Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Capturing" Allied Territory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trolleymart trolleymart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
When discussing the liberation of an allied powers territory (page 21 of Europe rulebook), the rules state that "If the original controller's capital is in enemy hands at the end of the turn in which you would have otherwise have liberated the territory, you capture the territory instead. You adjust your national production level..."

I see clearly how this applies to French territories that have been captured by the enemy in Europe and North Africa (Southern France, Normandy, Morocco, Algeria, etc.). My question is how does this rule apply to territories that were never in enemy hands. For example, let's say that the other French territories in Africa (French Equatorial Africa, French West Africa, Central Africa) had never been controlled by the Axis. Could America or GB "capture" those territories and earn their IPC? Or must they have first been owned by the Axis in order for the allies to "liberate" them? Because that extra $$ would sure be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They must be recaptured from an enemy power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without some sort of rules representing Vichy France, the rules end up in a sort of in between place. After France "surrenders" (loses it's capital) French territories don't support the Allied economy but French units continue to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
Krieghund wrote:
They must be recaptured from an enemy power.

This is certainly correct from the rules standpoint but, if there's ever a 3rd edition, I think this should be changed. Historically I remember the French continuing to support the allies in exile, especially the Brits, and I figure this would best represent that. Granted, the French don't have much colonial territory value in 1940, and its all pretty much out of the way for the Brits, but I think it'd be a good house rule that you capture allied territory when their capital is in enemy hands, even if the specific territory isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.