Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup, I got this letter back in September. My insurance is apparently non-compliant with the good ol' ACA. So now I can look forward to enhanced benefits like mammogram screenings, child birth services, and substance use services for me and my 8 & 6 year old girls. Can anyone explain why I as a single, primary dad need that enhanced coverage? I can't either but Obama has mandated it and I get to pay for it.

So does anyone want to take bets that my middle class ass isn't going to pay a higher rate, have a higher deductible, or most likely both?

BTW, in case you all didn't notice, this is employer based coverage we are talking about here. It isn't just limited to the self-employed as many would have you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the letter. The wording is interesting in the way it implies that they were required to drop the previous plan, but doesn't actually state that. That's probably because the grandfather clause in the law would have allowed them to continue to provide the previous coverage, but they chose not to.

Your previous plan probably covered most of the things you are complaining about here. When you are in a group plan, the same menu of services is available to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
What the ACA has given me and my family of six:
- $4900 increase in premiums per year
- deductible has tripled
- emergency room, labs, and drugs are now subject to the deductible
- preventative care is now 100% covered (How's that for a silver lining!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Thanks for posting the letter. The wording is interesting in the way it implies that they were required to drop the previous plan, but doesn't actually state that. That's probably because the grandfather clause in the law would have allowed them to continue to provide the previous coverage, but they chose not to.

Your previous plan probably covered most of the things you are complaining about here. When you are in a group plan, the same menu of services is available to everyone.

Substance abuse services are not covered in my current plan. I cannot verify the others at this time but you are most likely right. Regardless, my plan will be getting worse, not better, as far as my needs go.

And no-go on the grandfather clause as we had just changed insurance carriers last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nonetheless, millions of Americans are still getting such letters. So, it only means that the implementer of this change in the American healthcare system didn't account for this eventuality. Indeed, it was promised that it wouldn't happen.

It's not my fault, my dog ate my homework. Bad things very rarely just happen out of the blue. There is always an immediate cause of the problem. Some people are inattentive a leave their homework where the dog can get at it. Other people have thought the matter through, and knowing that there's a dog in the house make sure that their homework is secure. That's why the dog-ate-my-homework excuse is never accepted.

Even so, many people predicted this, didn't they, and I recall it being argued at length how this was not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had a friend with a similar letter stated that they drop his insurance and that his plan was the same as the gold level ACA plan, and I am thinking, well if it was indeed the gold level then is had to be compliant to begin with.

So my question is did my friend lie about the level of coverage he really had, or is the insurance company lying when they say it is no longer compliant?

It's funny how the ACA is hitting our resident conservatives the hardest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
phosrik wrote:
And no-go on the grandfather clause as we had just changed insurance carriers last year.

So you had to change plans last year and that wasn't the fault of Obama?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phosrik wrote:

So does anyone want to take bets that my middle class ass isn't going to pay a higher rate, have a higher deductible, or most likely both?

When was the last year your rates "didn't" go up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
phosrik wrote:

When was the last year your rates "didn't" go up?

Last year when we changed they actually went down. The year prior they were stable though comparatively high to most other plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Don't forget the free birth control!!!

But don't worry your health insurance premiums will go down because Democrats say so.

Oh wow! I didn't know I'll get that too. Maybe I can make some cool balloons with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the luck. Almost ever policy Obama passes is just ramming you guys up the butt. I think Obama may actually be out to get you. Heh, if it was for bad luck, you guys would have no luck at all.

Here is hoping 2016 treats you all better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
My rates are skyrocketing this year, just like they have been for the last 13 years of employment. No better or worse than usual. When I was first married, our insurance, granted we were double insured, covered 100% of damn near everything. When we went through a troubled pregnancy, we payed exactly zero on our bill of about $40,000+ of prenatal care, ambulances, hospital stays, C-section and two weeks of NICU. If we had the same situation happen today, we'd be on the hook for at least 20% of it, which still wouldn't put us up against our out of pocket maximums that those actuaries (evil, vile people) have made sure we will get close to every year but never quite hit.

So... business as usual. I could pretend it's all Obama's fault, but I'd have to have selective memory about the 12 years prior to this year. That said, he certainly hasn't done anything to fix it for me or anybody I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have amazing insurance when I hear the numbers being coughed around. I think I pay maybe 65-70 per paycheck(biweekly) for a single coverage and here's the benefits loadout: http://ohr.psu.edu/benefits/insurance/health/overview-of-cov...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad retired a couple of years ago. His emploer's insurance covered my parents for the first year of retirement, but then they had to buy their own plan. (They're in their early 60s so not old enough to qualify for Medicare). They had that for about a year. In September they got a notice from their provider about changes that were being made to their plan. Their rate went up 60%. They now need to pay for services they really don't want (like maternity coverage). I didn't see the letter, but as they described it to me the plan was changed primarily because the company is no longer allowed to screen out preexisting conditions. I guess fortunately for them they'll only have to put up with it for a few years before they can start sucking from the Medicare teat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
I must have amazing insurance when I hear the numbers being coughed around. I think I pay maybe 65-70 per paycheck(biweekly) for a single coverage and here's the benefits loadout: http://ohr.psu.edu/benefits/insurance/health/overview-of-cov...

First, "single coverage." Second, do you know how much of your premium your employer pays?

I have a wife and four children, and we have to pay the whole bill.

I am reminded of an experience my mother had when one of my little brothers was hospitalized with RSV in Flagstaff, Arizona. She was complaining about hospital prices (they had charged her an outrageous amount for a tube of Desitin) to another mother there--a young woman from the Navajo reservation who had brought her child into town for special care.

The woman's innocent, earnest reply was, "You should try moving to the Reservation. Everything there is free!"

I like to remind people that if you are not paying the bill, you are not the customer. A corollary to that might be, "affordable" takes on a whole different meaning when it's not your money being spent.

My Employer doesn't pay any premium. PSU is it's own healthcare provider, it just uses blue shield to 'manage' the plan. All coverage is paid by US/PSU in a shared amount. We pay a premium to PSU for the coverage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Nonetheless, millions of Americans are still getting such letters. So, it only means that the implementer of this change in the American healthcare system didn't account for this eventuality. Indeed, it was promised that it wouldn't happen.

That's not a promise a US President can make. The President cannot force a private insurer to keep offering a product it doesn't want to offer; Congress can't. The best that can be done is not give them an affirmative reason to do something unwanted.

I think what we're seeing here is a lot of raising of profits by insurers, using ACA as cover. Another possible factor is the 80/20 rule (80% of premiums must be used for medical costs; 20% for admin & profit). If that pools exchange and non-exchange plans (anyone know?), the insurers could cut profits in the most highly competitive exchanges (like California's) and make it up from the rest of their policies (and blame it on ACA).

A friend has had a similar experience, but he's found an equivalent plan for less on the exchange. You can buy on the exchange even if you get employer insurance, though you can't get subsidies. If you make enough that you wouldn't get a subsidy anyway, prices on the exchanges may be lower than for your employer unless your employer is very large--market forces.

If you have a favorite doctor, call his office and get a list of insurers he accepts/is a PPO for/etc.

SabreRedleg wrote:
My dad retired a couple of years ago. His emploer's insurance covered my parents for the first year of retirement, but then they had to buy their own plan. (They're in their early 60s so not old enough to qualify for Medicare). They had that for about a year. In September they got a notice from their provider about changes that were being made to their plan. Their rate went up 60%. They now need to pay for services they really don't want (like maternity coverage). I didn't see the letter, but as they described it to me the plan was changed primarily because the company is no longer allowed to screen out preexisting conditions. I guess fortunately for them they'll only have to put up with it for a few years before they can start sucking from the Medicare teat.

If both your parents qualify for SSA retirement, I think the trick is to have the spouse who will get the lower benefits take retirement at 62, giving both Medicare. Then at 71 (or whenever benefits max out), the higher earner turns on SSA retirement, getting the highest benefit possible. Whoever the survivor is, they'll get the higher benefits.

Medicare HMOs can be extremely cost-effective. (Called Medicare Advantage or some such silly name.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

First, "single coverage." Second, do you know how much of your premium your employer pays?

I am reminded of an experience my mother had when one of my little brothers was hospitalized with RSV in Flagstaff, Arizona. She was complaining about hospital prices (they had charged her an outrageous amount for a tube of Desitin) to another mother there--a young woman from the Navajo reservation who had brought her child into town for special care.

The woman's innocent, earnest reply was, "You should try moving to the Reservation. Everything there is free!"

I like to remind people that if you are not paying the bill, you are not the customer. A corollary to that might be, "affordable" takes on a whole different meaning when it's not your money being spent.

I recall once having a light conversation amongst several people. One person listed every liberal and progressive program and initiative one could imagine and then some, as what she would implement.

I asked, "OK, but who's going to pay for all that?"

She looked at me dumbfounded, "the government!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
isaacc wrote:

It's not my fault, my dog ate my homework. Bad things very rarely just happen out of the blue. There is always an immediate cause of the problem. Some people are inattentive a leave their homework where the dog can get at it. Other people have thought the matter through, and knowing that there's a dog in the house make sure that their homework is secure. That's why the dog-ate-my-homework excuse is never accepted.

Even so, many people predicted this, didn't they, and I recall it being argued at length how this was not possible.

Isaac, I've posted information about them predicting that 93 million Americans would lose their coverage. They chose to lie about it instead of telling the truth. It was an intentional lie, not something that was done in ignorance.

The lies about exaggerating potential issues aren't really any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
phosrik wrote:
So now I can look forward to enhanced benefits like mammogram screenings, child birth services, and substance use services for me and my 8 & 6 year old girls.

Give your girls a couple more years and you might just be able to take advantage of the substance abuse and child birth coverage.

phosrik wrote:
BTW, in case you all didn't notice, this is employer based coverage we are talking about here. It isn't just limited to the self-employed as many would have you think.

Does that mean your employer is going to have to pay the increased rate? I thought that's how employer based coverage worked. Are they going to cut your salary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

It's funny how the ACA is hitting our resident conservatives the hardest.

Maybe it's a punishment for posting crap in RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan was compliant and has not changed one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a notice from my insurance company that my old plan is being cancelled. Under my new plan I have to give my first-born child to the government, and every friday is now a mandatory anal-probing day which of course isn't covered by the plan.

Thanks a lot, Obama.
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
My plan was compliant and has not changed one bit.

Your single anecdotal case is not data. Rich's,on the other hand, is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
lfisher wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Isaac, I've posted information about them predicting that 93 million Americans would lose their coverage. They chose to lie about it instead of telling the truth. It was an intentional lie, not something that was done in ignorance.

The lies about exaggerating potential issues aren't really any better.

Those are the administration's own numbers. It's not a lie at all.

The report had ranges of percentages.
Extrapolating a worst case scenario to numbers and calling them cancelled doesn't make it so. Besides "losing grandfather status" does not translate to cancelled or losing coverage.

There's lies, damn lies, and statistics, but you and Avik Roy know that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Alaren wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I recall once having a light conversation amongst several people. One person listed every liberal and progressive program and initiative one could imagine and then some, as what she would implement.

I asked, "OK, but who's going to pay for all that?"

She looked at me dumbfounded, "the government!"

Man, your made-up acquaintance sure does sound stupid. Good thing you were there to enlighten her in that conversation that never happened anywhere to anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.