Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
It's coming up on Christmas shopping time, so I'm starting to put my thinking cap on.

My sister likes to put jigsaw puzzles together, but she's always lamenting how it takes up the whole table. I thought for Christmas I would get her a puzzle, one of those "roll-up" mats, and some jigsaw glue (in case she wants to frame it at the end. Since I don't know the first thing about kigsaw puzzles, I figured I would turn to BGG, and hope there's enough of a crossover that someone here could help.

So, please recommend to me the best:
1. Jigsaw puzzle mat.
2. Puzzle glue.
3. Jigsaw puzzle company (good quality pieces, nice art, etc).

I hope there are enough puzzle enthusiasts here. Otherwise I don't know where to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never used puzzle glue or a mat, so I can't help with those. I can recommend a couple puzzle companies.

I really like Ravensburger. Their pieces may not have the most original shapes, but they fit together beautifully and are high quality. Ravensburger has nice pictures on their puzzles, too.

Springbok puzzles are good, too. I haven't done one in a long time, but they were always fun to put together. Nice, thick, interestingly shaped pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cordingley
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mevitale wrote:
I really like Ravensburger. Their pieces may not have the most original shapes, but they fit together beautifully and are high quality. Ravensburger has nice pictures on their puzzles, too.

Springbok puzzles are good, too. I haven't done one in a long time, but they were always fun to put together. Nice, thick, interestingly shaped pieces.

+1 to both Ravensburger and Springbok. I've been getting my mother jigsaw puzzles every Christmas and I by and large stick with those two companies...the quality is just that step above a lot of the others.

Never used a puzzle mat, however Puzzle Conserver Puzzle Glue has been pretty good to me...if you go here:

http://www.lesjeux.ca/index.php

It's a fairly good Canadian site, and they sell Puzzle Conserver for 10$...

You can also go direct to Springbok

http://www.springbok-puzzles.com/

Just be aware that they're from Kansas City, so shipping up here to us can get a little pricey...I can't say I've ordered direct from Ravensburger yet, but if you look at some hobby shops and whatnot you can probably find some good Ravensburgers, as they are quite popular.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not keen on the roll-up mats, but for storing or transporting partially completed jigsaws, you can't go past a jigsort (http://www.jigthings.com/puzzle-cases/). If you don't know what size of jigsaw she tends to prefer, then the 1000 piece is probably your best bet.

In terms of jigsaw companies, Ravensburger, Heye, Educa and Clementoni are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only advice for jigsaws is get a painting by Charles Wysocki. His paintings make the most awesome puzzles. We won't even do a puzzle of a photograph any more. Wysocki's paintings have distinct areas that are perfect mini-puzzles.

Also, if it takes up too much table space, get a 550 piece puzzle instead of a 1000 piece puzzle and they can finish it in an evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
richcharters wrote:
My only advice for jigsaws is get a painting by Charles Wysocki.

Ha, in our house, it's the similar Jane Wooster Scott; I just picked up two new Ceaco JWS puzzles tonight from the FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Other good names are Ceaco and Buffalo Games (BGI). I'm really impressed with BGI's big, sturdy pieces. But most of the big names are decent quality (many of the no-names *are not*), so it's really the picture and style of puzzle you want that's most important.

We use the Ravensburger Puzzle Store, which fits perfectly under our half-sofa. For as many jigsaws as we do, that was a great investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thank you all so much for the responses! That Wysocki painting is really neat.

I was looking at this painting or this map (both are Ravensburger), but I guess at 2000 or 3000 they're both a little big for most of the affordable storage totes and maps.

I also had no idea there was this much stuff in puzzles, from tote bags to maps to piece sorters. It's all very interesting.

Thank you again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jacqland wrote:
I was looking at this painting or this map (both are Ravensburger), but I guess at 2000 or 3000 they're both a little big for most of the affordable storage totes and maps.

I have that map puzzle from Ravenburger, my girlfriend and I did it in a little over a month. It was a lot of fun, but it took up our whole dining room table. We don't use the table for much other than gaming anyway. The best thing about that map is it creates several mini-puzzles from each of the distint sections. I now have it hanging in our guest room and it looks great on the wall. I just used some glue and cardboard to hold it together because I couldn't find a frame large enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.