Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like playing 2 player games in short sets that have a best of X set-up. For instance, Jaipur comes out of the box with this rule set, win by getting 2 out of 3 victories.

I am looking for more games suitable for this kind of play. The best game would be about a 15 minute round, so the whole match would take less than an hour.

For this partnership, games like Summoner Wars and Race for the Galaxy have been tried but take too long. Yomi had a good theme but the game play itself was too repetitive. Flash Duel also had the same theme but game play was too short. Puzzle Strike and other deck builders are not an interesting mechanic to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Court of the Medici
Arcana
Battle Line

Good Luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 fits your desire perfectly. 15 minutes per match is the absolutely max I could imagine with this game, and it is easy to learn and play.

Love Letter is another one. I'm a 2 player game, the winner is the first to 7 wins, and the game rounds are super fast and fun as well.

Those are the two games my wife requests most often when she doesn't want to commit to longer playing games.

Battle Line mentioned above is a great game, but I doubt you could get much more than 2 games in an hour, so that may not fit your requirements, but it is a fun game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex!

Hive

The suggestion of Battle Line is very good.

And I really really encourage you to take a look at The Duke. Excellent chess like abstract where you pull your pieces from a bag. Pieces have variable powers that change when used. Games take 10 to 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Arena: Roma II
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Love Letter and Hive are good.

Pick-a-Pig and Ghost Blitz are several quick rounds until the deck runs out. These are dexterity games though. Maybe not as much depth as you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale

If dice games would be OK, look at:
Qwixx
Can't Stop
Ra: The Dice Game

Definitely +1 Battle Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: War of Indines

The games can be a bit long at first, but once you know the system, and, more importantly, once you know the characters, you can get a quick game in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like to play best 2 out of 3 for Magnate

Other options:
The City
Utopian Rummy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line - Open the box, lay out 9 pawns, shuffle the cards, deal the cards, start playing. First player to win 3 adjacent pawns, or 5 total pawns wins. Each turn consists of playing a card then drawing a card.

Easy, fast, tense, and fun. It's what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brawl series offers fights that take about 60 seconds, and lots of character options. Also you can play with more players, but it was designed for two.

Cribbage is a classic in my house. Games take about 20 minutes. You can track victories, skunks, points, etc. Nicer boards have tracks for all of them so you can tally your payout (such things are usually for gambling) at the end. Once after being stuck at the Las Vegas airport for 6 hours, my wife and I ended up with a perfect tie. Just playing for an hour is totally acceptable.

Triumvirate is a 2 player trick taking game where you play out several rounds, it's actually quite good.

BattleCON: War of Indines and Pixel Tactics are both fairly short games, with 2 out of 3 a key idea for Pixel Tactics, since in later round you can't pick the leaders you have chosen earlier.

Blokus, Ingenious, and even Starbase Jeff are all interesting abstracts, with Jeff having money carrying over between rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Battle Line
+1 Can't Stop
Mr. Jack Pocket is short enough you could play rounds... indeed, you should each at least play each side once.

also, 2 games that you might not think would work 2 player, but really do, and are both quick enough for multiple rounds...

Las Vegas 2-player, with the "official" neutral dice variant, is superb
Zooloretto: The Dice Game 3 and 4 player it is a chaotic but fun cute little family game. 2 player it is a gamer's brain burner packed into 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely need to try the Legacy format of magic the gathering, and yes, it is that different from the other formats. There is thirty or so viable champion decks and almost all play best of three in much less than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars: Master Set and Smash Up for massive amount of replayability using different decks each time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Battle Line.

Another thought would be to explore some smaller card games that track points, irrespective of rounds played (like The Bottle Imp or Parade )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lost Cities - 2 player card game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
+1 Battle Line
+1 Can't Stop
Mr. Jack Pocket is short enough you could play rounds... indeed, you should each at least play each side once.

also, 2 games that you might not think would work 2 player, but really do, and are both quick enough for multiple rounds...

Las Vegas 2-player, with the "official" neutral dice variant, is superb
Zooloretto: The Dice Game 3 and 4 player it is a chaotic but fun cute little family game. 2 player it is a gamer's brain burner packed into 15 minutes.

Listen to this post. ALL of his recomendations are outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this type of two player gaming with my son often. Our top 3 for this right now are:

Jaipur, which you already own and play.

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, a 'Mr Jack' game, where we can easily get a play of each side in quickly

and
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition), which I see you say doesn't interest you. May want to give it a try, as I think it has a different feel than most deck builders. It DOES feel like a 1v1 combat game to me.

In any case, I'll be watching the thread closely, as these types of games hold great appeal for me as well.

(gonna see if I can find Zooloretto: The Dice Game now...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nold
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haggis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive, Hive, and more Hive. (One game is never enough.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is undeniable as a stellar 2 player game.
Pixel Tactics is great too.

I also recently played Card of the Dead and found it pleasantly enjoyable. Its not better than Love Letter for the same price, but okay if you wanted zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
tevacircus wrote:
For this partnership, games like Summoner Wars and Race for the Galaxy have been tried but take too long. Yomi had a good theme but the game play itself was too repetitive. Flash Duel also had the same theme but game play was too short. Puzzle Strike and other deck builders are not an interesting mechanic to me.

Well if you're rejecting the Sirlin games, and Brawl is too short for your timeframe, then BattleCON is probably the way to go. Maybe take a look at The Duke as a relatively short, solid 2-player which could easily be used for best-of-x series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Ooh, I forgot about Mr. Jack Pocket. That's another good one.

It seems to heavily favor whomever plays Sherlock Holmes though, so we either halve the number of turns/hour glass victory requirements for Jack, or instead of doing "best out of X" we play 2 rounds and see who can find the culprit the fastest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great games that play in 15m or less:

Mr. Jack Pocket
The Battle for Hill 218
Hive

Many of the games listed take longer.

Also, have a look at Eight-Minute Empire or Eight-Minute Empire: Legends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.