Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Recently I got a selection of the Lost Wonders from Print & Play Productions. I've played a couple games with them now and I have to say, they're really fun.

First game I had Antioch against Rhodes and Persepolis. (All three randomly selected.) Decided to play without leaders to see how the boards played out. When I picked out the set this was the one I spent longest debating over. It just looked really hard to play. I chose side B, and yes, it was hard. I got lucky with the guilds and won by a few points, but I will choose side A in future three player games. There just aren't enough Commerce cards once my opponents realize they should keep them from me.

Next game we switched wonders and I played with Persepolis side A. We don't have Cities yet so we had agreed to call black purple instead. Good run with Civilian but I lost to Rhodes (with Science/Military). Also, not as lucky with guilds this go round.

It was obvious that a lot of effort went into coming up with abilities and balancing the stages. I'm excited to try more. Hopefully I can get a bigger group.

The nine Lost Wonders I chose are below. These were picked mainly because they fit the theme of the original seven, but also for balanced starting resources. There is one of each resource/commodity and two special abilities. For Ithaca, we agreed to use the matching discards from each age instead of Myth cards. (Unless I give in and print those later.)
-Antiócheia
-Atlantis
-Babel
-Capua
-Ithákê
-Persepolis
-Sparta
-Tártaros
-Uruk

P.s. Never having posted a session report, I wasn't sure if this would be detailed enough so I'm putting it under general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myths is my favorite 7 Wonders expansion. I like it even more than Leaders and Cities. Give in and print it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono Naito
United States
Red Hook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My game group had some fun designing a few wonders of their own, but wanted more variety first before dabbling in creation. So we pitched in and got the Lost Wonders and so far they are making quite an impact!

Antiocheia, Atlantis, Babel, Capua, Chichen ITza, El Dorado, Persopolis, Sparta, Tartaros, Uruk and Venezia are all in our games now, and we have started keeping a statistics board to track our progress with the boards. We normally have such a demand to play we have two people to a board! I can't get over Tartaros, it has been a favorite, and our military players are excited to see more variety.

What surprised us the most was playing against Uruk B, which we described as "the Nice Board", but then that player smashed us all by a long shot. Never trusting smiling Uruk again, that's for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scot: That'll probably happen after Christmas. After all, there's plenty left to discover in what I just got. Did I mention I had Andrew print Empires too? whistle

Jono: Sounds like you need another base set! Picturing that is pretty funny. Tartaros is pretty high up on my list to play but now I feel the need to grab Uruk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shima Tetsuo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hou, thanks a lot for your review. Your way of selecting some wonders is exactly what I hoped people would do.

I also saw that both of you chose the wonders that are quite easy in term of complexity. After a hundred of sessions, I have to say that these are also my favorites. The only one that you should give to a experimented player is Spart B, which is challenging but can be hard to play.

I don't need to stick to the theme, so my selection will always contain : Antiocheia, Atlantis, Persepolis, Sparta, Tartaros, Uruk, Helvetia, Venezia, Angkor Wat, Chichen Itza, Yamato and RTTA.

Antoine Bauza told me once that simple board are better. After playing a lot with complex ones, I have to say he was more than right.

So check Lost Wonders 2, which contains 10 new boards and should be available on BGG next week-end. I'm sure that some wonders will please you both (especially Pompeii, Elysian Fields and Nibbur that are quite simple and stick perfectly to the theme).

Oh, and of course, don't forget Empire : simple and well-balanced boards with an accurate historical context.

For Ithake, don't play it if you don't have Myths. Ithake is a little weak with that house-rule. If I may, A side could be played without Myths if middle stage power is exactly the same as the middle one on Babylon B. But don't use B side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can't release 10 more wonders! I have to write papers at some point this semester. When will that happen? Will I completely fail out? And how will I fit everything into a single box?

I'm not really a stickler on theme, but I don't have many pnp resources (like a color printer) at school. If I made them myself I probably would have done the whole set. I think my 26 wonders (plus Jerusalem) will keep us from getting bored for a while, but I'll have to look into these 10 new ones anyway.

As for Ithake, of course you may! I agree that it probably won't hit the table without Myths. It's more of a constant reminder I should make them one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono Naito
United States
Red Hook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We are likely going to get another base set!

Also, ten more? Wow. I am very much a fan of simplicity, so I am interested in what will be coming our way! Our game group had the first test of our fan made expansion today. It is interesting trying to ad simple mechanics jn new ways. This is true for wonders too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.