of currently released Data packs, logic dictates that they are banned. Having a drafted new card (unless part of the most up to date Data pack release) is just as illegal as printing out cards spoiled on FFG news posts and trying to use those in tournament play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenMonkey11 wrote:
huffa2 wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:
JaredRules wrote:

I pray this is so.

Isn't the point of MTG drafting to provide a level playing field so that innate deck-building and deck-piloting skills can compete without it just being "he who can buy the most Rares wins?"

Isn't that pretty much the core concept of the LCG model?

This whole drafting thing seems like it should be fun, but I hope it doesn't become the go-to format. (That, and I just want to draft a 3rd Desperado whistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes, it would, if the only way to play NR was by playing draft with random packs. Since this is clearly not the case, it is still an LCG, but now with several separate ways to play.

The card pool will be taken from the LCG sets and the cards will be interchangeable between the formats (meaning that we in our gaming club, after several drafts, will able able to randomize our own draft packs with our surplus cards = Win!)

The only difference will be the personalities, and the rules cards, which will only be useable in actual drafts.

I am really looking forward to this product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting is a fun format. Thinking its just a money grab alone is wrong.

Hell, one of the highest rated board games of all time (7 Wonders) is based purely on drafting. Its a great game mechanic.

And I really really doubt that it will 'kill' constructed play. its just not going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.