Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello David, I just watched your video describing the game. On the end game side of the tracker, you pointed out the danger of putting all your actions into the first box at once, stating that they are frozen in the middle box for one round. The manual shows cubes frozen in both the middle and the end box. From what you said, this is a misprint. Are the cubes that go into the third box removed immediately, or are they stuck in the third box for another cycle? This makes a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the manuel is correct.
But as you can imagine, with a camera on your face and too little time to explain the system to do it justice, I might have left a few details out here and there. The first box is in a way the pool that gathers the actions just spend...so I don't see this as being actually "frozen"...this could definitly said about the second box that blocks the present cubes from use.
As soon as these blocks enter the third box you can take them back.
The cubes in the right box are returned to the speciifc owners, as the rules state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

As soon as these blocks enter the third box you can take them back.
The cubes in the right box are returned to the speciifc owners, as the rules state.

That's not exactly what the image on page 21 shows.

According to the rulebook, cubes that enter the 3rd square stay on the board (are frozen) until the next "shift" is triggered. Meaning that the cubes stay in the right-most box. When the shift triggers and the cubes in the right-most box would move "off" the board, they are returned to the players.

So which is it? If players would get cubes back immediately when these cubes reach the right box, the image on page 21 wouldn't have all 3 boxes of full of cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The image is indeed confusing.
the crucial line in the rules is:

For each action a player performs, he places one of his action markers on the leftmost box of the multitracker.
When a sixth marker is placed in this box (or possibly sooner) the cubes in all 3 boxes shift to the right.
As a result, the markers in the first box will land in the center box, triggering a nemesis reaction. If the right space holds markers, return them to the appropriate players.

This is why the third box has that bend arrow symbol, representing the fact the cubes that are shifting into this box are returned to their owners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

For each action a player performs, he places one of his action markers on the leftmost box of the multitracker.
When a sixth marker is placed in this box (or possibly sooner) the cubes in all 3 boxes shift to the right.
As a result, the markers in the first box will land in the center box, triggering a nemesis reaction. If the right space holds markers, return them to the appropriate players.

This is why the third box has that bend arrow symbol, representing the fact the cubes that are shifting into this box are returned to their owners.

My apologies, but I think I'm still confused on this issue. Let's "play it out" using the image in the book.

1. The showdown begins. The first box (leftmost) is filled with 2 green and 3 yellow action cubes. The players decide to trigger the nemesis reaction.
2. The 2 green and 3 yellow cubes are moved to the middle box.
3. Nemesis Reacts
4. Three red and a green cube(s) are placed in the first (leftmost) box. The players decide to trigger the nemesis reaction.
5. The 2 green and 3 yellow cubes move to the right-most box, the three red and a green cube move to the center box.
6. The nemesis reacts

If the players are to IMMEDIATELY receive the 2 green and 3 yellow cubes due to them being moved into the 3rd box, why does the image in the book show four blue cubes, a yellow, and a green cube in the leftmost box. At this point in the game the leftmost box should be empty if the 2 green and 3 yellow cubes come off the board. So the image is incorrect if this is the case.

OR the turn continues and the 2 green and 3 yellow remain on the board.
7. Four blue cubes, a yellow, and a green cube are placed in the first box.
8. All cubes are shifted to the right: the cubes in the rightmost box NOW return to their owners.
9. the nemesis reacts.

Sorry for the drawn out discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem Luke.
The rules are correct.
It is the example that suggests something incorrect.
The last box should have had no cubes to reflect the rule when the middle cubes shift to the right box that are returned to the owners.
The example should definitly be reworked in a new printing of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You David and Luke. The picture is what made me miss the very concise words in the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
Thank You David and Luke. The picture is what made me miss the very concise words in the text.

Agreed. This definitely makes the endgame a bit easier :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Girard
United States
Morrisonville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hells Yes it does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

It's not only the example, but the rules as written. I bolded the confusing written part. How can their be cubes in all three boxes moving to the right if there are not supposed to be any in that third box?

Thank you for the clarification, but I have come to the conclusion that the rulebook is poorly written.

Their are other examples. I know in the final showdown rules, they refer you to page 8 of the rulebook for fire rules, when none exist on that page.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

Their are other examples. I know in the final showdown rules, they refer you to page 8 of the rulebook for fire rules, when none exist on that page.

Jorune

I think it's because of an automated cross reference referring to page 8 in the PDF document but which is labeled page 7.

I certainly agree that the rules could have been more thoroughly edited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch John and Luke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.