10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Copycat: passing unrezzed ice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
koko klein
Canada
flag msg tools
Picked up Second Thoughts today and had this question.

It seems that you can "pass" unrezzed ice (see False Echo). Copycat's language doesn't mention that the ice you pass has to be rezzed (though the second copy must be). If I know what a piece of unrezzed ice is (having de-rezzed or exposed it earlier), and the corp doesn't rez, I'm assuming I can use Copycat?

If so, could I pass a piece of unrezzed ice and use Copycat without knowing what it is? Would the corp have to expose the ice if they wanted to demonstrate that it's not applicable? What if the two ice didn't match, but the corp wanted to redirect the run?

Card text:

Copycat: "Whenever you pass a piece of ice, you may trash Copycat. If you do, choose another rezzed copy of that piece of ice protecting any server. The run continues as if you had just passed the chosen piece of ice (you are now running from this new position)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it says "another rezzed", I would assume the first would have to be rezzed. Would help you know what it is too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think considering you have to actually know what the ICE is implies that it must be rezzed.

Although, a situation could occur where you expose or de-rez a piece of ICE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be getting caught up on the word "passed" in the card text. It doesn't say anything about rezzed or unrezzed in the first part of the text. It just says "whenever you pass a piece of ice." I read that as though passing a piece of ice means you've gone up against a rezzed piece of ice and beat its sub-routines. I don't think you actually pass a piece of unrezzed ice so much as you just bypass it if the corp player chooses not to rez it.

I think the spirit of the card essentially allows a runner to jump to another server with that same piece of ice they just passed which would most likely allow them easier access to the new server itself or virtually free access if that other ice was the last blockade for that server. Seems like a beneficial card later in the game when the corp has numerous servers with multiple similar ice in place. The card also seems kind of pointless if the corp player plays with a multitude of different ice.

Not sure I'd really ever have that card in my deck, but then again I usually lose so what do I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Zetterman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markaaronmassey wrote:
I think you may be getting caught up on the word "passed" in the card text. It doesn't say anything about rezzed or unrezzed in the first part of the text. It just says "whenever you pass a piece of ice." I read that as though passing a piece of ice means you've gone up against a rezzed piece of ice and beat its sub-routines. I don't think you actually pass a piece of unrezzed ice so much as you just bypass it if the corp player chooses not to rez it.

You do pass unrezzed ICE. Look at the text from False Echo: "Whenever you pass a piece of unrezzed ice, you may trash False Echo. If you do, the Corp must rez that ice or add it to HQ."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
discarded wrote:

Card text:
Copycat: "Whenever you pass a piece of ice, you may trash Copycat. If you do, choose another rezzed copy of that piece of ice protecting any server. The run continues as if you had just passed the chosen piece of ice (you are now running from this new position)."

If you could use it on unrezzed ice, it would read:
Copycat: "Whenever you pass a piece of ice, you may trash Copycat. If you do, choose a rezzed copy of that piece of ice protecting any server. The run continues as if you had just passed the chosen piece of ice (you are now running from this new position).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think "another" in the second sentence implies that the ICE in the first sentence must also be rezzed. There would be other, less awkward, wordings available if that were not the intention. I agree though, it's not 100% clear. FFG really need to employ someone with a degree in English to help with wording and templating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerf wrote:
markaaronmassey wrote:

You do pass unrezzed ICE. Look at the text from False Echo: "Whenever you pass a piece of unrezzed ice, you may trash False Echo. If you do, the Corp must rez that ice or add it to HQ."

You are correct sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Parakenings
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
xenakis wrote:
Yeah, I think "another" in the second sentence implies that the ICE in the first sentence must also be rezzed. There would be other, less awkward, wordings available if that were not the intention. I agree though, it's not 100% clear. FFG really need to employ someone with a degree in English to help with wording and templating.

My degrees and I wish it were that simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be unambiguous all the card wordings should be in Python. Then you could just copy the text straight into OCTGN and have it work!*

*This wouldn't actually work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.